Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on an unexpected stay in Indiana helping family. While there I was introduced to Rural King. Those of you that have them, you're already familiar. For those of you that don't, it is like a Tractor Supply and Academy Sports love child. The one that went in where the folks live is in an old Wal-Mart. I love that place. While we were there, the first time, the wife insisted that I get these:

IMAG1072.jpg

IMAG1073.jpg

They are my first "cowboy style" boots and they are quite comfortable. I wanted rubber soles as I spend quite a bit of time on the concrete warehouse floors at work. Now my question for those more boot educated than I. What kind of socks do you wear in warmer weather? I've got cold weather covered.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good white cotton tube type sox. Good luck, and Godspeed!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wear the same socks year round for all shoes/boots, medium weight Merino wool, I happened to find mine at Cabela's,
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Socks/Mens-Hiking-Socks|/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/105550380/i/104030280/Cabelas-Ultimate-1134-Medium-Weight-Crew-Wool-Socks/721731.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/mens-hiking-socks/cabelas/_/N-1102529+1000002949/Ne-1000002949/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104030280?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104797980%3Bcat104747580%3Bcat105550380&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU&WTz_l=SBC;cat104797980;cat104747580;cat105550380;cat104030280
but they are common all over now. I never needed socks as high as the boots go. My Chippawas and Tony Lamas are nicely lined and don't bother my chalky white legs one bit. Like ice skates, you should fit the boots wearing the socks you want, you get a better fit than doing the reverse.

BTW, Rural King has a very good mail order department, quick delivery and usually free shipping.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Wool socks will keep you cooler in summer because they will wick moisture away from your foot. You want socks with 80% or higher wool content. Of course, wool socks will also keep you warm in winter, and for partially the same reason. :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Good white cotton tube type sox. Good luck, and Godspeed!
X2:thumbup1gif:
Buying new cowboy style boots in the winter months is tough around here. I normally put them on and stand in the bath tub with about 6-8 inches of warm/hot water until they are good and wet and then go about my day. Two days later your boots are like a fine fitted glove.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I wear Justin boot socks with my pull on boots. Regular tube socks tend to fall down on me if I don't wear lace up boots, the longer boot socks "hold" above the calf and stay up.
+1 here. Not only for staying up, but for the cushion they provide. They also wick moisture, in a really warm day.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Gold toe, over the calf from JC Penney. They stay up plus they last. I've worn cowboy/slip on boots since high school. Best socks I have found.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a motorcycle rider, I have found the brand Rev'It to make the best socks for boots. They are a bit spendy at $36.00 a pair but these things are worth every penny.

REV'IT SOCKS

I also use these socks when I'm flying. I fly long haul trips and these socks are a blessing to my legs.

Phil

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
X2:thumbup1gif:
Buying new cowboy style boots in the winter months is tough around here. I normally put them on and stand in the bath tub with about 6-8 inches of warm/hot water until they are good and wet and then go about my day. Two days later your boots are like a fine fitted glove.
When I was a late teen kid you could still go to West Point and buy stuff from the "Property Disposal Center". Used to buy "combat boots" (and "tanker strap boots") that were some used but had suffered some surface dings that wouldn't pass inspection. Buy them for $2.50 pr, soak 'em, wear 'em and I'd have boots that lasted a couple years. Got near brand new field jackets/liners/hoods there as well as hand tools and some neat old books the library had phased out. I near cried when they moved the PDC to Picatinny...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
For just socks, I like the "Sock Company". Particularly Wigwam socks. They have "zillions" to choose from! :) For cold weather I like a couple of their Merino wool socks. For casual wear, I like their "King Cotton" socks.

WIGWAM Socks

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm now in the Pacific North West. Oak Harbor, WA to be exact. My new boots are getting a tour of the country. :laugh:

I think I'm going to pick up a pair, or two of a lot of these suggestions and try them out. I'm going to overhaul my socks for all needs and get what works, not just what's on sale. I did pick up some Columbia "Wool Blend" socks along the way. They are a whole 15% wool. :gaah:

The boots are really comfortable, but...One thing I learned the hard way. As much as I fly, I never realized how much my feet/ankles swell during a 5 hour flight. It was a real chore getting them back on after the flight. I did win, though. :flag_of_truce:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts