Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know Rural King sold their own brand of tractors. I LOVE Rural King, it's 50 miles away and I have an enjoyable shopping experience everytime I go there and I buy everything I can there, fill up the truck bed with what I buy.
I just looked up the RK24 Tractor and got turned on.
It uses the same engine as the JD 1025R, more hyd pump GPM, more PTO HP, the L75 front loader is 75" height where the JD is 72" and the RK25 lifts MORE weight of 947 lbs to the 754 lbs of the JD,,, also the RK25 comes with a rear remote valve that's standard (costly option on the JD)
PLUS IT COSTS MUCH LESS THAN THE JD 1025R

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts

PLUS IT COSTS MUCH LESS THAN THE JD 1025R
There are lots of tractors that cost less, but will there be support for them in 5 or 10 years? Who does support and warranty work on a RK? The store? Did they hire mechanics to prep them?
I remember a brand called Montana, all the rage because they where cheaper...gone. Cabela's had their own brand for a while, gone.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There are lots of tractors that cost less, but will there be support for them in 5 or 10 years? Who does support and warranty work on a RK? The store? Did they hire mechanics to prep them?
I remember a brand called Montana, all the rage because they where cheaper...gone. Cabela's had their own brand for a while, gone.
This is the EXACT reason I DIDN'T buy a Cabelas tractor. I have a Cabelas store 20 minutes from me, they hired mechanics to do the extra work from the sale of the tractors. I think they we selling them for about 3 years, then they got out of it...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
When I first decided I wanted a compact tractor, my focus was on a JD 1025r. It was all Tractor Tim's fault after watching him on youtube. After I realized I was Really going to buy a tractor for sure, I pulled back and figured I'd better weigh my options before I jumped blindly in. I was going to give all the other brands consideration. After researching, JD was basically my only option that made sense. Why?
Kabota? Nice tractors from what I hear. One dealership within a 100 miles. A rinky dink dealership with no subcompacts on the lot to even look at. Didn't even get to look at or sit on one.
Ls: Over 100 miles away.
Kioti: Over 100 miles away.
Massey: 100 miles away.
New Holland: 100 miles.
Yanmar: There was an Ace Hardware store that was selling them about 30 miles from me. I went and looked at them. Nice tractors. No salesman ever came out to greet me. How Ace Hardware fitted in with this I don't know. That was a year and a half ago. Yanmar tractors are no longer being sold there. Boy would I have been p*ssed if I had bought one there. The nearest dealer now is, you guessed it, a 100 miles away.
John Deere: There are 4 dealers in a 50 miles radius in all directions from me, which is why I went with the 1025r.
The dealership and parts support system is just as important as the brand you pick.

·
Registered
21,140 Posts
When I first decided I wanted a compact tractor, my focus was on a JD 1025r. It was all Tractor Tim's fault after watching him on youtube. After I realized I was Really going to buy a tractor for sure, I pulled back and figured I'd better weigh my options before I jumped blindly in. I was going to give all the other brands consideration. After researching, JD was basically my only option that made sense. Why?
Kabota? Nice tractors from what I hear. One dealership within a 100 miles. A rinky dink dealership with no subcompacts on the lot to even look at. Didn't even get to look at or sit on one.
Ls: Over 100 miles away.
Kioti: Over 100 miles away.
Massey: 100 miles away.
New Holland: 100 miles.
Yanmar: There was an Ace Hardware store that was selling them about 30 miles from me. I went and looked at them. Nice tractors. No salesman ever came out to greet me. How Ace Hardware fitted in with this I don't know. That was a year and a half ago. Yanmar tractors are no longer being sold there. Boy would I have been p*ssed if I had bought one there. The nearest dealer now is, you guessed it, a 100 miles away.
John Deere: There are 4 dealers in a 50 miles radius in all directions from me, which is why I went with the 1025r.
The dealership and support system is just as important as the brand you pick.
I am in the same situation except for having any Deere dealers around here.

Kubota - 50 miles to my south.
Deere - 50 miles to my east.

And that is it. And 50 miles around here equates to 1.5 hours which makes a 3 hour round trip.

Glad I don’t need a new tractor....

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
This is the second time Rural King has attempted to sell tractors.

A neighbor bought one the first time.

It spent more time broke that it did working. With what he paid me to keep his grass cut while his tractor was down for repairs & towing costs to return it for repair, he spent more than the cost of the tractor.

I like shopping at Rural King for "stuff", but not tractors.

You can go broke saving a few dollars.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have JD, Kabota, NH and Massey dealers, all within 5 miles of each other. Did my research as far a dealer support goes and quickly ruled out Kabota. The Massey just felt like a cheap tractor, NH has a very dealer with a great reputation for support after the sale, but the smaller boomer series tractors are just plain ugly to me. I have yet to disappointed with my dealer and have developed a great relationship with them.

Service after the sale is far more important than the best number a salesman can put down on paper on day one.

Not to mention, the RK24 is actually more comparable to the 2025R, so let's first start off comparing apples to apples when it comes to the specs. When compared to the correct tractor the RK is not all it's cracked up to be.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts

I made the mistake of buying a Stihl chainsaw at RK. Don't get me wrong, I love RK, but their idea of the techs was the 16 years olds they hired to run the section. The kid broke the first one trying to start it. I told him I knew how to do it and didn't need him to show me, just get another. I should have walked away but I grabbed the saw and left.

No way I would let them touch a tractor. They took me to the "garage" area when trying to show me how to work the chainsaw and it certainly isn't set of for real work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The excitement has worn off me since I wrote that starter thread.
I am re-thinking my options cause all I want the tractor for is to move and plow snow and I figure for the same amount of money for a new tractor I can buy a used heavy duty pickup or a Jeep Wrangler with a plow, guy I know plows with his Jeep and it really impresses me the way it plows, it's smaller and it can fit into tighter places such as plowing sidewalks, a strong frame and a real front 4x4 axle makes it a perfect plow vehicle one with a manual transmission even better. I like the Jeep Wrangler so much if I can't find a decent used one I will buy a new one and get a Boss plow on it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Want to know more about the RK tractors, look up "outdoors with the Morgans" on youtube. He's got a few of them and attachments that he uses/reviews.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I like Rural King but I cant stay out of the firearm aisle. They just had a great sale on ammo..

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Want to know more about the RK tractors, look up "outdoors with the Morgans" on youtube. He's got a few of them and attachments that he uses/reviews.
I used to watch his channel (haven’t in awhile now) until I realized that they gave (loaned) him the tractors and implements in return for positive reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I used to watch his channel (haven’t in awhile now) until I realized that they gave (loaned) him the tractors and implements in return for positive reviews.

I watch it. But not for the tractors or equipment he tests.

Although the new splitter he uses looks pretty sharp.

#323 TRACTOR GIRL IS GETTING THE HANG of THIS! - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

I realized that right away, but even so he still has some negatives about the equipment on occasion.
It's really not a comparison though, as his only non RK tractor is an older Kubota.

What he does well is show how different attachments and tractors can be used. Doesn't matter if it's a green, red, orange, yellow, etc box blade, the use is the same, regardless of if he bought it or if it's loaned.

With that, I pick and choose, you can only watch so many vids of cutting/splitting wood. :laugh: and that seems to be the majority of his recent stuff.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I realized that right away, but even so he still has some negatives about the equipment on occasion.
It's really not a comparison though, as his only non RK tractor is an older Kubota.

What he does well is show how different attachments and tractors can be used. Doesn't matter if it's a green, red, orange, yellow, etc box blade, the use is the same, regardless of if he bought it or if it's loaned.

With that, I pick and choose, you can only watch so many vids of cutting/splitting wood. :laugh: and that seems to be the majority of his recent stuff.
This is why I started watching his channel in the first place, I believe I was searching box blade videos, I'm not saying it's a bad channel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok - out of curiosity, I priced a RK24 TLB combo - $18,199. A 1025R TLB out the door at a local dealer is advertised at a grand more.

Now, are there arguably better specs on the RK24 - yes. You might even argue the 2025R is a closer competitor - but I’d say the 2025R is better than the RK. Go up to the 2025 and your looking at 3k more.

If it was a case of pick between a RK or Deere - personally - I’d opt Deere any day of the week. That grand extra gives me dealer support that’s well beyond RK and higher resale. Fortunately, those aren’t my only 2 choices.

Take a look at the Massey Ferguson GC1720 and compare to RK24. Cash I was offered one new for $700 LESS than a RK24. Again, good dealer support - similar specs, and LESS money.

Deere cost more and part of that is the financing - those 0% offers on your tv every weekend don’t come cheap. But given the choice - if I wanted a RK, I would look for used - there’s bound to be one coming up for sale somewhere in the country and I guarantee resale compared to Deere/Kubota is not in the same league with no dealers interested in reselling them.

As to Youtubers getting free stuff for plugging product - same old. Paid/compensated endorsers are common amongst other products. As long as they disclose it up front - I have no problem, more power to them for getting free stuff for exploiting their fan base.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts