Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I'd like to do a little better protecting my new machine than perhaps I did with my old one. Do any of you have any advice or tips on protecting your machine again rust and corrosion? I've noticed my hydraulic connections and silver pipes starting to turn hazy and form little spots. Up here in the northeast, we used to spray the entire undercarriage of our vehicles with new motor oil in the fall and then run them up and down a dusty dirt road to form an oily film layer that would help protect against the salt and hard rain from causing rust. Might sound crazy, but it worked well. It kept a lot of old vehicles on the road for many years.

So any of you got some tips or tricks for protecting from the outside elements. Cause we can't keep our machines indoors all the time, right?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,013 Posts
Sweet! Thank you! Now, who might sell it locally? I just ordered some, but won't be here till the end of the month.
Lowe's carries it, as do most major auto parts stores.

·
Registered
27,551 Posts
Fluid Film is available at most auto parts stores as well as a lot of Deere dealers. Kind of hit or miss - just have to look around.

It really is amazing stuff so don’t be out off by the price. An aerosol can last a long time and stays where it is sprayed a long time even if out in the rain.

A neat brief history of it first developed for use with the US Navy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 45, can't believe I have never heard of this before. I ordered a few cans and will pick up 1 today to get me by for now at Lowes. Thank you!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
Easiest thing to do is coat everything that is susceptible with Fluid Film a couple times a year.
I use a lot of fluid film. Great for hydraulic cylinders that sit over winter or summer.

·
Registered
27,551 Posts
I use a lot of fluid film. Great for hydraulic cylinders that sit over winter or summer.
A good use I found over the years was for trailers that sit outside. Spraying the hitch components down not only prevented them from rusting but kept them easy to use being always lubricated.

Also the trailer jack.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,013 Posts
I use it on my snowblower to keep the snow from sticking. I've tried it on mower decks with limited success. Of course, it's great for preventing rust on most everything.

Reactions: RMackVT and Gizmo2

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.