Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning/prepping parts for my 317, I noticed the bezel/escutcheon/beauty ring...or whatever ya call that chrome ring that fits on the nut holding the light switch to the instrument panel !!..had some tarnish on it. Removing the tarnish, it was lacking plating in places and pitted. Deere doesn't sell this as an individual item and I couldn't find anything even close on-line. Clean/degrease, one coat clean metal primer, one coat Rust-Oleum Chrome paint, one coat gloss clear. It looks like a real chrome plated part! I was very impressed...but I don't think the primer will adhere to the existing chrome plating. I'm hoping the paint "enveloped" the ring, otherwise, I'll end up grinding plating off, and repainting. I'll give it a few days to harden and then try to scrape it of with my fingernail. But for a paint, its an excellent replacement for chrome plating.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken several pics, but no matter what the light source...sun/natural, fluorescent, incandescent...the ring looks white instead of silver/chrome. Sorry, but this is the best I can get...which is poor at best!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've taken several pics, but no matter what the light source...sun/natural, fluorescent, incandescent...the ring looks white instead of silver/chrome. Sorry, but this is the best I can get...which is poor at best!!
If I remember correctly. It looks white because it's not actually chrome. Think it has to do with the amount of light the part/coating absorbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts