Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JD 2032R with H130 loader and 46 BH
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever successfully gotten a rusted bolt out with an Easy out/screw extractor?

The rear rack off of my 4-wheeler has 5 of 6 bolt heads broken off. Four were already that way and I broke the 5th trying to get the rack off. I'd like to get at least a couple out and get new bolts installed, but before I waste $10 (yeah, I'm cheap!) buying an Easy out, I'd like to hear if anyone has ever had one work. I've heard people routinely trying to use them at my work, but I've only heard of it working once or twice, and that's on brand new hardware. These are badly rusted. I have them soaked with WD-40 while I figure out what to do.

Any other advice to give on rust bolt removal techniques?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I got a bolt out (not rusted) with a sheered head with an easy out kit. Due to the break, I needed to use my own drill bits 1/32, 3/64th first (after failing with the included bit) get it started. It was slow going and once it was out enough to get a pair of vice-grips on it, it was fully removed with them. It worked, but not close to how easy it looks on TV....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Left twist drill bits.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I doubt they'll work with rusted bolts. The last time I tried, he extractor bit broke, leaving an extremely hard core that I couldn't drill out. That made the problem much, much worse. I wonder about using thermal shock to break the rust bond? Is there room to drill out the bolts and tap a slightly larger size? I'm sure you'll get good, experienced-based advice here soon...

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully gotten a rusted bolt out with an Easy out/screw extractor?

The rear rack off of my 4-wheeler has 5 of 6 bolt heads broken off. Four were already that way and I broke the 5th trying to get the rack off. I'd like to get at least a couple out and get new bolts installed, but before I waste $10 (yeah, I'm cheap!) buying an Easy out, I'd like to hear if anyone has ever had one work. I've heard people routinely trying to use them at my work, but I've only heard of it working once or twice, and that's on brand new hardware. These are badly rusted. I have them soaked with WD-40 while I figure out what to do.

Any other advice to give on rust bolt removal techniques?
I used one about 2 weeks ago on a welding lead connector that am Allen head had set screw completely rounded out. The EZ out took a LOT of torque but finally brought the screw out with some heat assisting.

Make sure you have the right size drill to fit the EZ out. That might be a fractional bit. With something like a rack, putting heat on it might be dicey. You might try other solvents as well. WD-40 is good but others may work a bit better. If you can't apply heat, time and solvents will sometimes work. An old fashioned hand impact driver will also sometimes work as those drive the bolt down a bit as well as turning but you have to make sure you have enough steel to support the impact.

Treefarmer

Treefarmer

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have but in 20 years of running a shop I would say the success rate was pretty low. Often just a drill and retap is best especially on the smaller ones.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
i would first off recommend a penetrating oil soak ....wd40 has its uses this is not one of them....use it several times and wait to give it a chance to migrate thru the rust

yes i have gotten larger bolts out with ez-outs but a siezed up bolt can be tough obviously the bigger you can drill the hole almost to the threads the better it will work

i have had good luck with using a dremel and cutting a large screwdriver slot in the bolt

also had luck drilling them out .....and either retaping...or using a helicoil setup

heat will help if you can get heat to it ....heat metal around the bolt....and then i sometimes will use liquid computer keyboard spray cleaner to freeze the bolt to help break the rust bond

i have used a cold chisel and hammer to turn bigger broken bolts

as mentioned before welding on a nut works or anything you can get a wrench on

most of the time the smaller it is the harder it is to work with

good luck

Reactions: X758

·
Registered
324 Posts
Heat and soak with Kroil. Give it time. how big is the bolt?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have many times in situations where I couldn’t use heat. Start with a small bit and work your way up to as close as you can get to the bolt size. Then go with the ez-out. It helps to have a set of left hand drill bits but can be done with standard bits. Many times with left handed bits the broken bolt will spin out on the drill bit as you approach the bolt size. Getting the first hole centered is key. If the bolt has broken off below the surface, start with a bit that will just fit the bolt hole. Drill the broken bolt just enough to get a good centering point and then go small and work up. Don’t get impatient and don’t force it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
WD40 is not a good rust penetrant. Soak it in Kroil, Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster.
EZ outs aren’t usually too successful for me. Welding a nut on is almost 100% effective. Drilling and tapping is also reliable. Get good drill bits to drill out the broken bolt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to beat the metal part of the rack out of the plastic part. That's how rusted it was. However, that means applying heat shouldn't be an issue.

I'll pick up some better rust penetrant today. WD40 was all I had at the time.

I think the bolt is somewhere between #10 and 1/4". It's metric (of course), and uses a 13MM socket, so however big that is. I have new bolts for it, but after fighting with it last night, I wasn't very interested in those kind of details anymore. 😁

I don't personally have a welder, but do know someone with access to one.

I'll play around with it when I have time and see if I have any luck.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Same here, an easy out works if it’s broken off but if it’s rusted, I don’t try. A Helicoil like already mentioned is a good choice, it come with a drill bit and all as a nice little kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here, an easy out works if it’s broken off but if it’s rusted, I don’t try. A Helicoil like already mentioned is a good choice, it come with a drill bit and all as a nice little kit.
I forgot I have a Helicoil set in my garage (somewhere)! I think it may be 3/8", but it might still work. At least I have a Plan B if nothing else!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drill out a lot of bolts. Center punch it and work up to the largest size that won't clip the threads. Then the easy out should work. I have the short ones that are for broken fittings but they don't snap like the longer bolt extractors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts