Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up some used wood fencing material last year to keep in stock for woodworking project. Last Monday I decided to build a rustic wood bench from this material.

Other than framing stick houses; and also building my own bathroom cabinets in my previous home, I do not claim to be a wood-worked by any means. Other than the previously mentioned, I've also built a few bird houses and two Adirondack chairs years ago.

This is where I started. It's treated pine, 6" x 8' boards. Being my bench was going to be under 5', I was able to cut off the damaged ends.
IMG_2434.JPG

This is used, treated 2''x4'' fence stringers. I used my "fake" JD lawn cart to haul the material from behind the barn, to the shop. :good2:
IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

Below are the rear stiles. The upper and lower section of the stiles are ripped at a 7° angle. In hindsight, I should have done 15°. :dunno:
IMG_2437.JPG

Not to bore you with the rest of the build, this is how the bench came out. Kind of dingy looking. Well, I have something that will change the looks.
IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

Here it is after a good pressure washing.
IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

After 24 hours of drying, a light stain was applied.
IMG_2448.JPG

Then the cushions and pillows.
IMG_2451.JPG

Cushions in reverse mode.
IMG_2455.JPG

I hope the wife likes it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nicely done. I'm always amazed by what nice wood can be found under years of grime, and what can be done to recycle it into something really attractive.

But the bench is going to need WAY more throw pillows on it to please the average wife!:dunno:

Maybe compromise on some like these.

deerethrow1.jpg deerethrow3.jpg deerethrow2.jpg

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Nicely done. I'm always amazed by what nice wood can be found under years of grime, and what can be done to recycle it into something really attractive.

But the bench is going to need WAY more throw pillows on it to please the average wife!:dunno:
Yes. I completely agree.

When we took our old house down my wife said to save the old floor boards for the ceiling of our new house.

They looked like this.

They now look like this.

I love using old reclaimed lumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Very nice Michael!

I love having old stuff around like that for projects. But after 20 years now my supply has been consumed. Also used to keep an assortment of rough sawn lumber around but used that all up and the mill down the road isn't operating anymore.

J3 - awesome! I like the idea of part of the old house being worked into the new one. I think if I tore down an old house it would take me forever as I would want to keep everything.

I remember getting some old barn boards years ago. I would spend hours de-nailing the stuff on rainy days. It was therepudic in a way and the result was some nice boards to work with.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's amazing from a pile of scrap essentially ( sorry, I meant from "inventory"):bigthumb:

Could you shoot a pic from the back as well, curious as to how you tied it together!

Excellent job!
Excuse my rough drawings. :laugh:

The top(blue) is 1"x2" x 55-1/2". Not shown in drawing, but it extends 1/4" past the outer stiles.

Back.png
The center support is 2"x3". This view is of the 3" side of the support.

The right & left rear stiles in this view is of the 1-1/2" side.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the framing for the seat.

bottom.png

Below is a side view of the rear stiles.

rear stile.png

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts
That's real nice Michael :bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Not to bore you with the rest of the build, this is how the bench came out. Kind of dingy looking. Well, I have something that will change the looks.
View attachment 414530

:good2:
If the wife doesn't like it, I'll take it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,263 Posts
Aaaah, another place to plant yourself and have a few. Nicely done. :bigthumb:

Like the ceiling too J3Driver! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I picked up some used wood fencing material last year to keep in stock for woodworking project. Last Monday I decided to build a rustic wood bench from this material.

Other than framing stick houses; and also building my own bathroom cabinets in my previous home, I do not claim to be a wood-worked by any means. Other than the previously mentioned, I've also built a few bird houses and two Adirondack chairs years ago.

This is where I started. It's treated pine, 6" x 8' boards. Being my bench was going to be under 5', I was able to cut off the damaged ends.
View attachment 414458

This is used, treated 2''x4'' fence stringers. I used my "fake" JD lawn cart to haul the material from behind the barn, to the shop. :good2:
View attachment 414466

View attachment 414474

Below are the rear stiles. The upper and lower section of the stiles are ripped at a 7° angle. In hindsight, I should have done 15°. :dunno:
View attachment 414482

View attachment 414498

View attachment 414506

Here it is after a good pressure washing.
View attachment 414514

View attachment 414522

View attachment 414530

Then the cushions and pillows.
View attachment 414538

Cushions in reverse mode.
View attachment 414546

That is really very nice!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes. I completely agree.

When we took our old house down my wife said to save the old floor boards for the ceiling of our new house.

They looked like this.

They now look like this.

I love using old reclaimed lumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously nice work!

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
Really nice looking bench.. :bigthumb:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to report back.

My critique of this project:
Pros -
strong/sturdy
exterior, weather resistant screws and galvanized hardware used
should last a long time with outdoor use

Cons -
not enough angle on backrest
seat too flat
seat cousins not all that comfortable when sitting for long periods(too thin)
seating not wide enough
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrs. FW loved the bench. :good2: Although, I told her I was not happy with the angle of the back rest and the comfort of the seat and cushions. I told her I'd like to build another and she's okay with that.

On the next bench, I'll put more angle on the backrest and also raise the angle of the front of the seat. The seat cushions will be thicker, which means shortening the position of the seat. It will also be widened a bit.
Like I stated, this was my first bench project. The second one should/will be more to my liking.

BTW, granddaughter's babysitter will be buying this bench. :bigthumb:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just returned from delivering the bench. :thumbup1gif:I'll state on another in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all the comments. :good2: I'll add pics of the next build here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts