Green Tractor Talk banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,646 Posts
So I recently got the Tera pump with the auto-shutoff...if you let it fill till the shutoff the fuel is up at the metal collar, if I was filling it myself I'd probably not let it get that high. Wonder if the diesel is reacting to the metal when filled up to the rim versus if filled lower it's just down at the plastic?
Congratulations on your Terra pump purchase. I sure use the heck out of my 3 Terra pumps....(1 for diesel jugs, 1 for 2 stroke jug and 1 for the Unleaded regular jugs).

When your Terra Pump shuts off, wait a minute, then rock the tractor side to side by pushing on the ROPS and watch the tank BURP out the air. It will drop the fuel level down by about a quart or two of fuel and you can top it off again.......Or the moment you move the machine with the fuel cap on it burps itself and the fuel level drops.

I honestly think that some of the corrosion issue has to deal with the grade of Bio-diesel being used. Bio-diesel has as much as 10x the moisture in content (water) in the fuel as petro diesel. Corrosion and water on bare or lightly treated (or improperly treated) metal often go hand in hand........

Bio-diesel can be anywhere from 5% Bio fuel to 100% Bio fuel, depending upon the pump labeling. B20 is 20% Bio diesel. Some states allow up to 15% of the fuel to be blended without labeling it as Bio-diesel.

It's tricky to buy high quality diesel fuel without researching the fuel supplier source at your retailer. Imagine my surprise when I was buying diesel from the local BP station so I would be getting BP's Diesel product only to notice a small label on the front of the pump which said "Diesel fuel is not a BP supplied Product"...........or something like that........

When I see corrosion, I can't help but think somehow moisture is directly involved............

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Tera pump purchase was based on your many comments on the forum about it...I really didn't think I'd need it but bought the VP racing jugs. I let the tractor get down to the red line, 20% left and put in an entire 5 gallon jug. The manual says to top off the tank after each use to prevent condensation(as well as what has been suggested here on GTT) and after lifting the tank one time I decided I'm a wimp and ordered the pump! Couldn't see me doing that to top it off each time and not spilling fuel all over.

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
The Tera pump purchase was based on your many comments on the forum about it...I really didn't think I'd need it but bought the VP racing jugs. I let the tractor get down to the red line, 20% left and put in an entire 5 gallon jug. The manual says to top off the tank after each use to prevent condensation(as well as what has been suggested here on GTT) and after lifting the tank one time I decided I'm a wimp and ordered the pump! Couldn't see me doing that to top it off each time and not spilling fuel all over.
Condensation in the fuel tank is real but it's not as chronic as reports may have you believe. Yes, under certain conditions if the fuel is heated and then gets exposed to certain environmental conditions (temperature and humidity) condensation can form. Any condensation forming in the tank should eventually settle out and become moisture in the water separator. Have you ever seen anything in the water separator? In 10 years of ownership I have never seen any water in the separator.

Don't get me wrong, there is no harm in keeping your tank full but leaving it partially full is unlikely to cause instant rusting of that metal tank neck insert.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I am going to change the rusty fuel filler. Any pointers on removing the filler neck?
There are 4 tabs that help lock it in place, red arrow pointing at 1 of the 4 total. Not the best pictures, sorry, but you get the idea. After that, it just threads in place. I use a pair of channel locks to get a better grip, but its as easy as folding out the tabs and twisting it off. There is an o-ring under the sleeve, i put a little grease on the o-ring when I installed the new one. Probably not necessary, but it made me feel 0.1% better about the whole situation.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2014 1025R
197 Posts
I have the earlier model with the plastic filler, so I can't check myself. How important is the rusting part, anyway? Has anyone just considered cutting it off and leaving only the clean part? Does the O-ring seal on it?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have the earlier model with the plastic filler, so I can't check myself. How important is the rusting part, anyway? Has anyone just considered cutting it off and leaving only the clean part? Does the O-ring seal on it?
The section of the metal sleeve that rusts isn't important and could be cut off, but then you would left with an untreated metal edge exposed to the same conditions, so that will also rust also.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts