Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning up the 212 I just picked up, plenty of wo....wo....WORK ahead for my Grandsons and me. :kidw_truck_smiley:

Home Cheapo has Rustoleum John Deere green and yellow rattle can paints, on the shelf, inexpensive.
Anyone try these two paints?

Metal on the Deere looks fine. A little sanding needed, then paint. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Krylon turns blue with age. I think the rustolium is ok.

Deere paint is expensive, I think it’s made by valspar, but it goes on thick and nice, with great resistance to running. You will probably go through 50% more cans of rustolium, so the extra expense is less then it looks.

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
I have used Rustoleum, Valspar and Krylon in the past, nothing covers better than the JD paint. If the JD paint is in fact made by Valspar something is left out when they make the regular Valspar paint because the color match is not perfect and the paint will run like crazy if you are not careful. As mentioned the JD is pricey but worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I used rustoleum on my plow. I get it from Lowe’s but I know HD has same. I only had 1 can of the yellow and it's good enough for now. Will redo in the spring. Used a can of the green to touch up the back.
It was approx 40 degrees outside when I painted this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
In my experience, rustoleum not a perfect match. Its lighter than original JD green.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used the Rustoleum stuff from Menards and noticed one thing. The green works better for older machines and if you have a newer machine use the JD paint, it has a shinier finish than the Rustoleum. Otherwise the Rustoleum works great, specially if you are going to paint the entire thing. If you want to paint match a newer machine use the JD paint.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I don't care for Rustoleum at all. It goes on very thin, runs easily, and doesn't match well. Contrary to PJR832's opinion, I've found the Valspar to be identical to the JD paint and would agree Valspar manufacturers it for JD. I'm thinking PJR832 is getting it confused with Rustoleum.

In the past, I sourced the Valspar tractor spray paint from the "Do-it-Best" hardware store chain, but it appears they no longer carry it. Here is a link to another source:
https://www.hardwareandtools.com/valspar-5339-10-tractor-and-implement-john-deere-green-farm-spray-paint-edba-2295.html

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Depending on the use I use valspar or JD. The Valspar cans are mineral spirits based and dry slower. The Deere spray cans are similar to the bulk canned paints and uses more of an automotive thinner that dries much quicker. I have found that I can touch up things that I used a gun for with the JD spray cans and they blend perfect.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
2 colors of green

I used the Rustoleum stuff from Menards and noticed one thing. The green works better for older machines and if you have a newer machine use the JD paint, it has a shinier finish than the Rustoleum. Otherwise the Rustoleum works great, specially if you are going to paint the entire thing. If you want to paint match a newer machine use the JD paint.
Our local JD dealer stocks two different greens- apparently there was a color change at some point. They are close in color but you can see the difference.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
I don't care for Rustoleum at all. It goes on very thin, runs easily, and doesn't match well. Contrary to PJR832's opinion, I've found the Valspar to be identical to the JD paint and would agree Valspar manufacturers it for JD. I'm thinking PJR832 is getting it confused with Rustoleum.
No sir, no mistake about it.

This was and almost perfect match to Chinese Titan close enough from where they are match.
In reference to treefarmer, these are the two choices I have found at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
The John Deere Classic paint is what is used on the Johnny Poppers and the like. The Ag and Turf is what is used on today’s tractors. It’s a perfect match.

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
The John Deere Classic paint is what is used on the Johnny Poppers and the like. The Ag and Turf is what is used on today’s tractors. It’s a perfect match.
I agree, the Ag and Turf is the only true match, I actually bought the can of Classic by mistake but used it anyway because I was only buying it to give my suitcase weights a fresh coat.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
I’ll be buying the Classic by the gallon to paint my 60.

John Deere paint may seem like it’s more expensive, but it’s far superior IMHO. It just covers better, perfect match, less tendency to run, and lasts a good long time.

·
Registered
12,575 Posts
John Deere paint may seem like it’s more expensive, but it’s far superior IMHO. It just covers better, perfect match, less tendency to run, and lasts a good long time.
Agree with all of this 100% :good2:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Agree with all of this 100% :good2:
X2 I've been using the JD paint to touch up my backhoe and loader occasionally and it matches perfectly. It also goes on really nice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use the JD paint on the GT's and mowers bodies. Rustoleum (with catalyst when sprayed) on implements allows cheap touchups-with a brush, too.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Yep! I agree that the genuine JD paint cannot be matched by anyone. That is all I have ever or will ever use. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts