Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on a surge protector for our 5th wheel. It’s a 50 amp system. There are a lot of them out there from under $100 to over $300. We have had expensive problems at the campground we stay at for our county fair. Two years ago my inverter started on fire. Last year we lost the tv microwave and digital converter. I found one leg at 116 volts and one at 98 volts last year. The owner told me no one else has had a problem on this site. So I guess I need to protect myself.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,301 Posts
98 volts is too low. It should be upwards of 114 volts +.
Voltage of 105 or less will damage the A/C unit and a large fridge compressor.

There are many surge protectors out there. I've used the lease expensive surge protector with no problems. Take your pick.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought this one. I don't know if I got it at camping world or amazon but it I haven't had any issues yet. We were at a park once that the power went out several times and I didn't have anything damaged. Mine is only 30A but they probably make a 50a version. But anything will probably work better than nothing!

Southwire Portable Surge Guard Protector, 30-Amp

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run a Progressive Industries hardwired unit on our 50 amp camper. I like it, because it has a display that will tell me the volts on each leg, amps being used on each leg, and any errors or issues with the supply. It is pricey, but comes with a great warranty. I mounted mine behind my breaker box in the camper, and ran the display to my control panel. And the great thing about being hard wired it, I don’t have to think about it, and it can’t walk off!

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
This is the one I bought for my 5th wheel. What I like most about is that it is Bluetooth to your phone so you can see each line voltage and amps coming in. Also it a true protection in the fact that if it sees something not right it will shut off power to your Rv. I did a lot of research and this one comes with high reviews. Also it the it gets a surged and blow you can just replace the surge part and not have to replace the whole thing. has a ring to lock it to the power pole as some people has had their surge protectors stolen as they are not cheap. They also have one that you can permanently wire in.
Pic of the app on you phone. This is a pic of the 30amp the 50amp will have line #2 on it which will show both line voltage and amps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I run a Progressive Industries hardwired unit on our 50 amp camper. I like it, because it has a display that will tell me the volts on each leg, amps being used on each leg, and any errors or issues with the supply. It is pricey, but comes with a great warranty. I mounted mine behind my breaker box in the camper, and ran the display to my control panel. And the great thing about being hard wired it, I don’t have to think about it, and it can’t walk off!
I agree, the Progressive hardwired unit is absolutely the unit you want. You are wise to be looking into a power management system, now be just a wise and buy the very best that will do more that just protect your 5th wheel. It will totally manage the 5th wheel electrical system. Install it, forget it and let it do it's job. You WILL NOT be sorry!

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
I used one every time I connected to power with my Motor Coach. It was surprising how many times we would connect only to discover something in the service wasn't right. Make sure to secure the unit very well, or if possible, mount it in the compartment because as others have said, they will and do disappear.....I had an earlier version of the same one JD Mich is using. Well worth the money as it doesn't take long to incur a lot of damage from surges or other service issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second the Progressive Industries model, we use an EMS-PT30X on our class B and it is a lifesaver! It is used by probably 90% of the owners of our particular brand of class B, judging from the comments on the FB page. FWIW the company that manufactures the RV does NOT recommend a hardwired unit, as the unit can and will melt during a lightning strike while protecting your rig. Plenty of pictures on the FB page demonstrating what that looks like. I wouldn't want that to happen inside of my electrical center. I put a cheap bicycle cable lock on it and haven't had any problems with it walking off but of course that can happen when it is external.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Our EMS has detected out of range voltage and disconnected the 5th wheel from the power source more than once. Detection AND disconnect is very useful.

If you see a lot of out of range voltage, you might want to consider something like a Hughes Autoformer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts