Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was mowing my 1 acre spread and ran over a small branch on the lawn and my mower came to halt. Motor was still running and the blades were still spinning. Shut it down and could see the belt that should be around the gearbox pulley in the rear was between the plastic impeller blades and the top of the pulley.

Got it in my garbage and removed the mower deck and hoped to just be able to get the belt back on the rear pulley. Removed the tension assembly withe hope that that would give me enough slack to slip it back on which in fact is enough.

Only problem is that there is a pin maybe 1/4 to 5/16 inch in diameter in the way near the pulley with not enough room to squeeze the belt in. I imagine that pin is in place to help prevent the belt from slipping off....or prevent it from being slipped on.

So now it looks like a fairly large job to disassemble a lot more to get the belt back on.

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Are you talking about #11?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's it ...I think

That looks like that could be the culprit? Is it like it shows in the isometric exploded view that makes it look like its threaded and I can just remove it with a wrench?

Though with everything else in the way I might not be able to get to it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That looks like that could be the culprit? Is it like it shows in the isometric exploded view that makes it look like its threaded and I can just remove it with a wrench?

Though with everything else in the way I might not be able to get to it.

Yes, you will need to remove that pin to get the belt back on. It's designed to help keep the slack belt from falling off. However it is amazing how the belt can still jump off anyway. Then the retainer resists your attempts to jump it back on.

Look over the full length of the belt for damage. If you find even one bad spot replace it. Otherwise it will be coming back off. If a stick caused it to jump odds are it damaged the belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unbelievable

I went to the local John Deere dealer I bought my mower from and said I needed a drive belt because the one driving the rear gear box jumped the pulls and became badly frayed.

He looks up the part number on his computer and comes back with a belt that was way too short. I told him that that belt couldn't possibly go from the engine around the idler pulleys and then back to rear gearbox.

He then said everyone that he has ever helped only needed the belt for the mower deck. Told him I didn't say that and once again told him which belt I needed. He showed me the computer screen and said I must need the other drive belt. The other one wasn't right either. Didn't look like the drive train for the S240.

He went back to the warehouse area and came back with another belt and said this must be the one I need. I asked him to prove that to me. He once again showed me an incorrect exploded view diagram which I told him was wrong.

Then he suggested I order the one I need online. How can I if I don't know which is the correct one? Seems John Deere doesn't know one thing from another.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Take a look...

GX20006

0002012493____________A2.jpg

0002837966____________A1.jpg
GX20006

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I went to the local John Deere dealer I bought my mower from and said I needed a drive belt because the one driving the rear gear box jumped the pulls and became badly frayed.

He looks up the part number on his computer and comes back with a belt that was way too short. I told him that that belt couldn't possibly go from the engine around the idler pulleys and then back to rear gearbox.

He then said everyone that he has ever helped only needed the belt for the mower deck. Told him I didn't say that and once again told him which belt I needed. He showed me the computer screen and said I must need the other drive belt. The other one wasn't right either. Didn't look like the drive train for the S240.

He went back to the warehouse area and came back with another belt and said this must be the one I need. I asked him to prove that to me. He once again showed me an incorrect exploded view diagram which I told him was wrong.

Then he suggested I order the one I need online. How can I if I don't know which is the correct one? Seems John Deere doesn't know one thing from another.
I hate going to a place for help and I know more than the peep behind the counter. They have any other parts people that know what they are doing? If not try another dealer. Take your tractor's serial number with you. Write it down or take a good picture of it. I have needed it in the past to find the correct parts. Especially if the piece of equipment was built for a lot of years.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The number is at the bottom on the post. GX2000 something.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
JD certainly doesn't do anyone any favors when it comes to making it easy to find part numbers on these things. The actual drive belt (aka Traction Belt) is not listed under the Power Train section but is instead listed in the Steering and Brakes section. It's no wonder the parts guy has a hard time finding it.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
JD certainly doesn't do anyone any favors when it comes to making it easy to find part numbers on these things. The actual drive belt (aka Traction Belt) is not listed under the Power Train section but is instead listed in the Steering and Brakes section. It's no wonder the parts guy has a hard time finding it.
it's still the same p/n, though. GX20006

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
it's still the same p/n, though. GX20006

I totally know what you are saying. H-D parts books are the same way.

There you go. Call your dealer tomorrow and see if they have the belt in stock. Hopefully they do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Continuing drive belt installation assistance.

Since the original belt was badly frayed on the edges on the wide end of the belt I decided it really needs replacement and I wanted to make sure I got the correct belt I cut the original damaged belt and took it back to the dealer to make absolutely sure the belt was correct. I now have the correct belt.

I worked 3 11 hour days and 12 hours yesterday to get a project ready so I did not have a chance to install the new one until today. And now I see that the sheet metal tractor frame has tabs formed at right angles on both sides of the engine pulley that I imagine are there to prevent the belt from being able to slip off that also prevent the pulley from being able to be installed easily. I also saw another bracket that also prevent the belt from being installed since it needs to be routed on bother sides of the bracket.

It seems like I practically have to unbolt the engine from the frame and lift it up to install the belt. And then there are the other brackets that seem to hold the wiring harness and the deck height adjustment assembly.

Because of the complexity of replacing the belt I'm thinking that a service manual may be what I need in order to have orderly instructions for to disassemble and the install and reassemble. Are there service manuals with instructions like this? I'm hoping so since then it would seem to be like the service manuals for my Harley Davidson service manuals.

I would really rather not have to have the dealers service depart fix it because I can only imagine how much it would cost. Once again your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Blake

·
Super Moderator
5,539 Posts
Pretty sure this is the tech manual for your lawn tractor.
As for instructions for assembly/disassembly, you would certainly think the tech manual should have that info.
IMHO, when you make the decision to perform maintenance and repairs yourself on your equipment the tech manual is a must.

https://techpubs.deere.com/Products/ProductSearch.aspx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts