Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Folks, Has anyone had experience with the Sabre Samurai sickle bar cutter from Canada? The cutting bar is 38 in. long and hydraulically driven at 250 spm. at 3.5 gpm and 500 psi. It has a versilte mount meant to be clamped to a bucket of a loader and can be positioned to cut horizontally, verically or anywhere in between. It looks like just the thing to cut roadsides, ditches, fence lines, etc. There are no guards so you don't want kids or pets anywhere around when operating. I've had a Troybilt walk behind sickle bar mower in the past that worked well but they are no longer made. I'd like to speak to someone who has owned one before ordering it.

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
Any chance you have a link?

One issue I see is the 500 PSI spec, most of our CUT's are 2000+

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I think this is where you will find this device Cutthat.com | Sabre Samurai

Looks like this is the minimum flow and pressure required: This unit only requires 3.3 GPM at 200-psi max to operate properly.

This is where you can hook it up: To an auxiliary hydraulic port on your tractor, loader or skid steer. If no auxiliary hydraulic port is available, then you can tap into the hydraulic pitch port on the bucket.

It looks like to me it will work on the CUTS and even on skid steers by all the pictures they show so I don't think that our flow or our pressure will be a problem. You can find all their FAQ's located here Sabre Samurai | Questions and Answers.

You can download the manual and a brochure on the web site. The price is around $1300 from what I can see. They have been making this thing since the early 80's.

I am really intrigued with this thing. I want to do a little more investigation.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Kennyd

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good reply, robpm. Your link should get people there. They have some videos of the thing working that are worth viewing. I'm intrigued as well but I'd appreciate a few remarks from someone who has owned one. This is a short sickle bar and is not meant to cut hay or replace a bigger 3 pt. hitch mower. But it could be just what's needed to keep treelines and the edges of fields cut back. And an advantage is that unlike a walk behind sickle bar mower, there is no engine to maintain.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am looking for something to keep trail edges trimmed back. I was wondering about the Sabre Samurai also. I am not sure about what to use and looking for recommendations.

The way I read the specs, it didn't sound like the minimum PSI to operate, but more like what they actually recommend running the unit at. Most tractors run much higher. Wouldn't an in line pressure reducer work?

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
I don't know of a "inline pressure reducer". There are inline restrictors, but they just lower the flow rate (GPM) and not the pressure, in fact the pressure is increased before the restrictor.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
How many GPM does the Sabre require to operate?

This unit only requires 3.3 GPM at 200-psi max to operate properly.

I think the power steering is about as low of a pressure as you'll get on a CUT and that is still at least triple the max psi.

A restricter wouldn't really work for long as the heat generated by the restrictions in the hydraulic fluid will shorten the life of the tractors hydraulics.

·
Administrator
20,974 Posts
Maybe it's a misprint. That seems way too low...:unknown:

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
Maybe it's a misprint. That seems way to low...:unknown:

Yes, it's does sound very low- good thought! A quick phone call could confirm this....

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't know of a "inline pressure reducer". There are inline restrictors, but they just lower the flow rate (GPM) and not the pressure, in fact the pressure is increased before the restrictor.
I know we use in line water pressure reducers for irrigation. I assumed there must be something available for hydraulic systems. Now I need to find out. I have hydraulic people at work. I will ask them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Samurai Sickle Bar Cutter

There is a big misunderstanding about the Samurai sickle bar mower. The pressure requirements are a minimum, not a maximum. I purchased a Samurai with my 2720 tractor. I've only had a chance to use it a little due to other distractions. The Samurai should be run so that you can see the cutter blade moving back and forth by eye which means running the tractor at about 1500 rpm. If I run the tractor at normal PTO speed, the blade is a blurr which will cause excessive wear to the cutter bar. I'll provide a full review once I have a chance to use it more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anone else use the product. I looked at the website but did not see any videos or pictures. I did notice it was current with a 2015 copy write date. I have not tried Google yet but figured I would go ahead and ask for any reviews.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hopefully reviving an old thread..
I saw on FB where someone posted a link to these mowers:

SABRE SAMURAI CUTTER | Cutthat.com - Your Cutting Edge Technology Expert

Any updates? very little you tube videos of these in action, but at 70 # weight, not sure they'd hold up well long term.
I'm not a fan of how they are mounted to the bucket. It seems like a fab shop could modify these to work on most pallet fork type bases.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
70# would be great

My Ditch bank mower is # 750........after spending a couple days with it I've about decided its too heavy for my tractor. Not tippy..just puts a lot of stress on one side of the tractor. Makes your neck and back hurt as your looking back 90% of the time.....I think its going down the road.

Something mounted up front and light would be much more user friendly...even if you had to make multiple passes. Ditch bank won't reach up past 6-7'.....A loader mounted unit would reach much higher for the tall leaning over the road Blackberry vines. Another bonus ...it wouldn't through near as much crap at you like the Flail or rotary units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts