Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board and looking for advice.
Couldn't find anything when I searched so I'll throw this out.
I have a 1842HV Sabre. When I bought it, it was the last years model and the dealer said it was the top of the line of the cheaper Sabre series. He said the difference between a real Deer and this was the Engine was a Briggs, not a Kohler, and that the hood was made of plexiglass, not Lexan. That was about it. Same transmission, same deck, and I think same frame. That being said, I have used it for 15 years and put belts and batteries in it. That's it. Needless to say I have been very pleased.
That's the history, now here's the issue. Mowing to day the tranny started making noise about ten feet before it just stopped. Does not sound good [grumble and grinding] Had my son jump on it and verified the belt was turning the tranny pulley and pushed it into the shop. Anyone ever rebuild one? cost? Is it very hard? just go buy a new one from Deer? or second source it?
Any advice would be appreciated. I have never done a hydrostatic, but have done a few C-4, C-6, Turbo350 and 400s back in the day. Also did my share of hydraulic pumps during my ten years stint as a Diesel heavy equipment mechanic.
With out verifying numbers, it looks like it is a "Tuff Torq K62

·
Super Moderator
7,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I had that problem. Inexpensive/relatively easy fix.

I had a Sabre 1642HV until just a few weeks ago when traded it on a 1025R.

I experienced the transmission issue you described, and I think many others have as well. I believe you will find that the spline at the top of the hydro gearbox is worn out.
I found help from this post.

I purchased only the transmission drive pulley (part #M127358). The transmission/shaft side of this spline was worn as well, but it was still good enough to work once the new pulley was installed.

I can't remember where I bought the pulley, but if you Google the part # above, you will see several places where you can purchase it for less than $20.

This video showed step by step how to replace it.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Most of the time its the pulley on top of trhe trans that strips out. Input shaft is more than likely OK. All parts are still available from your deere dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, you guys are good. Dealer has the pulley in stock for $39. Pick it up after work and I'm back in business. Thanks for the help, these forums are great!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. Drove around a bit and then put it back in the shop to put the deck back on. Thought I would take the opportunity to sharpen the blades and grease all the zerts. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts