Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally decided to sell our '59 JD 530 and #10 mid mount sickle bar mowers. Really wanted to pass it down to my kids, but they all moved away, and just never showed enough interest.

The tractor lived all 62 yrs of its life on my road. I am the 3rd owner, we are all neighbors.
It was a nice project and tractor for me and my father, as all of dad's equipment was bought to use on a 530 some day, he always wanted one, this one! Original owner backed it over a wagon tongue, called dealer, told him to take it back, neighbor and dad both raced to the dealer, neighbor got there first. He had it for around 38 yrs until I convinced him to sell it to me. Last owner wasn't too good about fixing thing that wore out/broke on it. Fixed almost everything, always used JD parts.

Sadly, just had a couple more things to fix, and dad passed. Promised him before he passed that I would finish it, and I did. Had been puttering around with it the last 5 yrs, never got the #10 mower remounted to it, but loved leaving it on the lawn just sitting there in her work clothes, or taking it for a ride around whats left of the farm. My brother would borrow it to put in the sunflower patch for customer to take pics of and the kids to play on. loved to see how happy it made the kids when they would ask if the could climb up on it and I would say yes. their face would just light up. That put the same big smile on my face too.

One of my brothers friends called me for advice about a '37 A he was looking to buy, and wanted me to look at the pics he had. I said come on over I'm out working on my 530, and 2032R. He came with his dad, who had owned an A years ago back in the day. Wow it wasn't good. Tractor looked good, but it was blowing large amounts of oil out the compression petcocks. Told him to stay away as he is a novice, just looking to get a small project for him and his dad to work on a little and put in shows and parades. Then he asked about...... Mine. Said I would think about it as I wasn't really using it enough, but was debating leaving it as it was or getting it all painted up, and doing the same thing, now that I'm older.

He asked me my price, I told him, He asked if he could think about it, I said yes, but don't think too long I'll change my mind, I know I will. Called the next day and said he would take it, if I would help him and his dad when they needed help. SO, I finally let her go, knowing that yet another father and son would enjoy it too, it was going to get all painted up, it was close, and could get to see her every now and then. Can't say I wish I didn't sell it, my wife still cant believe I sold it, but at least it went to a F/S combo who will use her more than me.

Here are the pics of her last day on the road, and my dad's homestead.

Allen.

Registered
With a rear exhaust yet! I know I asked you this before, but I don't remember the answer; did that tractor come from Milt Yale? With a paint job, it would look brand new again. It had to be a tough decision to sell it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a rear exhaust yet! I know I asked you this before, but I don't remember the answer; did that tractor come from Milt Yale? With a paint job, it would look brand new again. It had to be a tough decision to sell it.
Yeah you did Don, and yes it came from Yale's. You hardly ever see them with the orchard muffler. They are going to paint it all up. If things were rewound I wouldn't have sold her, I don't think.

That's a big reason for this long post. Here she will live forever, and still be mine and my dads. When they get her finished I'll ask Brian and his dad to add to this post to follow up.

Allen.

Registered
i have always loved them square fenders and dual headlights-i just thought the flat top fenders made em look mean.lol

Premium Member
Hey Allen- While it's tough to say goodbye to something that has sentimental value, those that bought it aren't far and are planning on giving it fresh paint and working it. As you said, it's going to a F/S who likely will cherish it just as much as their time spent together working on it, together. That 530 is going to have a lot of stories to tell if it ever gets to retire!

Registered
That's a very nice original 530. I'm curious how the JD hyd cylinder with new generation male tip was included with 530 that utilized ISO male hyd tip.
Jim, one in a thousand (maybe) would have noticed that. You've got great eyes.(y)

Reactions: jasper04

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Allen- While it's tough to say goodbye to something that has sentimental value, those that bought it aren't far and are planning on giving it fresh paint and working it. As you said, it's going to a F/S who likely will cherish it just as much as their time spent together working on it, together. That 530 is going to have a lot of stories to tell if it ever gets to retire!
Your right Matt. Thanks for the kind words.

Allen.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a very nice original 530. I'm curious how the JD hyd cylinder with new generation male tip was included with 530 that utilized ISO male hyd tip.
[
JD was so far ahead for their time. The breakaway coupler work perfect.

Allen.

Premium Member
I understand your feelings has i have my grandfathers 67 1020RU that my grandmother gave me when we moved. I used it to pull a finish mower and used the front loader only a couple of times. be glad you found a good home for it

Reactions: jasper04

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allen,
Great story. I only hope to meet an owner like you one day, generous and caring who will entrust me to handle his equipment with care and pride and eventually pass it onto the next generation.

Wes
Thanks Wes for you kind words. Yes I am happy that Brian and his dad have it. I do miss her dearly. I was just over to see her. Had to help Brian get it charging again. just had to polarize the regulator. Looks pretty good after he painted it up. Had to talk him out of putting a vertical exhaust on it. told him to put some black exahaust paint on the exhaust then decide.

Allen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.