Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking with a guy today about how you can use the markings on a chainsaw to fell a tree in the direction you want. He didn't know so I figure others may not either, so...

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
Good vid., but I wouldn't have cut the sides that deep, would have relied more on the "back cut".

One great thing he used wedges, lots of folks don't, wooden wedges are your friend for bringing it down, keeping
the cut open and aiming it.
They are good on a big tree for keeping the cut open while sectioning a thick trunk while on the ground too. :good2:

A pinched bar and chain make for unneeded misery. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hmmmm. Never tried this way. I usually just call a friend to come do it for me :bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good vid., but I wouldn't have cut the sides that deep, would have relied more on the "back cut".

One great thing he used wedges, lots of folks don't, wooden wedges are your friend for bringing it down, keeping
the cut open and aiming it.
They are good on a big tree for keeping the cut open while sectioning a thick trunk while on the ground too. :good2:

A pinched bar and chain make for unneeded misery. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Learned something about my husky saw....didn't know about using the handle for aiming. Plus I liked the way he said Husquevarna - I am going to say it like that from now on!!! :good2:

In the first video what was the ?tape measure? hooked on his hip for - to measure where to make the cutoff's?? I missed it if he explained it. I usually just use the bar length to know how long to make the rounds. :dunno:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Learned something about my husky saw....didn't know about using the handle for aiming. Plus I liked the way he said Husquevarna - I am going to say it like that from now on!!! :good2:

In the first video what was the ?tape measure? hooked on his hip for - to measure where to make the cutoff's?? I missed it if he explained it. I usually just use the bar length to know how long to make the rounds. :dunno:
Not sure, maybe to measure how far out the tree will drop.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Not sure, maybe to measure how far out the tree will drop.
Right at the end he had it trailing behind him as he was limbing, like he hooked it to the base and it stretched out as he walked away limbing. It seemed he looked at it and made a mark on the trunk.

Maybe cutting to whatever lengths for dragging it back for making boards? :dunno:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right at the end he had it trailing behind him as he was limbing, like he hooked it to the base and it stretched out as he walked away limbing. It seemed he looked at it and made a mark on the trunk.

Maybe cutting to whatever lengths for dragging it back for making boards? :dunno:
Sounds better than what I said. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
It is used to measure the length of the cuts when bucking the logs.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Hooskvarna

Yeah, I'll have to pick up the Hooskvarna from now on.

Disappointing- Swedish videos and just a couple of ugly guys. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to pick up the Hooskvarna from now on.

Disappointing- Swedish videos and just a couple of ugly guys. . .

Treefarmer
:lolol:

And for the pronunciation, I'm going with Whooskha-varr--nna....while channeling the swedish chef from the muppets. :good2:

I forgot to mention that apparently his brother has a job "sharpening" chains in a certain shop in NY. :nunu:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
:lolol:

And for the pronunciation, I'm going with Whooskha-varr--nna....while channeling the swedish chef from the muppets. :good2:

I forgot to mention that apparently his brother has a job "sharpening" chains in a certain shop in NY. :nunu:
Bet he gets them little rollers spinning like hell from the 2 chains I saw, the file and his hand must be a blur. :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts