Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased a large item, site unseen and use a trucking company to ship it? I am looking for a JD 46 Backhoe and found a couple on Craigslist. I just don't know how to make a secure purchase and have it show up at my house. If I can't make a secure purchase, I will talk to Mutton Power Equip. and buy new from them. The backhoes I found are just too far away to take a look at and haul home, probably at least 750 - 1000 miles away. Please, if anyone has made a purchase site unseen and had it delivered without any problems, let me know how to do it. I live in the Memphis area and would like to find one close enough, within a days drive, but it seems right now the backhoes at least 2 days drive away. The backhoe is going on my 2520 and am needing to buy one very soon.

Thanks Brothers.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I have actually done it... and I'm still around to tell the tale!! :laugh:

Mine was a fairly unique situation though and probably not quite what you're thinking about. In my case, I was looking for a high quality, PTO powered wood chipper - something like a Woods, Bearcat, Wallenstein, etc. I was using SearchTempest to scour CraigsList and got a few hits. The chipper I ended up buying was from an implement dealer in Wisconsin. He just happened to advertise it on Craigslist. I was able to confirm the phone number, his business location, etc. I ended up sending them a cashier's check for $2400 and I paid the trucking company directly and picked it up from their terminal about 30 minutes north of me. All in all, very smooth, although I will admit to being on edge for a couple of days after I sent the check until I got the shipping confirmation email. Of course, the seller had the risk as well that I might send a bogus cashiers check, etc.

I'd be very skittish to do anything similar with a private party. Waaay too much risk. All I can say is - "Trust your gut!"

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That could be a pretty challenging thing to do. I just did something similar by buing my 2520 from TX (I'm in MN). Fortunately I have parents down there near the dealer and they went to put hands on it and check things out, so it isn't apples-to-apples with your case. But I do have some suggestions that may help you:

Have the seller take a ton of pictures. Ask for specific pics and info about any known wear or problem areas on the equipment. If possible, have them take a short video of the attachment actually operating. If the item has a maintenance schedule see if the seller has details on performed services. Lastly, consider using an escrow service for the payment. I don't know a ton about how they work, but I know TractorHouse (which I used to find my 2520) promotes the use. See PaySafe Escrow. There is a FAQ there that might help.

Be very clear during the purchase transaction about what you're expecting to be provided at delivery. If the item has accessories or components needed for hookup make sure to confirm whether or not the seller will be providing them.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
where at in the country is this item at? is it in Pa.? if it isn't at the other end of the state i would be willing to go llok at it in person for u.

but if u really want a smooth transaction, i believe i would go thru a jd dealer. why not ur own dealer close by, just in case something is wrong with the one u get.

if something would happen to be wrong with it, god forbid, ur closer dealer should take care of u.

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Has anyone purchased a large item, site unseen and use a trucking company to ship it? I am looking for a JD 46 Backhoe and found a couple on Craigslist. I just don't know how to make a secure purchase and have it show up at my house. If I can't make a secure purchase, I will talk to Mutton Power Equip. and buy new from them. The backhoes I found are just too far away to take a look at and haul home, probably at least 750 - 1000 miles away. Please, if anyone has made a purchase site unseen and had it delivered without any problems, let me know how to do it. I live in the Memphis area and would like to find one close enough, within a days drive, but it seems right now the backhoes at least 2 days drive away. The backhoe is going on my 2520 and am needing to buy one very soon.

Thanks Brothers.
I actually sold a 46BH via Craigslist and shipped it to Texas. This was a few years ago. The gentleman found my Craigslist ad, called and we discussed it. I sent him a few photos and he wired the funds over to me. He also arranged to have it picked up via uShip. I disconnected the subframe and banded the BH, frame and attaching parts to a HD pallet. UShip showed up a couple of weeks later. I loaded him up and off he went.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That could be a pretty challenging thing to do. I just did something similar by buing my 2520 from TX (I'm in MN). Fortunately I have parents down there near the dealer and they went to put hands on it and check things out, so it isn't apples-to-apples with your case. But I do have some suggestions that may help you:

Have the seller take a ton of pictures. Ask for specific pics and info about any known wear or problem areas on the equipment. If possible, have them take a short video of the attachment actually operating. If the item has a maintenance schedule see if the seller has details on performed services. Lastly, consider using an escrow service for the payment. I don't know a ton about how they work, but I know TractorHouse (which I used to find my 2520) promotes the use. See PaySafe Escrow. There is a FAQ there that might help.

Be very clear during the purchase transaction about what you're expecting to be provided at delivery. If the item has accessories or components needed for hookup make sure to confirm whether or not the seller will be providing them.

Good luck!
Rob
You could also poll and see who, here at greentractortalk, lives near the prospective equipment. It is possible- I know that I'd do it for someone- that a member here would go see it in person, and give you a report on it, see that it ships properly, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As touched upon, will a deere dealer facilitate this for you? Maybe his local dealer will check it over for a fee and ship it from that location for a fee?

I also just created this map to see if other members are willing to share their general location to help each other in similar situations as the one you currently depict. Let me know your thoughts, sorry to hijack this particular post but I am hoping it will become helpful. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2431832

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You could also poll and see who, here at greentractortalk, lives near the prospective equipment. It is possible- I know that I'd do it for someone- that a member here would go see it in person, and give you a report on it, see that it ships properly, etc.
This is another reason why I have respect for and enjoy GTT. The network of excellent folks on here amazes me. I too would be willing to look at a piece of equipment for someone to help insure everything was legit if there was concerns for the equipment itself and/or the seller.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very Big Thank You!

Thanks to all who are willing to help and go look at it. The location is at the very Northern part of Wisconsin. I am pretty sure that is the right location, as I am at work and don't have the info in front of me. I did check with my local JD dealer and they quoted me $8800 for the 46 backhoe and the Power Beyond. At that price, I decided to look elsewhere. I called Mutton Power Equipment and their price is $6499 for the backhoe, as I forgot to price the power beyond. But luckily, GTT has a thread that shows a material list and instructions on how to install one myself.

I am starting to lean towards buying a new one from Mutton Power Equipment, as my buddies at work are telling me not to make a site unseen purchase.
Yea, I could save $1500 - $2000, but I could also be out $5000 and not even see the backhoe.

But again guys, Thanks for willing to help a fellow Deere Man.

·
Registered
371 Posts
As touched upon, will a deere dealer facilitate this for you? Maybe his local dealer will check it over for a fee and ship it from that location for a fee?

I also just created this map to see if other members are willing to share their general location to help each other in similar situations as the one you currently depict. Let me know your thoughts, sorry to hijack this particular post but I am hoping it will become helpful. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2431832
Cool! I just registered. Anyone need something checked out in central VA, let me know.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Did something similar with selling my 2005 Dodge SRT10 2 door truck to a guy from Miami. The buyer found my truck for sale on the Viper Truck Club forum. After exchanging phone numbers on line we did all other communication via text message. As was stated I sent him some pictures. Then a video that I took of the new engine that I installed when it was first started. He asked for some additional pictures including the interior. I took what he wanted and sent them. I also exchanged the list of modifications and specifications for the truck.
After we made the deal he sent me a credit union/bank check overnight via Fed Ex. Got the idea from work. This is how the store gets paid when you finance a new bike. For some reason FedEx would not ship a check to the dealership even though they bring them there all the time. So I had him ship it to my girlfriends house. He wanted to pick up the truck right away but unfortunately I had to pay off a note. Of course my bank was not the same one the loan was through. A teller at my lenders Bank said the quickest way would be to bring in cash to pay off the note. After depositing the check in my account I had to wait three days for it to clear. Then took the cash to the other bank to pay off the note. I received the title within two weeks. Once I had my title in hand I mailed it to his address. He had his FL plate transferred to the truck and registered/insured in his name. After that he and his wife flew into the Philly airport. I drove the truck with my PA plate and insurance too meet him just as his flight got in. Pulled into the arrival gate about 10 minutes after they came out the door. After exchanging pleasantries he looked the truck over. While they loaded the luggage I swapped the license plate. We wished him good luck and south they went.

He did take a big risk buying it this way. However another fellow SRT10 owner / VTC forum member vouched for me. He also works the service counter at a semi local Dodge dealer. His resident Viper tech has serviced my truck on multiple occasions. He was always on the forum buying, selling, trading parts and helping people. He has bought and sold multiple trucks over the years himself.

Seen quite a few peeps that have looked at trucks for for other peeps that live far away. Just make sure that they know what they are looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Last year I bought my 47" Snowblower from a dealer in Nebraska. He even negotiated a shipment to a local JD dealer to lower the shipping costs. One thing that helped me be more comfortable (and shocked me) is that he was OK with a credit card. This gave me some leverage and even bonus miles!

I bought my tractor out of state on craigslist. I was able to drive to, inspect, and haul home my purchase. Honestly, I was not super comfortable showing up to a strange place with a pile of cash. So many bad things happen these days.

I agree with the others, I am not sure I would be comfortable doing a long distance private party transaction. I would be especially uncomfortable sending money in advance without using an escrow service.

Lee

·
Registered
980 Posts
There was a 46 for sale locally on CL recently @ $4000, I don't know what your price point is but thought it a good price. The best way I can think of is have the seller do the transaction through ebay and then you would be covered by ebay ins. This would up the price a little but both parties would be covered.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was a 46 for sale locally on CL recently @ $4000, I don't know what your price point is but thought it a good price. The best way I can think of is have the seller do the transaction through ebay and then you would be covered by ebay ins. This would up the price a little but both parties would be covered.
Would you happen to know where it was located? I did a "All of Craigslist" search and found on for $5000 and another for $5500. I can buy a new on for $6500 + $300 shipping. At these prices of used ones, I will purchase new, just for the ease of mind that I will be making a safe purchase.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out in that this is something I would never do. The most I've ever done sight-unseen is send a holding deposit to the dealer we bought my wife's VW from. I guess if I was buying something from a verifiable source such as a dealer, then I would consider it. When I am buying/selling on CL to private individuals, all transactions are cash-in-hand. I have had a few people try to burn me over the years without success. Private individuals on Craigslist are just a little too shady for me to trust 100%.

However, I have bought and sold dog sledding equipment on another forum and used pay-pal and UPS for the transaction. These people were pretty easy to verify through Google searches; kennel names, race standings, talking to other mushers, etc.

I don't think I helped answer your question... Just my $.02 on the subject.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After much thought and some kind of rude, Craigslist seller emails, I have just ordered a new 46 backhoe from Mutton Power. Thanks everyone for your help. My gut feeling, everyone's input and the bad communication with Craigslist sellers, helped steer me in the right direction of, "Sometimes it's cheaper to buy New".

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
After much thought and some kind of rude, Craigslist seller emails, I have just ordered a new 46 backhoe from Mutton Power. Thanks everyone for your help. My gut feeling, everyone's input and the bad communication with Craigslist sellers, helped steer me in the right direction of, "Sometimes it's cheaper to buy New".
And a lot less of a hassle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't forget the subframe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts