Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most engines are governed. But I am curious as to if there is a definite safe work load for a tractor/engine. I know alot of people that put the throttle all the way up and others that don't. I've always gone all the way up because that seems to be where the power is. And I've always thought that if it was programmed/governed to not exceed a certain safe RPM it wouldn't. Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I know most engines are governed. But I am curious as to if there is a definite safe work load for a tractor/engine. I know alot of people that put the throttle all the way up and others that don't. I've always gone all the way up because that seems to be where the power is. And I've always thought that if it was programmed/governed to not exceed a certain safe RPM it wouldn't. Is that correct?

You are correct. A tractor is designed to work at max throttle. Anything less runs the risk of lugging the engine, depending on what you are doing with it. I always mow at max throttle using the hand throttle, even though I never turn off eThrottle. The cut is better also at max throttle. On loader work, I usually run 1500-2000 RPM. Max work = max throttle. Light work = light throttle. But keep in mind that the Tier IV engines need to keep the RPM's up in order to keep from having regens too often. In the old days, we were taught to just let a diesel idle. No longer. Shut it off, rather than let it idle.

Dave

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I'm running a '97 5200 with a field cultivator on it. I've just been watching the temperature gauge. Normally it never warms up even with a new thermostat but she gets into the operating range now.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Ok. I'm running a '97 5200 with a field cultivator on it. I've just been watching the temperature gauge. Normally it never warms up even with a new thermostat but she gets into the operating range now.
I would guess your max torque to be about mid range, max hp might be full throttle but not your torque. I always figured that's why pto rpms are near wide open because you need the extra hp, but for most field ground engaging work wide open may just be a waste of fuel. Our White 2-85 is around 6 gallons per hour with pto operation, if we can cut that back to 4-4.5 per hour when doing field work at the end of the season that makes a pretty big difference. Use what you need on field work and save wide open for pto operation.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. I was noticing that if I backed it off a bit it was still pulling the same. I'll play with it more tonight. I'm pretty happy with how it's doing, I can run at 3" on the first pass at about 4.5 mph. In a field that the 8300 with MFWD I used to use would struggle in sometimes.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Right. I was noticing that if I backed it off a bit it was still pulling the same. I'll play with it more tonight. I'm pretty happy with how it's doing, I can run at 3" on the first pass at about 4.5 mph. In a field that the 8300 with MFWD I used to use would struggle in sometimes.
Yes sir, and it all depends what you are working with, our offset discs really make the tractors work where the finish discs are a walk in the park for them. You know what you are doing, use as much throttle as you feel necessary, tractors that use 5-6 gallons per hour can be costly with the price of fuel these days.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I throttled it down to 2000 and it works just as well and uses less fuel. Now I just have to swap my fan belt. It started chattering the other day while I was rototilling...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts