Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a firefighter and we use JD Gators for both patient rescues and for brush fires in the woods. I'm looking to see if anyone knows if there's a training program my guys and I could attend as a sort of "clearance process" for the safe operation of these vehicles...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
look for the vhs tapes or dvd's that used to come with the yamaha rhino's.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Pretty much every State has an ATV Safety Course. PA's can be found here: https://www.offroad-ed.com/pennsylvania/

I believe most manufacturer's have their own (or an industry trade group sponsored one) as well.

And I should add, PA appears to be a bit confused. From their own WWW site FAQ:

Do you need Pennsylvania ATV education?

You need education if you are under 16 years old and will be riding in Pennsylvania.

You must be at least 16 years old to take this online course.
So, I guess you are only required to take the course if you are under age 16 but if you ARE under age 16, you can't take it.... :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I'm a firefighter and we use JD Gators for both patient rescues and for brush fires in the woods. I'm looking to see if anyone knows if there's a training program my guys and I could attend as a sort of "clearance process" for the safe operation of these vehicles...

Thanks!
Here's a PDF from USDA - Forrest Service, and while not a whiz bang video, it appears to have everything you need to get started.

Here's a few online resources that may help also:
Recreational Off Highway Vehicle Association
Deere UTV training

Stay safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jim said it right.. pretty much every state has some form of ATV/UTV safety course program. It is required for anyone under 18 to complete one of these in Iowa before being allowed to operate a ATV/UTV. I see the sense in it to some degree, but have issues that it should be mandatory, especially for youngsters who grow up on farms and ranches and have been introduced to operating ag equipment and such at an early age, and UTV's are common in farm and ranch operations. But it is what it is, and having to complete one of these safety courses is not a bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts