Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some (free) safety wire pliers.want to use them.i searched about lug nuts and didn't find anything,only on general use and where holes have been put there at the factory.does anyone use wire and what application.thank you

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Just got some (free) safety wire pliers.want to use them.i searched about lug nuts and didn't find anything,only on general use and where holes have been put there at the factory.does anyone use wire and what application.thank you
Used to use it on my old race bike. - What a absolute pain it was drilling out the bolts. It's great for what it is and the pliers are fun to use, but what a pain to put on, after the novelty is over!

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
I used to use safety wire all the time on my dirt bikes to secure the grips. I have a spool of stainless steel safety wire that I bought at an aircraft supply shop back in the early 80's. I still have most of the spool left and these days I use it to secure the latches on my tire chains.

I never invested in a fancy pair of safety wire pliers. I have a little gizmo I bought back in 1979 for $5 that I still use today (see below).

Office supplies Font Writing implement Metal Aluminium

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reciprocating aircraft engines use safety wire on just about everything that is secured with a fastener.
There are specific rules on how to install safety wire correctly and in the USAF every safety wire is inspected
during a complete engine inspection after any work is performed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Reciprocating aircraft engines use safety wire on just about everything that is secured with a fastener.
There are specific rules on how to install safety wire correctly and in the USAF every safety wire is inspected
Jet as well and all over the airframes of fixed wing and rotary wing. Rotary wing gets lockwire on darned near everything unless the fastener is specifically designed to NOT need lockwire....10 years as an auto-mechanic....30 years as a flight engineer.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
....30 years as a flight engineer.....
And ........ thankyou for your dedication and service!!!!! (I wish we had an emoji salute)

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Is there any concern of the safety wire affecting balance?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is there any concern of the safety wire affecting balance?
nope. Most lockwire is on the fasteners on the non moving parts. Where it is on moving parts (turbine labyrinth seal comes to mind) it goes all around the disc so it cancels itself out or the lockwire is close to the center of rotation so it's not a factor in the balance.

Aircraft lockwire is generally 0.020, 0.032 and 0.040 in monel and inconel. It's pretty light and generally isn't a factor in the balance. Components that are going to carry fasteners and lockwire in a dynamic state are generally engineered to take into account the weight of such items.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On my track motorcycle only. Drilling bolts is a pain.
When I used to road race motorcycles, I had a fixture that would allow me to mount bolts/nuts on my drill press and then it was no more trouble that drilling a hole. The other thing I woudl do is if the bolt/nut had clear access when it was installed is I'd drill the holes right there where it was mounted on the bike. Once you're got the fastener held firm, drilling the holes is a lot easier...

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you really want to use safety wire get a millwright job in a paper mill. You’ll be sick of it in a hurry. Better off using the pliers for rebar ties.

On another note, it’s good to see I am not the only guy who buys cool tools and then has to find a use for them!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did lots of research and although lug nuts do get wired,in this application I feel that lug torque indicator is the better solution.bought a bag of hundred for less than sixty bucks.paint is probably cheaper to use and more versatile.
i did get two flavors of wire and I am going to start wiring things up

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you really want to use safety wire get a millwright job in a paper mill. You’ll be sick of it in a hurry. Better off using the pliers for rebar ties.

On another note, it’s good to see I am not the only guy who buys cool tools and then has to find a use for them!
You are not alone. I am always on the lookout for interesting, useful tools. Lots of times I end up using a tool out of it's traditional mode. Granted, some are still cherry but many are not. I have some special purpose ones that have outlasted the original task. I have even modified several for special tasks, then had engineering want to duplicate my efforts for others to use. Radars are fun to work with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
20 yrs Army Aviation: I’ve seen a metric buttload of safety wire. The E clip on my 62C grass deflector kept popping of so I replaced it with safety wire. Hasn’t come loose in yrs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.