Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

With at least 3 feet of snow on the ground, we've taken to meditating in pretzel yoga positions for the end of winter to come. :banghead: Karma has dictated that for our enlightenment to be realized, we need to put the all of the Cutting Edges and the Extension Wings on sale. :drinks:

54 Plow Products

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have to admit you have a way with titles:lolol:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Chris - do the cutting edges come in lengths other than 54"? How wide are they?

I have a Frontier RB2184 rear blade that I've been thinking about putting on a cutting edge like one of yours. I don't mind piecing 2 of them together if necessary. The blade weighs somewhere around 450 pounds and is 7' wide.

Assuming that I could use your edges, which one would you recommend for me? I have a concrete apron that I like to keep clear. It measures about 30x60. I also have a gravel driveway that's about 400' long.

THANKS!!

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris - do the cutting edges come in lengths other than 54"? How wide are they?

I have a Frontier RB2184 rear blade that I've been thinking about putting on a cutting edge like one of yours. I don't mind piecing 2 of them together if necessary. The blade weighs somewhere around 450 pounds and is 7' wide.

Assuming that I could use your edges, which one would you recommend for me? I have a concrete apron that I like to keep clear. It measures about 30x60. I also have a gravel driveway that's about 400' long.

THANKS!!
At 450lbs, you'll want something thicker to bear the weight. I can help with that but to do it right would take a bit of help from you. I'd probably recommend rubber. It's great stuff. Takes a beating very well.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I can help with that but to do it right would take a bit of help from you.
ALWAYS happy to help! :good2: What do you need from me?

I have a buddy that's used "stall mat" from TSC on his blade, but his situation is a little different from mine. He has no concrete at his place and his blade is a light duty 5' blade from TSC. I'm a little afraid that my concrete will eat that stall mat rubber like it's nothing.

Generally I just use my single stage snow blower on the concrete apron and usually don't worry about the gravel drive as SWMBO and I both have 4WD. If the snow is deep enough/wet enough, I will get out my 3520 with a piece of ABS on the cutting edge of the FEL. It does a nice job although I generally have to replace the ABS every second snow fall. I've only had to get it out once this year.

I tried the ABS on the rear blade last year, but it did a less than impressive job on the concrete and still dug into the gravel part of the driveway. It could be that the blade is just too heavy for my snow removal. Maybe I should just pick up a light duty blade for that purpose.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
I have a buddy that's used "stall mat" from TSC on his blade, but his situation is a little different from mine. He has no concrete at his place and his blade is a light duty 5' blade from TSC. I'm a little afraid that my concrete will eat that stall mat rubber like it's nothing.
I would venture a guess that Artillian's rubber cutting edge is way more stout than the stall mats. He even has 2 models one of which is a heavier duty for gravel drives.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALWAYS happy to help! :good2: What do you need from me?

Generally I just use my single stage snow blower on the concrete apron and usually don't worry about the gravel drive as SWMBO and I both have 4WD. If the snow is deep enough/wet enough, I will get out my 3520 with a piece of ABS on the cutting edge of the FEL. It does a nice job although I generally have to replace the ABS every second snow fall. I've only had to get it out once this year.

I tried the ABS on the rear blade last year, but it did a less than impressive job on the concrete and still dug into the gravel part of the driveway. It could be that the blade is just too heavy for my snow removal. Maybe I should just pick up a light duty blade for that purpose.
For starters, we'd need to know about your existing setup. Photos, dimensions, etc. Then I'll have to do some calculations on a few things and determine the best material from what's available.

You didn't think it was going to be simple, did you? :laugh:

Just kidding, it's not that bad, but it would be best to do it by email and/or phone.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
it would be best to do it by email and/or phone.
Gotcha!! I'll send an email sometime in the next week or so. Not in too much of a hurry now since snow season is (HOPEFULLY! :pray:) just about over. Plus it's too cold today to go outside with a tape measure and my camera. :)

THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
Reverse your rear blade so the cutting edge follows the moldboard instead of leading it. Then lower the blade all the way down, and then raise about an inch or so. You may drag so loose gravel this way; but you won't cut into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts