Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year, when the tomatoes and onions and peppers are all coming in and fresh, try this simple and easy recipe. It will amaze you how good it is; serve it to your guests...you can never make enough.

1 pint of chopped tomatoes
1/2 pint of chopped yellow onion
1/2 pint of chopped mixed hot/mild red/green/yellow peppers to taste.
Bottle of Original Wishbone salad dressing.
Garlic to taste
Salt to taste (if you want it)

Mix peppers, tomatoes and onions; add enough Wishbone salad dressing to cover generously. Stir
slightly;

dip with tortilla chips, and stand back. You probably can't make enough. Good luck.
Portions are approximate; mix to your own taste; and don't forget the garlic!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Perfect, because I made beef fajitas today! :fed:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
The salsa sounds great...

I need to get by to our Local Garden place.

They are great. Earlier in the summer I fermented about 60 jars of cabbage, cucumbers and peppers using my Harsch crocks using what they grow locally mostly other than some garlic and spices. . I love this time of the year.... My extra fridge is packed.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Time to Ferment

Stocking up on ferments here :)

Started with 40 pounds of organic local cabbage, 13 pounds of organic local beets, Himalayan salt and water.

Shredded it all, stuffed into my 3 Harsch Crocks.

Waited 4 weeks and pulled today. It's always best after it's been in the fridge longer as well. Ended up with 29 jars. Have more cabbage and beets, will be doing one more run for now. Then I would like to do some pickles and such.

harsch_crocks.JPG
ferment_jars.JPG

·
8,558 Posts
Yummy! I did my first sauerkraut ever a couple of years ago! Was much easier than I expected! I think I got 12 quart jars for my efforts!

I have never fermented beets. Always cooked them, and pickled them, all in one day. Care to share your technique for those? They do make one need the bleach for the kitchen countertops when finished playing with them!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I will share, I will be doing it again this weekend, will take some photos, have to take one of the disaster in my kitchen when it's all done, I don't clean as I go, I clean it all at the end :)

The beets are crazy, I have a beet ruined T-shirt I use to do this process.

Those are a beet cabbage combo, taste like pickled beets, but the cabbage adds that sour pickle flavor. I used to do this is mason jars, too hard though, keep having to de-gas it. The crocks do that for you and allows it to go 4 weeks, makes for a better ferment.

Yummy! I did my first sauerkraut ever a couple of years ago! Was much easier than I expected! I think I got 12 quart jars for my efforts!

I have never fermented beets. Always cooked them, and pickled them, all in one day. Care to share your technique for those? They do make one need the bleach for the kitchen countertops when finished playing with them!!

·
8,558 Posts
Nothing stained by a beet will ever come clean again!!

I'll look forward to the technique and photos!!! I'm probably not the only one!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Harsch Crock Fermenting Finished

OK, all done :)

Here is a nice photo of my clean kitchen prepped. The box is for large scraps.

start.JPG

The Cuisinart is used to shred the beets and cabbage. I have tried a manual large mandolin type slide, SCARY! You need cut resistant gloves or this claw that holds onto the cabbage as it slides back and forth. Cuisinart worded great!!! I dump 2 full containers full in the crock, add salt and mix, and hand pulverize/squeeze some. This get the natural juices to come out. That way at the end you are just adding enough salt water to go over the stones.

harsch_crock_start.JPG

Here is the aftermath of shredding the beets and carrots. And the total mess afterwards. Had some packaging paper, made for a nice table cover and easier cleanup.

After_beet_mess.JPG

fermenting_aftermath.JPG

Here is each crock full. You have to leave room for the stones and water, once the water is in it should not above the bend where the crock tapers in.

harsch_crock_prep.JPG

Next you have to add broad/wide cabbage leave over anything like this. you don't want much oft he shreds to float to the top, can cause mold issues. Trust me, if your ferment is bad, you will know it by the small, UGH!

Crock_prep.JPG

Here is it with the stones in place (below). Next I add salted water 2 to 3 inches above the stones. Pop on the lids and add water to the reservoir. You have to watch the reservoir, make sure the water does not dry out and break the seal.

finished.JPG

I did a crock with beets and carrots only (beet kvass). This one only goes 2 weeks, then at least 2 weeks in fridge. Same with pickles. Anything with cabbage needs to go 4 weeks.

·
8,558 Posts
For sauerkraut, I use the mandolin style cabbage slicer. I don't usually think about anything else when using it!

Interesting that you want a "seal" with your crocks. I just let the natural juices come up, due to the salt. I cover the top with the large outer cabbage leaves. They will get moldy looking, but the stuff under them is fine. But that is with cabbage, not with beets.

I think you are cleaner with beets than I am! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Well that's how the crock works. The lids had 2 half circles in them. They allow air to escape, right now already I can hear air bubble coming up which is a great sign. These crocks have been used for centuries I guess. When I tried mason jars, if I did not let some air out they would explode :)

Well, I may have been better this time, I was posting here LOL....

For sauerkraut, I use the mandolin style cabbage slicer. I don't usually think about anything else when using it!

Interesting that you want a "seal" with your crocks. I just let the natural juices come up, due to the salt. I cover the top with the large outer cabbage leaves. They will get moldy looking, but the stuff under them is fine. But that is with cabbage, not with beets.

I think you are cleaner with beets than I am! :laugh:

·
8,558 Posts
I use some really old numbered crocks that have no lids. With nothing on top of the cabbage but the large leaves, plenty of air escapes, since there is no lid. I've always been a little leery of the crocks with lids! Now I see they work well too!! Thanks for the info, AND the pics!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts