Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have, or know where I can get a wiring diagram for a John Deere mounted spreader? Model LP 35439
The problem is, There are 3 wires. 1 pos., 1 Neg., and 1 purple. What is the purple wire for?

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
It appears that the purple wire is used as a trigger wire for the tractors ignition so you cannot engage the spreader without the ignition being turned on.

Below is a link to the Operator's Manual for the spreader. Page 11 explains where to connect the purple wire on the various tractor models.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/assets/images/instructions/2015/lp35439.pdf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me know if you run into any issues. The instructions are horrible when trying to figure out how to hook up the purple wire they just say attach to the yellow ignition wire. There are many yellow wires and it’s hard to isolate the exact one with such general directions. I would be happy to help, i could even post some pictures this upcoming weekend of my install if you like.

I spent hours hunting the web to find the location of the correct yellow wire (to attach the purple wire to) with no avail. Eventually i went to it with a multimeter and was able to conform the location of the right yellow wire.

It’s on the right side of the tractor (ignition key side) inside one of the black plastic protective tubes under where the pedals are if i can remember correctly. After finding it the instructions make more sense, but before it’s just plain frustrating.

Of course i located the wire and my fun didn’t stop there. To further complicate my situation one of the spade plugs inside the switch assembly on the spreader was never connected at the factory and it’s concealed so that was an extra hour of head scratching until i removed the switch and found the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Let me know if you run into any issues. The instructions are horrible when trying to figure out how to hook up the purple wire they just say attach to the yellow ignition wire. There are many yellow wires and it’s hard to isolate the exact one with such general directions. I would be happy to help, i could even post some pictures this upcoming weekend of my install if you like.
Let me ask a really silly question. Why can't you just forget the harness with the purple wire and cable this up to the battery just like an electric sprayer? After all, the spreader has its own power switch. I never understood why they felt it was necessary to have it enabled by the ignition switch. Most other 12V attachments out there simply connect to the battery - EZ Peezy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
990BB343-B024-416C-B2C0-EF447DA2C6C3.jpeg
73CB70A2-FE46-4E86-86C8-2A307E368D02.jpeg

I bought a cigarette lighter adapter at TSC and just plug the spreader into the outlet on the fender of my X758. The spreader is switched (on the gate handle) as is the outlet of the X758 (on the dash panel)...

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
I bought a cigarette lighter adapter at TSC and just plug the spreader into the outlet on the fender of my X758. The spreader is switched (on the gate handle) as is the outlet of the X758 (on the dash panel)...
Looks like a much better way to do it. Forget that purple wire. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks like a much better way to do it. Forget that purple wire. :)
Didn’t even have to splice any wires! The cigarette lighter adapter plugs right into the JD spreader wiring:bigthumb:

·
Registered
657 Posts
And here's another way to run power to the spreader.

By the way, I see where the OP posted as "salt spreader wiring". I own the same spreader and it one hell of a spreader for just about anything, especially lawn seed and fertilizer. Everything I own that needs power out back attaches to the distribution box via waterproof sockets with the exception of my winch which runs to the trailer outlet on the side of the box. Winch controls plug in beside that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
Let me ask a really silly question. Why can't you just forget the harness with the purple wire and cable this up to the battery just like an electric sprayer? After all, the spreader has its own power switch. I never understood why they felt it was necessary to have it enabled by the ignition switch. Most other 12V attachments out there simply connect to the battery - EZ Peezy.
From an engineering standpoint, via the ignition system usually means the tractor is running and charging the battery. Probably a JD CYA so people can't complain their battery died if it was connected directly and engine not running.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
From an engineering standpoint, via the ignition system usually means the tractor is running and charging the battery. Probably a JD CYA so people can't complain their battery died if it was connected directly and engine not running.
Perhaps, but why only the spreader? Other JD brand 12v attachments like sprayers don’t have such wiring. You are more likely to use a sprayer without the engine running when doing fruit trees or similar. Whereas how would you ever use a spreader without the tractor moving?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts