Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this piece goes back about 10 years for me when I was sent in with some other operators to demolish a large part of the former John A Roebling's Sons Co. Kinkora Works steel mill. It was, and still is, a superfund project.
It made the steel and then the wire for Roebling's wire rope empire that lasted up until the late 60's.
I found this lamp arm on the end of a row of huge wood shelves.
I immediately knew I had to have it. It's all that's left of a beautiful turn of the century mill building called Building 16.
After hanging in my shed for 10 years I decided it was time for it to be used again this time in my home.

I figure the 100 year old paint is certainly lead based. But the flaking paint had character and was original. I decided to clear matte clear coat it to seal it.
I bought a light Made in USA from the internet that had a vintage look. And grabbed one of vintage bulbs from Lowes.
I wired it and tested it.
I'll update when it's in it's final position.:yahoo:

The first two pics are of Building 16 where I found it. It wasn't far to the left of this original Otis elevator. The first in the county by the way.

IMG_8032.JPG

IMG_7845.JPG

IMG_7837.jpg

IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_7969.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8003.jpg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sweet!!
all I have holding my light over the toolbox is a magnetic goose neck light,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Great find, I envy your connection with the Roebling site, he was a great American, sad to hear it is a super fund site. David McCullough's book "The Great Bridge" is an incredible story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge which was designed and supervised by Roebling and his son, I would recommend it to anyone. You have a piece of history there, good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts