Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blaster leg issue was driving me crazy so I had to fix them, the blaster looks better with the legs straight after all. I think the straight legs are far enough back they will provide albiet a smaller foot print but still a stable one.

I forgot to get a front shot, I'll take one tomorrow...

Now onto building the handle bars and plumbing up the regulator. I know, I know but things always don't work out. :boredom::boredom::boredom:

The one photo I was trying to shoot both legs to show how they look as one.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
It looks better to me Jim, it's coming along nicely. Sometimes it's what we think are the simple things going into a project that takes the most time and aggravates us the most!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks better to me Jim, it's coming along nicely. Sometimes it's what we think are the simple things going into a project that takes the most time and aggravates us the most!
I feel much better now Kenny, thanks. :empathy3:

What screwed me up was the new magnetic protractor i used to figure out the angle of the legs .. it's sides are only 5" long, had I used the 12" blade from my combination square with it I might have seen the angle I chose was to low. Live and learn as the saying goes.. :thumbup1gif:

We changed welders too, the 251 won't feed wire properly, it stops and starts, I think it's time to replace the MiG guns liner. We had to deal with feed problems on both welders this time. I put two washers under the wire drives adjusting knob on the MM 180 to get it to feed properly. I need to clean the groves in both welder's wire drive wheels when I'm done with the blaster. The MM180 isn't that old so it's MiG gun's liner shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the handle bars built today they came out nice..

The photo of the back of the blaster the 3/4 pipe handle bars were still long, I hadn't cut them off yet with the pipe cutter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
You're getting there. Have you considered an electronic protractor?

I have the first generation one of these, and I see he's come out with one with a HOLD button and if the picture is any indication, it will work on horizontal surfaces too. The first generation only works on angles in a vertical plane. There are a number of knockoffs on the market too and some have a third HOLD button.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html

I also have one of these with the 8" blades. I like it except it needs a HOLD button too, and the lock mechanism could be more secure without disturbing the reading.

http://www.wixey.com/digitalprotractor/index.html

The neat thing about these gadgets is that they read down to 1/10 of a degree.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have the first generation one of these, and I see he's come out with one with a HOLD button and if the picture is any indication, it will work on horizontal surfaces too. The first generation only works on angles in a vertical plane. There are a number of knockoffs on the market too and some have a third HOLD button.

I also have one of these with the 8" blades. I like it except it needs a HOLD button too, and the lock mechanism could be more secure without disturbing the reading.

MJ I switched back to my mechanical protractor with it's 12" blade when I'm figuring out what angle I want to build to, it's longer blade helps see the angle better. I have a 16" combination square whose blade I can switch with the 12" blade to really gain prospective.

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts

I have his angle gauge, as well as the DRO for my table saw fence-good stuff!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got the regulator installed, now I only have to make something like a 3" X 1/1/2" triangle out of some 3/16 plate and weld it to the bottom of the tank and front leg for a support and paint it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Lookin' Good Jim

You really have to be happy with the way things are working out for you on this? Are you anxious to use on the next project? Do you have a project lined up and waiting?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randy I re-did the blaster because I can't find a place with a tank big enough to boil my Montgomery Wards GT project's frame and fenders.

The blaster is almost done and for that I am truly glad...but I did learn something about prospective and using a small/short protractor when estimating angles... so the extra work wasn't a waste of time.

I'll be testing the blaster out on some old rims I have and the rims on trailer in the picture next week. I hope to blast the GT before winter. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Tackit:

The gauge on your regulator looks like the same one that's on my Grizzly pistol grip tire inflator. Darn tough for me to read with all those scales on a small gauge.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it's a Grizzly guage. I have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can buy a new guage locally or need to order one. I'm using the Grizzly guage just to show how it will look.

The Grizzly guage would work but it needs to be bushed up to 1/4" NPT... but the brass bushing cost almost as much as a new guage.

The guage I picked out has an easier to read face, I'm hoping NAPA has one like it or can order one like it so I can get it overnight.. if not I'll have to order one but again it will be tuesday at the earliest I can have it here. :munch:

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
As I recall the Grizzly gauge is an odd size thread as I'd like to replace it on my tire inflator with one that has an easier read face and more accuracy.

I guess I'll check McMaster-Carr the next time I need other stuff from them.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I recall the Grizzly gauge is an odd size thread as I'd like to replace it on my tire inflator with one that has an easier read face and more accuracy.

I guess I'll check McMaster-Carr the next time I need other stuff from them.
When the guage dropped into the regulator's hole I just assumed it was 1/8 NPT .... I wonder if the threads could be BSP?

The British Standard Pipe thread (BSP thread) is a family of standard screw thread types that has been adopted internationally for interconnecting and sealing pipe ends by mating an external (male) with an internal (female) thread.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You may have to drill and tap the brass fitting the gauge screws into to 1/4 NPT to change the gauge.

I found this gauge in my NAPA Parts Supplies and Acessories catalog but it goes to high for what I need on the blaster ... I hoping they have one or can order one that goes to 100 psi so the numbers and lines on the gauge's face will be larger.

https://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7706996_0006382116&An=0

Here's the gauge I'll probably end up ordering from Granger.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Pressure-Gauge-4FLU1?Pid=search

Here's the air tool

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I'll get that goofy Grizzly gauge's threads figured out eventually. It's not a high priority item for me to get done. Like you, I just want something that's easier to read.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll get that goofy Grizzly gauge's threads figured out eventually. It's not a high priority item for me to get done. Like you, I just want something that's easier to read.
MJ I got the 2 1/2" Granger gauge but in order to get the gauge I wanted I had to go with a 1/4" pipe thread and buy a 1/4 to 1/8 pipe adapter.

Granger probably carries a BSP thread to 1/4 or 1/8 pipe adapter for the Grizzly thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Thanks Tackit. I'll have to get it from McMaster-Carr as Grainger won't sell to a lowly scum of the earth homeowner like me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finished the blaster tonight. I'll be testing it out as soon as the weather cooperates. It still needs sensors, stereo system, microwave oven, heated handle bars, a small fridge, sink and a warming TP holder so my bung is always clean and I'm content, comfy,safe, well nurished and hydrated while working with it. :lol:

I ordered the blasting hood today on ebay... 39 bucks to the house... free shipping...

I promise no more of my boring projects for a while....It took longer to build than I thought it would. 9 pics coming.

The dolly I built many years ago out of salvaged steel, what a handy project it turned out to be.

The new Dynabrade tool did it's job as expected. The photos of it are dimesionally out of wack, I need to get a 50MM primary lens for the camera, the belt and the tool are wider then they look in the pictures. The belts are 1/2", the size I need to debur the insides of square tubing and pipes.

Now on to finish spraying the 855's running boards and the back of the seat with bed-liner and mounting a new SMV sign on the back of the seat.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Great project Jim:good2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts