Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of dealing with my frontier DSL line that is unreliable to the point I have to reboot my router at least twice or more a week to get a good connection. It is really really slow, I can get a whole 750K speed up to 1MB speeds if I am lucky. I have had them out to look at the service and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the lines or my system. The service department I spoke with said frontier only has to give you speeds up to 3MB, so since they can give me maybe 1MB there is nothing wrong.

So my question is. Is there anyone on here that is using Satellite as their internet service provider? Who are you using? Are you happy with the connections? Have you ever capped out your bandwidth? What issues have you had?

I am thinking of using HughesNet, since I already have DishTv I can get a whopping $5 a month off my bill. My main usage is email, web surfing. I have several security cameras that only stream video when I am viewing the cameras on my cell phone. My Weather station sends live data to several places. That pretty much covers my internet usage. We do not stream movies.

Any and all input is welcome. I am just fed up with frontier and have been since they bought out Verizon several years ago. I do not use a landline for a phone.

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
I am tired of dealing with my frontier DSL line that is unreliable to the point I have to reboot my router at least twice or more a week to get a good connection. It is really really slow, I can get a whole 750K speed up to 1MB speeds if I am lucky. I have had them out to look at the service and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the lines or my system. The service department I spoke with said frontier only has to give you speeds up to 3MB, so since they can give me maybe 1MB there is nothing wrong.

So my question is. Is there anyone on here that is using Satellite as their internet service provider? Who are you using? Are you happy with the connections? Have you ever capped out your bandwidth? What issues have you had?

I am thinking of using HughesNet, since I already have DishTv I can get a whopping $5 a month off my bill. My main usage is email, web surfing. I have several security cameras that only stream video when I am viewing the cameras on my cell phone. My Weather station sends live data to several places. That pretty much covers my internet usage. We do not stream movies.

Any and all input is welcome. I am just fed up with frontier and have been since they bought out Verizon several years ago. I do not use a landline for a phone.
We just updated to the "new" HughesNet. We were told they just put up a new satelite back in late spring. It definitely is faster than before and yes, we have DISH as well so maybe now I can afford a large cone at the ice cream shop with my huge discount:lol:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check to see if you have any wisp providers in the area, Satellite is very latent and expensive. Start at The Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA)

Many WISPs are word of mouth so ask around. I've attached a screenshot of my WISP speed test

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks, I looked and they have nothing in my area. I have also contacted a company that provides similar services, they cannot reach my area. Comcast will install a new line to my residence for $16,000.00, yup you saw that correctly and Frontier is the only other gig in town that uses my current land line. So it has to be satellite.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
How's your cellular coverage out there? Particularly AT&T coverage? The reason that I ask is that AT&T has something called a "ZTE Mobley". It's a mobile hotspot that's designed for "road warriors". It's supposed to plug into the diagnostics port on your car and get it's power from that. But, there are A/C adaptors available on Amazon so you can plug it in inside your house. You can also hook a router up to it, although it's designed out of the box to allow up to 5 devices to hook up to it.

Here's the great part - an UNLIMITED plan is $20 / month!! :bigthumb: Theoretically, they are allowed to throttle down the speeds after you hit 22GB per month, but apparently they only do that if you are using it during super heavy traffic periods on the tower you're connected to.

There are some ups and downs. I bought two of them. The first one I unpacked I tried to activate online with no success yet. Part of that is my fault as I've been tied up with so many things the last couple of weeks (which has cut into my time being on GTT). The other one came pre-activated right out of the box. I just plugged it in and connected. That one currently resides in my daughter's college apartment. The limited amount of internet she needs there didn't justify a $60/month internet cable bill so I thought I'd try this one. The yet to be activated unit will be my backup at home and will also travel with me so I don't have to rely on unsecured hotel connections when I'm on the road.

There's a 60+ page thread on "that other tractor forum" which discusses this in great detail. It's in the "Rural Living" section and called "Cheap $20 a month stand alone...."

Everything I've read about satellite leads me to believe that would be the last choice if anything else was available.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Wild Blue/Excede. Better than DSL, but you can hit your cap pretty quick if overused. Then you get dialed down for a month and can barely check email. If you don't stream movies, or watch a lot of youtube stuff, then it should be a great improvement over your DSL

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks, I looked and they have nothing in my area. I have also contacted a company that provides similar services, they cannot reach my area. Comcast will install a new line to my residence for $16,000.00, yup you saw that correctly and Frontier is the only other gig in town that uses my current land line. So it has to be satellite.
The sad thing is that your DSL provider is probably getting millions in CAF money to grow rural internet and doing nothing with it.

·
Registered
459 Posts

We have had HughesNet since March, as satellite is really our only option for internet. It is fairly expensive compared to other satellite internet providers in our area, but they had the most reliable connection for us. That being said, we have had no problems with it. We have a fairly large ranch-style home (approx. 70'x50') and the router sits in the middle of the basement. We have a reliable connection throughout the house and a decent connection for about 50' outside the house, I'm impressed with the coverage area.
Both my wife and I can stream video at the same time, stream HD on our TV and haven't had bandwidth issues. We do not play video games so I can't vouch for any online gaming reliability, which is a big deal for some.
As for weather related issues, we have lost signal during severe thunderstorms, much like when DirecTV cuts out (I assume you DishTv guys experience this as well). I'll be interested to see how the satellite performs in the winter time with any snow accumulation.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
When I move in 3 weeks I'll be setting up some sort of Dish/Antenna ISP. I've looked at Hughes and Exede, also talking to a local line of site provider. I can't give any opinion yet as I don't have any experience with any of them.

My biggest issues are data caps/data speeds since I work from home. Some providers cap your speeds once you reach your data limit.

One thing I don't like about Hughes is the 24 month contract to start, I'm sure they all have some sort of contract but Hughes is the only one I've looked into on more than just a surface level.

Can those with Hughes/Exede(other dish based provider) share their speeds? http://www.speedtest.net/

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am using the Verizon wireless network hotspot for our rural home:

This morning:
Upload 1.41
Download 12.62

Range:
Upload .47 to 2.86
Download 5.42 to 23.06

The additional cost is $10 for the hotspot added to my unlimited phone service (no caps) plus $20/month for the hotspot that stays "at home" so the wife has internet when I am gone. My neighbors have the "new" Hughes and already have a love/hate relationship with it. So far, the hotspot has served me well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I move in 3 weeks I'll be setting up some sort of Dish/Antenna ISP. I've looked at Hughes and Exede, also talking to a local line of site provider. I can't give any opinion yet as I don't have any experience with any of them.

My biggest issues are data caps/data speeds since I work from home. Some providers cap your speeds once you reach your data limit.

One thing I don't like about Hughes is the 24 month contract to start, I'm sure they all have some sort of contract but Hughes is the only one I've looked into on more than just a surface level.
Yes, this was scary for us. But it's a necessary evil I guess.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
The sad thing is that your DSL provider is probably getting millions in CAF money to grow rural internet and doing nothing with it.

As someone in the business, I can tell you they are not doing nothing with it. The CAF program is pretty stringent. My company sells to the Telco's and also does installation for some. The timelines and penalties are very strict. As someone who lives in a rural area and doesn't see the CAF money locally I understand the frustration, but depending on the Telco the market they have targeted for CAF may just not be in your area. In my case, CAF money is not within 2 hours of me. I'm not 100% sure how Century Link planners target the areas they do, but I do know they have a number of living units they must meet in order not to pay penalties on the CAF roll out. It's very much a numbers game, but in area's I'm overseeing the end users are very happy.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Can those with Hughes/Exede(other dish based provider) share their speeds? http://www.speedtest.net/
I've heard VPN doesn't work well over Satellite if you plan on working from home.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
How's your cellular coverage out there? Particularly AT&T coverage? The reason that I ask is that AT&T has something called a "ZTE Mobley". It's a mobile hotspot that's designed for "road warriors". It's supposed to plug into the diagnostics port on your car and get it's power from that. But, there are A/C adaptors available on Amazon so you can plug it in inside your house. You can also hook a router up to it, although it's designed out of the box to allow up to 5 devices to hook up to it.

Here's the great part - an UNLIMITED plan is $20 / month!! :bigthumb: Theoretically, they are allowed to throttle down the speeds after you hit 22GB per month, but apparently they only do that if you are using it during super heavy traffic periods on the tower you're connected to.

There are some ups and downs. I bought two of them. The first one I unpacked I tried to activate online with no success yet. Part of that is my fault as I've been tied up with so many things the last couple of weeks (which has cut into my time being on GTT). The other one came pre-activated right out of the box. I just plugged it in and connected. That one currently resides in my daughter's college apartment. The limited amount of internet she needs there didn't justify a $60/month internet cable bill so I thought I'd try this one. The yet to be activated unit will be my backup at home and will also travel with me so I don't have to rely on unsecured hotel connections when I'm on the road.

There's a 60+ page thread on "that other tractor forum" which discusses this in great detail. It's in the "Rural Living" section and called "Cheap $20 a month stand alone...."

Everything I've read about satellite leads me to believe that would be the last choice if anything else was available.
I feel like Gizmo2 with all these single quotes instead of multiquotes....

I have Verizon Unlimited and use my jetpack part time. While my plan is unlimited, once I reach 22 gig of data though my speed is capped, depending on tower usage. Verizon puts you on a priority data. If there are other users that have not reached that plateau they will be first in line for the LTE/5G pipes. If there are not enough users I still get LTE.

·
Registered
825 Posts
As someone in the business, I can tell you they are not doing nothing with it. The CAF program is pretty stringent. My company sells to the Telco's and also does installation for some. The timelines and penalties are very strict. As someone who lives in a rural area and doesn't see the CAF money locally I understand the frustration, but depending on the Telco the market they have targeted for CAF may just not be in your area. In my case, CAF money is not within 2 hours of me. I'm not 100% sure how Century Link planners target the areas they do, but I do know they have a number of living units they must meet in order not to pay penalties on the CAF roll out. It's very much a numbers game, but in area's I'm overseeing the end users are very happy.

CenturyLink seems to rollout G Pro in small town apartment complexes with CAF money from what I understand, I can't blame them, multi-unit housing is the fastest ROI. I guess rural DSL subscriber needs to understand copper is dead and that fiber is not worth running down miles of country roads for 5 homes. 5G LTE is going to change things in the very near future.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
CenturyLink seems to rollout G Pro in small town apartment complexes with CAF money from what I understand, I can't blame them, multi-unit housing is the fastest ROI. I guess rural DSL subscriber needs to understand copper is dead and that fiber is not worth running down miles of country roads for 5 homes. 5G LTE is going to change things in the very near future.

Some of the work we're doing in MO is very rural, to the point where there is only a handful of expected living units. Tons of money being spent to lay fiber, commercial power and then the equipment and only expecting 2-8 users. I guess that sums up government spending. I can't complain though, it's how I'm currently making my living.

MO is also where I see Century Link spending the most money, not sure how it worked out that way. But I've been in MO,KS,WA,MT,NC,OR and here in CO looking at CAF sites. Some territories differ in their definition of rural, but there are some build sites that make you shake your head and wonder who's ever gonna use this.

Cellular will only be as good as their tower coverage. Which means they will have to lay fiber, build towers and invest in their infrastructure too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I have Sprint as my cell provider. I also have their hotspot on my phone. I actually use it when I am home because it is better than my DSL. However, I do not think that a Hotspot would work well with my cameras, weather station and other items I use. My choices are really limited due to what I want to use it for.

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
If you haven't read any of my previous posts about Frontier service, I can sum up all of them on one line:

FRONTIER SUCKS.

I don't do Facebook, but my wife tells me there are several Facebook sites referring to the poor service from Frontier. I think they prey on rural areas who have no other option for internet service. Maybe we should complain to Al Gore, the internet inventor. I've pretty much given up. I have no other option other than satellite and I'm really not sure it is worth the cost. I haven't spent a lot of time researching, but it seems heavily regulated by the provider and expensive. I'll be interested to see what you bring out.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts

I don't know what 5G LTE even means.

Some of the work we're doing in MO is very rural, to the point where there is only a handful of expected living units. Tons of money being spent to lay fiber, commercial power and then the equipment and only expecting 2-8 users. I guess that sums up government spending. I can't complain though, it's how I'm currently making my living.

MO is also where I see Century Link spending the most money, not sure how it worked out that way. But I've been in MO,KS,WA,MT,NC,OR and here in CO looking at CAF sites. Some territories differ in their definition of rural, but there are some build sites that make you shake your head and wonder who's ever gonna use this.

Cellular will only be as good as their tower coverage. Which means they will have to lay fiber, build towers and invest in their infrastructure too.
Something similar where I live. I don't know if it was an incentive for rural areas or not that gave me cable. I was formerly using HughesNet in if infacy - was actually a beta tester.

I estimate my cable run (I am at the very end) is around 8 miles long and has about 17 customers. It is cable (copper I guess) but I have the option of 200mbs service if I want. I have 50mbs for $50 and am more than happy. Each time I do a speed test - even while streaming 1080p on Netflix, I am getting the advertised speed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts