Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite seemingly using it for everything, I only put around 50 hrs per year on my X500 garden tractor. As such I install a maintenance kit (air filter, plugs, fuel filter) every 100 hrs or every two years. However, I change the engine oil and filter every 25 hrs which is twice a year.

I noticed that it doesn't take very long for the outer foam air filter element to get pretty dirty whereas the inner paper element stays very clean.

So what I've been doing is I saved the foam outer element from my first air filter change and I washed it and let it air dry. Then, every 25 hrs when I change engine oil and filter I swap out the foam filter for a clean one, rinse and repeat.

It seemed silly to throw them away as they are virtually like brand new once you rinse them out and it gives me a nice clean air filter every 25 hrs without purchasing an expensive paper filter. Does anyone else do this?

IMG_2077.jpg

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Does anyone else do this?
never had that on my wheel horse. only found out about it on my dad's 318

and yes-i have done the same -wash and let dry-i have several brand news in the garage as extras

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Despite seemingly using it for everything, I only put around 50 hrs per year on my X500 garden tractor. As such I install a maintenance kit (air filter, plugs, fuel filter) every 100 hrs or every two years. However, I change the engine oil and filter every 25 hrs which is twice a year.

I noticed that it doesn't take very long for the outer foam air filter element to get pretty dirty whereas the inner paper element stays very clean.

So what I've been doing is I saved the foam outer element from my first air filter change and I washed it and let it air dry. Then, every 25 hrs when I change engine oil and filter I swap out the foam filter for a clean one, rinse and repeat.

It seemed silly to throw them away as they are virtually like brand new once you rinse them out and it gives me a nice clean air filter every 25 hrs without purchasing an expensive paper filter. Does anyone else do this?

View attachment 492882
I have done this once with my existing filter. Sometime this summer I washed it.

Just the other day I was going to put my new ones on from my last service kit. Everything else was already installed. Only to find out that the wrap was the wrong size. The inside filter didn't look that bad. So I figured that I would just wash the wrap one more time. When I put the wrap back on afterwards it was to stretched for my liking.

Finally got it exchanged for the right one. Just went out to check. The new wrap fits new filter much better.

Cleaning the wrap every 25 hours is probably overkill. Unless the it gets driven in a lot of dirt.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

View attachment 492882

I have a couple spare ones for the Kohler in my L130, and like you I usually swap them out about mid season to help keep the paper filter cleaner- I know the green ones I have catch a lot of bigger stuff along (grass, seeds, leaves,etc.) with a fair amount of fine dirt.

It’s also helpful to have a spare when you find a mouse has eaten halfway thru the one on your machine and you can just replace it instead of opening a whole new filter.

·
Premium Member
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaning the wrap every 25 hours is probably overkill. Unless the it gets driven in a lot of dirt.
I agree. But... I'm sitting with my nose 12" from the filter while I wait for the oil to drain and even though the foam element isn't THAT dirty, it does have some debris on it, especially on the bottom side. I wouldn't make a special effort to clean it every 25 hrs but since I already have the hood up - why not? :)

Reactions: Kloudbuster

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
When I bought my used x485 the filter wrap was falling apart, literally crumbling. So I replaced the complete filter. So I have no spare outer foam wraps, I need to order some!

The Owner's Manual for my JD 285 said oil the foam wrap. The manual for x485, says not to oil the wrap :dunno: I wonder why the change? I am guessing it could mess up the sensors/signals to EFI module. :dunno: Does anybody oil their foam wrap anyway???

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Premium Member
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anybody oil their foam wrap anyway???
Typically you don't oil a foam filter when it is over a paper filter as the oil will soak into the paper element and ruin it. It is common to oil a single layer or dual layer foam filter.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
When I bought my used x485 the filter wrap was falling apart, literally crumbling. So I replaced the complete filter. So I have no spare outer foam wraps, I need to order some!

The Owner's Manual for my JD 285 said oil the foam wrap. The manual for x485, says not to oil the wrap :dunno: I wonder why the change? I am guessing it could mess up the sensors/signals to EFI module. :dunno: Does anybody oil their foam wrap anyway???
After washing mine I gave it a quick spray with BelRay foam air filter oil. Use very little and only on the outside surface. No where near the amount I would use for a foam only air filter. Just removed the wrap and no oil whatsoever got on the paper filter.

To use motor oil you generally soak the foam and squeeze out the excess oil before installing it. This would definitely leave enough to wreck the paper filter.
Dedicated foam filter oil is far superior to engine oil.

Normally putting on a foam or gauze air filter dry is bad. Because the small particles can pass right through it. However the paper element is there to stop the small stuff.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts

Been doing it for years on our 314-8 Wheel Horse.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Yep always wash and reuse here too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts