Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using a Brother 6490 multi function inkjet printer in my shop office for about 8 years. The print quality has been degrading over the years. About a month ago, after changing ink cartridges, it quit printing all together. I ran the clean print head function, it would work for 1 printing, then not print again without cleaning again. Sometimes, just black would print, sometimes just colors might print. most times nothing would print.

I decided it was time to get a new printer. Several times I would do research on printers & add a printer to my Amazon cart, then when I would go to checkout later, either the printer was no longer in stock or the price would increase 10 or more percent. Friday night I did a lot of searching & reading on printer issues with inkjet printers not printing on the internet.

I finally hit on a step by step article about how to manually clean the print heads on a Brother printer. Saturday I went through the process on my printer. It was a messy process, but to my surprise it worked. The printer prints better than I ever remember it printing. Pictures that are printed on plain paper now look like real pictures instead of pictures from a news paper. One thing I did differently than the article stated to do. I used window cleaner instead of print head cleaner. I had read that window cleaner in other articles as I was searching.

I am not sure if the process will work for other brand printers, but here is the link. I did not search, but the site may have information on how to clean other brands of printers also.

How To Unclog Brother Multifunction Inkjet Printhead Nozzles -

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We used to fight ink jet printers,,, but, now,,, mostly due to ink prices,,,
we switched to a Brother laser printer

That thing prints forever,,, AND - NO - INK - DRYING!! :good2:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used to fight ink jet printers,,, but, now,,, mostly due to ink prices,,,
we switched to a Brother laser printer

That thing prints forever,,, AND - NO - INK - DRYING!! :good2:

A color laser was my first choice if I replaced the current printer. Toner has a high price also.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My brother got tired of maintaining a color ink jet.
Maintenance was a nightmare.
He now has a B&W laser at home.

He found it was cheaper to go to Staples for color prints,,, and tossed a high end ink jet.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do kitchen & remodel layouts. Sometimes I have to make changes & new printouts while the client is at the shop.
I have to have a color printer onsite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts