Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a box blade for my 2520 and am unsure what brands to look for or stay away from. Also what size to get? I know Frontier, Land Pride and King Kutter are a few of the brands I've seen locally. I know the Frontier will work with my JD Quick Hitch but its also the priciest of the 3. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I cant say one way or the other about other brands, but soon Ill be ordering a 4.5' box blade from Everything Attachments.
I like the slightly wider than 4' but less than 5' wide stuff. Wide enough to cover the tread width, not so wide I cant maneuver it in tight areas. I want to use it on a few trails in the woods, and a 5' would be just a bit too wide.
Im doing the same with a tiller.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Most of the new box blades (and other attachments) are listed as quick hitch compatible. I specifically checked King Kutter and Land Pride and both list as quick hitch compatible. Whatever, you choose, just make sure it is listed as quick hitch compatible. Only JD or Frontier will likely use the term iMatch compatible as that is their brand name.

Dave

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Video on EA

I cant say one way or the other about other brands, but soon Ill be ordering a 4.5' box blade from Everything Attachments.
I like the slightly wider than 4' but less than 5' wide stuff. Wide enough to cover the tread width, not so wide I cant maneuver it in tight areas. I want to use it on a few trails in the woods, and a 5' would be just a bit too wide.
Im doing the same with a tiller.
I think Everything Attachments also has a pretty good video on buying and using a box blade. Fair disclosure, I saw the video before purchasing a BB on CL even though it didn't have the curved moldboard or clevis hitch that EA recommends.

They were right in their recommendations, those two things would make a better BB but I saved quite a few bucks and don't use it that much. However if you anticipate frequent use, I would follow their recommendations.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Looking for a box blade for my 2520 and am unsure what brands to look for or stay away from. Also what size to get? I know Frontier, Land Pride and King Kutter are a few of the brands I've seen locally. I know the Frontier will work with my JD Quick Hitch but its also the priciest of the 3. Any help would be great!
The real question is how do you plan to use the Box Blade? Do you have driveways or road surfaces?

If so, you need to be able to "tilt" the box blade to create road grades. Everything attachments web site does a pretty good job of showing the features and benefits of their different box blades. I would suggest watching their You Tube videos as it will help teach you about what the different features and benefits of their different products.

Once you see what the different products / features can do, it will help you select brands to consider......as many of the different brands don't offer the same abilities to do different things, like offset angling, turning the blade completely around, etc., which you will see demonstrated in the you tube videos.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have bought my box blade and other attachments from the dealer I bought my 1025r

If the attachment does not work as promised or there are connect issues the dealer has to fix it. Also because I bought the attachment from them if something breaks the tractor the dealer has to fis it. They can not say that the damage is the implements fault and that fixing the tractor will not be done under warranty.

Extra cost yes. Peace of mind YES!

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I think Everything Attachments also has a pretty good video on buying and using a box blade. Fair disclosure, I saw the video before purchasing a BB on CL even though it didn't have the curved moldboard or clevis hitch that EA recommends.

They were right in their recommendations, those two things would make a better BB but I saved quite a few bucks and don't use it that much. However if you anticipate frequent use, I would follow their recommendations.

Treefarmer
Treefarmer,
I started to write my response probably while you were writing and posting yours on this thread. A friend called and I got distracted looking up convicted felons for him on the internet so by time I posted, our two great minds had very similar ideas.......Amazing how that happens.....:good2:

My friend owns Mobile Home park communities and he works hard to try and keep trouble out of them. So when he does get an application from someone who indicates an arrest history, I search their public records for him because I am much more proficient at it than he is.....Absolutely stunning the stuff I often see......One guy had multiple felony convictions already and at age 25, he has already served two, two year terms and is on Parole again......One guy I looked up had 7 different Felony weapons violations, except he was going to be busy as a resident of the state until 2062.....That's another 44 years and he was 44 years old. 2062 was his EARLIEST release date.......There are multiple people with the same name......

It was pretty funny because the one guy's name was something very simple like "Mike Karpentier" and his Alias was ASAD-ABDUL-MIKAL-AZIZ RASHAD, not something which just "rolls off the tongue".......:laugh:

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I have bought my box blade and other attachments from the dealer I bought my 1025r

If the attachment does not work as promised or there are connect issues the dealer has to fix it. Also because I bought the attachment from them if something breaks the tractor the dealer has to fis it. They can not say that the damage is the implements fault and that fixing the tractor will not be done under warranty.

Extra cost yes. Peace of mind YES!
All of my implements are from the Deere dealer. While I could have shopped around, when my tractor was delivered, all of the implements were fully set up and had been on the tractor and the I match was already adjusted to accommodate all of the various implements. I like the idea of having one group of people to deal with. I was there today and they are always extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with. Plus, I wrote one check and was done with the whole deal, which was nice.

While the Frontier stuff list prices are higher, there wasn't a single implement which I bought that I paid the retail price for. So, it's also important to make sure to know what the actual purchase price is from the dealer, as it is likely less than the list price, perhaps much less.......

One source for all the parts in the future. One color of touch up paint, one companies service technicians to deal with......I like the simplicity, plus everything fits and works exactly like it should.

I would also say that I have heard nothing but good things about Everything Attachments. If they had something I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

There are bunch of products sold on the internet I would want NO part of.........Cheap steel, poor quality, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve got the frontier bb2060 on my 2520. Love it. Very heavy duty and just the right width. I wouldn’t recommend going narrower or you won’t cover your tires in the wide position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
i also have the EA 54" boxblade, its very well built. They even did mine in JD Green. Because my clay and rocks are so hard i set 10 suitcase weights on the outer edges when using the rippers to give it the 'instant' weight of a full box.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Any box blade can be tilted. That comes from adjusting the adjustable three point arms. Other than that you have decisions on ripper teeth or not, made in USA or not, higher quality or not. Get one that is compatible with your size tractor as well.

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but can you please expand on how you adjust the three point arms to tilt your blade?
One of the draft links is adjustable, typically the right side.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread but can you please expand on how you adjust the three point arms to tilt your blade?
One of the draft links is adjustable, typically the right side.
Yes, what PJR832 said.
Loosen the jam nut and turn link one way or the other. Easy if you have your machine on level ground, pick up box blade slightly, then adjust to your liking. Retighten jam nut.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Basically look for a box blade that has a forward cutting edge, a separate reverse cutting edge, and pins holding the scarifiers up. Quick hitch compatible will be quite important

also I would stress getting the smallest box blade that can cover your tire tracks - I got a 48 inch frontier that is very well built, attaches like a dream, but with a full box or hitting some roots while rIpping earth it might bog me down or stall me out - it’s the right size for my tractor and any bigger would just mean not being able to fill it as much

I will also say... check out YouTube videos online. This is a very handy tool but from what I can tell steep learning curve. Also I understand a hydraulic top link to be night and day with this implement (can’t wait to get mine when I can put the tractor away for a couple weeks at the shop)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This will be primarily used to maintain my gravel driveway. I think I'm leaning toward the 60" Frontier for many of the reasons listed. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This will be primarily used to maintain my gravel driveway. I think I'm leaning toward the 60" Frontier for many of the reasons listed. Thanks for all the help.
It’s a contentious issue

Some will say rear blade or landscape rake for maintaining gravel driveway, others will say box blade

REar blade or landscape rake good for either bringing gravel back in from the sides, or dispersing the gravel from crown to the sides.

Box blade great for cutting down a crown or any really hard packed areas that need repair (scarifiers)

I suspect a box blade would be great for moving a large pile of gravel and dispersing it along the driveway in a somewhat controlled fashion - for grooming, might be better options

Would let the others chime in

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts