Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a spreader for the PTO for broadcasting seed (grass, oats, winter wheat, maybe even corn, whatever flowers the Mrs. wants, etc) and probably fertilizer. I have a 9' pull-behind lime spreader, so I don't need one for that.

I know fertilizer is highly corrosive, and stainless steel guts are desirable as is a plastic hopper. That's pretty much all I know. :laugh:

What's good, what's junk, and what's a reasonable price for these things? I've seen some listed for nearly a grand new, and that seems rather high for a little whirly tray, PTO shaft, gear box, and a sliding gate on the bottom of a bucket.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Reactions: greenharley

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
:dunno:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:munch::unknown::laugh:
A way of subscribing to the thread. I want to follow along, I have no input or knowledge on the subject.....................Bonehead.:lol:

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
A way of subscribing to the thread. I want to follow along, I have no input or knowledge on the subject.....................Bonehead.:lol:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:lolol:eek:k -bonehead-ahh-finally-here i thought u was going after ur post count-jeez:mocking:

·
Registered
778 Posts
??? What size property?

I have the john deere rotary pull behind. Holds about 175lbs of whatever. Large pneumatic tires. Pull it with my ATV, zero turn, or tractor.
Use it on 3 acres of lawn- fertilizer, seed, and snow melt in the winter for the driveway. Handles small seed like bermuda really well. don't normally put more than 100lbs in it due to slopes on my lawn.
Easy to store and handle- will hang from the wall! Think I paid @240$
Love it!

tow_behind_broadcast_spreader_642x462.png

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I picked up the King Kutter S-400-P poly hopper spreader from Fleet Farm, just south of $300, I see now they are a bit north of $500. The spreader works very well for fertilizer and grass seed. This spreader is not imatch compatible (not a big deal for me). When the hopper is full, it makes the front end squirrely, so I run with the loader on and 8-10 bags of fertilizer carried on-board for additional spread time.

The Frontier SS2067B is optionally imatch compatible, uses a lot of stainless. The Frontier dispenses material from the bottom whereas others dispense from the cone's side. I would think the bottom openings would make for a much cleaner hopper at the end of spreading.

My only complaint with the spreader really isn't a spreader defect as much as an issue with some brands of fertilizer some brands must have a higher clay content than others. Clay will build up on the rotating agitator, and spreader fins. Some fertilizer brands will have little to no build up others a lot. Pressure wash the spreader after each use, taking special care to clean the nooks and crannies on the in-hopper agitator.

Follow up by coating the metal parts with a light coating of Fluid Film, it may not stop all the corrosion, but it sure will slow it down.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my food plot is around 4 acres, and the driveway is 1/4 mile long. The area of where the wild flower seeds will go for the Mrs. is probably 7 acres give or take but that probably isn't spreader-able given the cost of those seeds - I've got a little $12 Scotts handheld that'd probably work for those. I also haven't had the soil tested anywhere on the property, so I'm not sure what kind of amendments we're looking at. It also might make more sense to have the lime spread since I can get a truck in there due to all the skidder trails if I clear the stumps out of them.

I found a possible deal on a Snow Ex 1875 that's missing it's electronic controller. I need to wait until I'm back up North to check on that since I don't want to bother the guy without an idea of when I'd be able to come check it out.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
In the above picture, I was spreading native grasses & "forbs" mix with the Herd seeder. Mixed the seeds about 3 parts coarse, dry sawdust to 1 part seed mix, went over the 1.3 acres two directions.

Seed cost was $781 for 1.6 acres, including an extra "wildflower mix" for .3 acres of that!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Mine is not PTO driven, but a 12 volt Fimco that works well for me. I bought off ebay for $265 and it only had a bent yellow strap to protect you from getting into the broadcast slinger. It did not come with the "L" shaped bolt on 2" hitch adapter and bought it from Cabelas. Don't remember how much, but ~$70 seems about right.

I have 2 acres that I use it on at least twice a year. My cousin wants to use it for some of his pasture for some reseeding. Should work well on his 7 acres.

The only thing I do NOT like about it is I take the motor off each time I clean it since it is not waterproof. But cleaning it the way I do will pay off in the long run and should last me until I can't do the work anymore.

P4244553.jpg

P4244555.jpg

Edit: Another reason when I bought this and went with 12 volt is I can use this with my 1025R and also on my Mule. Although, I didn't have the Mule at the time I bought the spreader, I knew I would have a SxS one day.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I had limited luck with the pull behind units. That's because I'm on hilly terrain. If you are on flat it probably isn't too bad. With my 318 the pull behind was within reach of the seat to shut the gate. So if I were to try a pull behind unit on my 1026R I would need a longer cable to control the flow gate. My 3 point PTO powered unit is far nicer, but also cost about double. Mine is all steel and does show some rust from previous owner leaving it outside. Since I've owned it I always clean it after use and coat with Fluid Film. Can't see any additional corrosion. So if you buy one I'd say go with Poly and Stainless, but if you don't want to spend that much I think the steel models work just fine. Even if I had the nicer unit I'd still wash it out and coat it with Fluid Film, so something to keep in mind. I also store mine in a shed off the ground and that helps.

-636 IMAG0634.jpg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I purchased a 3 point pto driven spreader from a local farm/home store. It has a sticker saying its a "farm star" but it's manufactured by Tarter and like many, whatever sticker is needed is what gets stuck on it as it comes down the line. It has a sealed gear box and other than greasing the pto shaft, it's maintenance free for the most part with the expectation of cleaning and general care. I have a 12 volt spreader for my four wheeler that has a poly tank and I still clean it throughly after every use so with that said, I didn't want to caugh up the cash needed to buy a 3point spreader with similar construction. The 3point spreader I purchased is all steel construction and no doubt would rust away to nothing rapidly without cleaning after use. I wash it throughly regardless of what I have been running through it and store it in a dry place. The only area that has any sort of surface rust is around the 3 point hitch from banging it around while connecting to tractor, the spreader does not fit on the quick hitch. For the $400 price tag I have been very happy with the exception of running it on a cab tractor sucks. I have to run around the fields with the rear window open and although eating dust never bothered me on an open station tractor, once inside the cab of a JD 3 series there's literally no where for it to go. Wished I had some side windows to pop open like other manufacturers cabs have. I need to rig up an actuator to control the gate so I can keep the cab closed up. That's my only complaint with the spreader and it's not even the spreaders fault.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Commercial spreaders

I think my food plot is around 4 acres, and the driveway is 1/4 mile long. The area of where the wild flower seeds will go for the Mrs. is probably 7 acres give or take but that probably isn't spreader-able given the cost of those seeds - I've got a little $12 Scotts handheld that'd probably work for those. I also haven't had the soil tested anywhere on the property, so I'm not sure what kind of amendments we're looking at. It also might make more sense to have the lime spread since I can get a truck in there due to all the skidder trails if I clear the stumps out of them.

I found a possible deal on a Snow Ex 1875 that's missing it's electronic controller. I need to wait until I'm back up North to check on that since I don't want to bother the guy without an idea of when I'd be able to come check it out.
I absolutely agree with using a commercial spreader for lime since you will probably be putting at least one and maybe up to three tons/acre. We have used two different 3 ph spreaders. One is a large tub suitable for lime/fertilizer etc. It weighs more than is easily moved by hand and at this point makes a good place to store fencing supplies since it's seldom used. It uses a regular PTO shaft leading to the gearbox.

We also have a smaller, lighter unit that's good for grass and clover seed but not heavy enough for anything else. It uses a flex shaft to the PTO. I doubt it holds more than 50 lbs of seed but beats the heck out of walking it on with a hand seeder. That one still gets used occasionally. For small areas, say up to an acre or two I just walk the seed on with a cyclone type hand spreader. I can do that in about the same time as hooking up the one on the tractor, getting it filled and set and so forth. Since it's usually a grass/legume mix at about 10 lbs or so to the acre it's just as easy to walk it on. I also get a chance to really look at what's already on the ground which you just can't do from tractor height.

Fertilizer and lime is done by commercial applicators. We used to do it but the new applicator rigs are way more precise and faster. Not to mention that we don't buy either one in bags any more, thank goodness. There's nothing like having 24 tons of fertilizer show up and know that before it's on the field it would be handled by hand at least three times, off the truck and into the barn, out of the barn and on the planter/spreader tender truck, off that truck and into the planter or spreader. It's actually cheaper for us to buy in bulk and pay for spreading than it would be to buy in bags and spread it, not to mention that our backs like it a lot better. . . Same old story I usually have, to soon old, to late getting smarter.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm not sure what the availability is in your area but here it's common to use the co-op and other sources for lime/fertilizer and the spreader to spread it. Granted every spreader I have ever hooked to from them was complete hunks of junk, it got the job done and like everyone else who hooked to it before me, I was not to concerned about beating the snot out of it. When spreading 5-20 acres it is easier to use their equipment and use a 3 point spreader for the small jobs. We always hired someone to do the spreading for all the crop land, it was cheaper, easier, and got better results.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
537 Posts
I use an old Herd PTO spreader only because it cost me next to nothing from a friend who no longer used it. I always wash it and spray it down with PB Blaster, fluid film or whatever antii-corrossion I have handy. Not quick hitch compatible without the adapter. Pic is of it on the 1025r but also works on the 2038r. I had a tow behind that worked well but was not very manuverable. If I was going to buy one today I would get the Land Pride with the poly Hopper and all stainless steel metal parts that is adjustable for full broadcast or adjusting for narrow or one side only when spreading next to a building or when next to an area you don't want seeded or fertilized.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts