Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a scoop or clamshell bucket or some other device that could be suspended from a boom pole and open when there is no tension on its chain/cable, and cinch closed when tension is applied (via fel lifting)

Trying to devise a seaweed scoop to pick up seaweed off the end of my sea wall / water is a couple feet below the wall

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Does anyone know of a scoop or clamshell bucket or some other device that could be suspended from a boom pole and open when there is no tension on its chain/cable, and cinch closed when tension is applied (via fel lifting)

Trying to devise a seaweed scoop to pick up seaweed off the end of my sea wall / water is a couple feet below the wall
I do not know of any. But there is enough talent on this forum I am sure someone may be able to make something up.

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sounds like you need something like a dredge shovel you see on barges. I've never seen anything like that for a boom pole. Also I think your going to have to do some calculations on weight loads. If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the scoop to close up as you lift it out of the water, holding the seaweed/debris. But you will also be lifting the weight of the water, which will drain out at some point, but until you reach that point you will be lifting hundreds if not thousands of pounds. What is the weight limit or lift limit of your boom pole & your tractor's 3pt. lift capacity.

Not trying to throw cold water (no pun intended) on your plan, but there may be more to it than just finding a scoop bucket. Very interesting project you have going. Hope you get some good answers to your question.

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
More like this...

dredge_shovel.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
But you will also be lifting the weight of the water, which will drain out at some point, but until you reach that point you will be lifting hundreds if not thousands of pounds. What is the weight limit or lift limit of your boom pole & your tractor's 3pt. lift capacity.
The heaviest boom pole I've ever seen was limited to 2000 lb.

Reactions: CADplans

·
Super Moderator
5,207 Posts

Maybe a hay bale balance grapple would work with a little modification? They work like those little "Claw" game that the kids try to pluck up a stuffed animal with.

Antique Myers Hay Claw Grapple Hook 3 Tine Farm Barn Tool | eBay

If you need an actual scoop you could fashion up some tin to cover the forks...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Maybe a hay bale balance grapple would work with a little modification? They work like those little "Claw" game that the kids try to pluck up a stuffed animal with.

Antique Myers Hay Claw Grapple Hook 3 Tine Farm Barn Tool | eBay

If you need an actual scoop you could fashion up some tin to cover the forks...
You could put some PVC pipe with closed ends on top of each side so it would float and open up. And you could always add to the side with screen or more tines. Neat idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts