Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing Craigslist and came across this JD550 tiller yesterday. Should be a good fit with my 1025r. I was able to get the seller down to $700. For the condition of it and knowing how heavy duty the 550 is, I think I did well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was surfing Craigslist and came across this JD550 tiller yesterday. Should be a good fit with my 1025r. I was able to get the seller down to $700. For the condition of it and knowing how heavy duty the 550 is, I think I did well.
Looks good. How wide is the 550?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 50" working width tiller.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Gardening,,, or landscaping??:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Nice "Steal!" :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Looks pretty good! I looked at a couple used tillers last summer and they looked a lot rougher for similar cash. They weren't Deere units either. We got a new King Kutter XB 54 for my girlfriends 1023. These tractors with a tiller do an amazing job. I made a large riding arena in a section of her lawn and she tilled her giant garden under last fall, cornstalks and everything. Your going to love it when you get done tuning it up. Don't forget to do a deliberate clutch slip and readjust if it has one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will mainly use it for gardening, but there are a couple of area of the yard that need leveling and grading, so this will help immensely to break up the grass to level out the areas.
I borrowed our bee suppliers JD 550 last spring to till the garden and it was wonderful. I hate to borrow more expensive types of equipment like this in case it breaks during my use. Then I am paying for someones else's lack of maintenance to a piece of equipment possibly.

Reactions: Levi

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Before putting it to work check the gearbox and chain case for lube. Make sure you check the chain adjustment at the same time.

Reactions: Levi and 96PSD

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,275 Posts
:congrats: Very nice indeed! :bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts