Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today, while mowing my lawn, Was going up a slight incline, and my Scott's s2554 (Identical to Deere G100 I think) mower deck stopped cutting. I'm confused as to why, but I figure before I go out and start spending a bunch of money on replacement part's I'd ask you guys.

By the way, I'm Manny and I'm new to the forum, Hello!

Anyway here goes my troubleshooting so far.

The PTO does seem to turn the mower deck, just very slowly, and without any real power, even though the engine itself (Kohler Command 25) seems to be running fine, with the throttle in any position.
When any load is applied to the blades, the pto stalls - The engine still runs just fine

I removed the mower deck and engaged the PTO - It spins, but not with the force expected. Normally you can "feel" the PTO engage, but that's not the case anymore.

While I had the deck off, I inspected the belts, the PTO belt is fine, the deck belt is needs replacement soon, but is still serviceable.

I cleaned all of the grass, mud, and gunk out of the top side of the mower deck, and re-greased the bearings.

I cleaned most of the grass out of the underside of the mower deck, and sharpened the blades. I turned the blades manually and ensured everything was moving as expected - the mower deck itself does not appear to be the issue to my untrained eyes.

My next thought was that it could be the seat switch, but usually if the PTO is engaged, and the seat switch is "open" the engine stalls and shuts the entire unit off completely. I wouldn't mind rewiring this to bypass this safety mechanism, but I've never seen a wiring diagram that explains which wires I could short together to defeat this. Perhaps you guys can help.

If I try to drive the tractor backwards, while the PTO is engaged, it still tries to shut down the engine - which again makes me believe this is not a switch issue.

What do you guys think? Is this a case of a bad PTO? If it is, would you recommend a john deere OEM replacement, or are the third party PTO's which claim to be better than the original worth giving a shot?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
So today, while mowing my lawn, Was going up a slight incline, and my Scott's s2554 (Identical to Deere G100 I think) mower deck stopped cutting. I'm confused as to why, but I figure before I go out and start spending a bunch of money on replacement part's I'd ask you guys.

By the way, I'm Manny and I'm new to the forum, Hello!

Anyway here goes my troubleshooting so far.

The PTO does seem to turn the mower deck, just very slowly, and without any real power, even though the engine itself (Kohler Command 25) seems to be running fine, with the throttle in any position.
When any load is applied to the blades, the pto stalls - The engine still runs just fine

I removed the mower deck and engaged the PTO - It spins, but not with the force expected. Normally you can "feel" the PTO engage, but that's not the case anymore.

While I had the deck off, I inspected the belts, the PTO belt is fine, the deck belt is needs replacement soon, but is still serviceable.

I cleaned all of the grass, mud, and gunk out of the top side of the mower deck, and re-greased the bearings.

I cleaned most of the grass out of the underside of the mower deck, and sharpened the blades. I turned the blades manually and ensured everything was moving as expected - the mower deck itself does not appear to be the issue to my untrained eyes.

My next thought was that it could be the seat switch, but usually if the PTO is engaged, and the seat switch is "open" the engine stalls and shuts the entire unit off completely. I wouldn't mind rewiring this to bypass this safety mechanism, but I've never seen a wiring diagram that explains which wires I could short together to defeat this. Perhaps you guys can help.

If I try to drive the tractor backwards, while the PTO is engaged, it still tries to shut down the engine - which again makes me believe this is not a switch issue.

What do you guys think? Is this a case of a bad PTO? If it is, would you recommend a john deere OEM replacement, or are the third party PTO's which claim to be better than the original worth giving a shot?
It sounds like everything is working like it should. Just the electric clutch for the PTO is slipping. So I don't think any safety switches are your problem. (Like the seat switch) You need to figure out what is causing the clutch to slip. Some possibilities are.
The charging system and or battery are failing. The low voltage is not enough to engage the magnetic clutch.
The clutch is worn or shot. Has to much of a gap to apply correctly.
The magnetic coil has failed and is not applying the metal clutch.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts