Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

This is my first full winter with my 47" snowblower on an x739.

I usually use the Quick Hitch plow, but I also have a snowblower. I'd like the blower to scrape the asphalt a bit better similar to what I can do with the plow. I know I can raise the skid shoes - but will that mess up the scraper blade? Do you guys run the scraper blade right on the asphalt? See attached for some pics I did today.

Thank you for your advice

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The scraper blade is considered a wear item and is reversable to get double the life. We used the 47" blower on a 425 at the Hospital I worked at and we raised the shoes to keep the blower scrapig the sidewalks as we need to keep the sidewalks clean so the blade took the wear on the cement. We didn't replace the blade before the blower was junk from the salt we spread on the walks so I would not worry about it, we did reverse the blade. I am still on the blade that came on my original 47" blower I bought in 1995. When I replaced that blower in 2009 I moved the old blade to the new blower to keep the new blade as a spare. I am blowing a gravel drive and when i have built up an Ice Pack, I remove the shoes from my blower for the rest of the season.

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
There's no question that having the scraper blade touch the road surface will subject it to wear. It can be flipped around but it will still wear rather quickly depending on the texture of your driveway.

The recommended adjustment for the blower scraper blade is to use a yard stick as a guide. Place a yard stick under the scraper and then adjust the shoes to touch. That 3/16-inch of remaining snow will typically melt away very quickly and it will extend the life of your scraper blade significantly.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
282 Posts
I struggle with the same problem. Your drive looks a lot cleaner then what I can do. My blower sometimes can leave about of inch of snow behind that I have to shovel which is a waste of time when the blower should clean off. I tried sandwiching a piece of rubber between two scraper bars thinking the rubber belting would clean the surface better which it worked terrible for me. Snow gets stuck and frozen under the belting pushing the belt up. Just took the belting off tonight. I went back to setting the blower all the way down flat on the scraper bar and setting the skid shoes with a 1/8” of clearance under them. Seems to work the best at cleaning the snow from the driveways and sidewalks. I’m not worried about wearing the scraper bar out which is a wear item to begin with. I recommend running the Heavy Hitch scraper bar which is made from AR500 steel which stands up to wear whole lot better. Got snow to clean up tomorrow morning before work see what the results will be.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use the blower on the 2305 as a box blade for small amounts of snow removal frequently. Push into a row or side of the plowed area and clean up with blower on.

As far as wear, it is a wear item and I want the pavement clean. However be very careful regarding cracks as you can break things easily if you hit a concrete heave.

Heavy Hitch has a replacement edge that I just installed a year ago, slightly more expensive but made of AR400 just like real plow blades are made. The also make edges for JD plows too.
From Heavy Hitch:
HSB: 2 Stage Snow Blower Blade / Wear Bar / Scraper / Cutting Edge for John Deere - Heavy Hitch - Compact Tractor Attachments

Heavy Hitch snow blade replaces John Deere factory part #M135649 for 47″ models or M161359 for 54″ models. We made it from super wear resistant AR400 steel for maximum life and it includes stainless steel fasteners for easy installation on your compact or sub-compact tractor. The holes have been laser cut for a perfect fit. Our Heavy Hitch snow plow blade for John Deere will last four to six times longer than the factory wear bar.

Comes standard with a super durable Black environmentally friendly powder coat.

HSB47 – 47″
HSB54 – 54″

·
Premium Member
17,246 Posts
I use the blower on the 2305 as a box blade for small amounts of snow removal frequently. Push into a row or side of the plowed area and clean up with blower on.

As far as wear, it is a wear item and I want the pavement clean. However be very careful regarding cracks as you can break things easily if you hit a concrete heave.

Heavy Hitch has a replacement edge that I just installed a year ago, slightly more expensive but made of AR400 just like real plow blades are made. The also make edges for JD plows too.
From Heavy Hitch:
HSB: 2 Stage Snow Blower Blade / Wear Bar / Scraper / Cutting Edge for John Deere - Heavy Hitch - Compact Tractor Attachments
The OEM scraper for the 47-inch blower is $87 and the Heavy Hitch is $93. Given that the AR400 material will last a lot longer then the original, the HH replacement is a good value.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The OEM scraper for the 47-inch blower is $87 and the Heavy Hitch is $93. Given that the AR400 material will last a lot longer then the original, the HH replacement is a good value.

HH also includes stainless steel bolts too but if I remember there was a reason I didn't use them. Can't remember why? CRS!!!

I have not got down to examine how it is wearing yet, I'll have to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.