Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing these screw type log splitters. I am wondering if they make them for our PTO's on these little tractors. Seems like they are much more efficient and speedy. Not to mention, looks a whole lot simpler and less expensive.

Let me know if you have a lead. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had one for years don't use it that much it's powered by an old briggs 8 hp maybe not sure they are not fast but on a pto might spin faster if you cut a lot of wood you would be a lot better off with a hydraulic splitter

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I've seen a couple on Craigslist in my area, but never new. There are quite a few videos on YouTube so they have to be somewhere.
Do you want a turn key unit or do you want the Screw to use on something you have? The Atom Splitter, 300 Ton Splitter
A quick Google search didn't turn up much.

Funny that you asked this question because it was just yesterday this video popped up on my Facebook wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVgUJgYPTRI LS Power! :lol:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've seen a couple on Craigslist in my area, but never new. There are quite a few videos on YouTube so they have to be somewhere.
Do you want a turn key unit or do you want the Screw to use on something you have? The Atom Splitter, 300 Ton Splitter

Funny that you asked this question because it was just yesterday this video popped up on my Facebook wall.

Lol
Never saw that before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That is the same video that had me thinking.

They look dangerous as hell, upon second look. :usa

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure how well either the atom or the one one the car would work the one I have uses the tung to keep the logs from just spinning like the Kubota one has

The 3 point without down pressure unless you had something to wedge the log against I don't think it would split

The car on the other hand has its own weight to push against however what happened when you put a hard to split log on it and it turns into a lop sided wheel

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
My neighbor has had one for the last 20 yrs and have( No down pressure_) Works great ...He idles his tractor and no problems.
Much cheaper and faster than a hyd splitter..

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
740 Posts
I run an old "bark buster" off the PTO on my Model M. It is so much quicker and more fuel efficient than a hydraulic splitter with the benefit of not having another engine to take care of. I really like it and it was cheap compared to a hydraulic splitter or spending all day swinging a maul. However, it is a very dangerous tool and if you are not used to old equipment without any safety devices whatsoever I would steer clear. Like three-wheelers, they stopped selling them for a reason. That being said, I like my three wheeler too!:lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too have a "bark buster" screw type splitter that I use on a 2320.
A couple of rules for these:
#1 Never split alone
#2 Always keep your head in the game and pay attention
#3 Don't wear loose fitting clothes or gloves
#4 Never split hackberry elm :lol: (must be the most stringy wood on the planet and you"ll
remember all those cuss words you used to say when you were young)
Overall, if you remember the dangers, they work very well. I don't think anybody sells new ones anymore
so you'll have to keep checking craigslist or E-bay and one will pop up somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
You wanna buy one new? Oh yeah, they still sell 'em!

The Stickler

Reactions: Levi and blue87fj60
1 - 14 of 14 Posts