Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year and a half covering my new 1026R SCUT:greentractorride: with canvas tarps, and not able to build a machine shed/business building, I picked-up a 10' x 20' King Canopy. I scurried to put the thing up in December between rain/wind storms in the Pacific NW. Made it in time and I'm quite please with the results so far.:thumbup1gif:

I haven't fasten it to the ground yet, want to square it up in the spring. I did secure each of the eight post to a double plate of left over 2x6x12' pressure treat lumber. On top of each plate inside I place 16x 16"x"8x6" concrete blocks weighing 26lbs each. The floor is currently several thickness of 6mil poly over a dirt pad. I tucked the top poly layer inside each of the 10' sides, over the double plate and concrete blocks. This reduces the influx of rain water. I did some audit work for a company just south for years me and they recycle tires to crumb then into horse trailer mats, playground tiles, etc. I'm going to see if I can purchase several scrap mats to improve the floor.

While it's not a stick building I think it will get me to summer when we plan to build a 40' x 40' stick building for my equipment and firearms business.:bye2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Good deal.
Gotta keep your baby out of the elements. :laugh:
I'm gonna build a long woodshed this spring that i can incorporate into an attachment storage facility as well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I did that for a few years when I first got married. Our first house had a one car garage. I used a 10x20 canopy and a 20' eclosed race trailer for storage. Canopy worked well. Had to replace bungy cords every so often and keep snow/ice off roof. I used 6 5gal. buckets full of rocks to hold it down. For the floor, I used plastic deck boards. I got about 4 years of use from it befor a snow storm took it down while we was out of town. Not bad for $200.--

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'll most likely be doing this very same thing when I move. I'l need something temporary until I build the pole barn.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Nice and cozy. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm using a 10x20 tent which is very similar. It is working ok for now. I'm not sure how long it will last.

I used the screw-in anchors provided to tie it to the ground.

The wind whips it around a lot. I'm afraid that a strong gust could rip the cover.

Hopefully, I get a 'real' garage/shed built for it this year.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, the tractor is the least expensive portion of this hobby. I had considered the cost of the attachments, but I didn't really count the cost of a new storage shed when I bought the tractor.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I bought a heavy duty green outside/white inside vinyl round top about 15 years ago. Put it up at my moms to store my land cruiser.
That sucker is still standing tough. The zippers on the door are buggered is all.
I want to bring it to my place but i'm afraid the vinyl might not like being folded up for the move.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
After a year and a half covering my new 1026R SCUT:greentractorride: with canvas tarps, and not able to build a machine shed/business building, I picked-up a 10' x 20' King Canopy. I scurried to put the thing up in December between rain/wind storms in the Pacific NW. Made it in time and I'm quite please with the results so far.:thumbup1gif:

I haven't fasten it to the ground yet, want to square it up in the spring. I did secure each of the eight post to a double plate of left over 2x6x12' pressure treat lumber. On top of each plate inside I place 16x 16"x"8x6" concrete blocks weighing 26lbs each. The floor is currently several thickness of 6mil poly over a dirt pad. I tucked the top poly layer inside each of the 10' sides, over the double plate and concrete blocks. This reduces the influx of rain water. I did some audit work for a company just south for years me and they recycle tires to crumb then into horse trailer mats, playground tiles, etc. I'm going to see if I can purchase several scrap mats to improve the floor.

While it's not a stick building I think it will get me to summer when we plan to build a 40' x 40' stick building for my equipment and firearms business.:bye2:
The old saying "Any port in a storm" comes to mind.

·
Registered
12,034 Posts
I'll most likely be doing this very same thing when I move. I'l need something temporary until I build the pole barn.
For you or your tractor?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow-Up

Keeping the JD :greentractorride:, tiller, box scraper and lawn tractor plus the Troy tiller out of the elements was my primary goal. Keeping it standing in our weather was a very close second.:laugh: The canopy has 'snow-load' cables that run from each side to the ridge pole. You can see them in the last picture. I missed installing the left side so that's my project for the spring when I square things up and fasten it to the ground.:thumbup1gif: I believe it should make this winters weather. Rain with 30-40 mph winds are common off the coast. Snow comes every so often but usually very light. It's hoped that running the lights will raise the inside temp just enough to keep the roof clear as snow comes down and adding a small heater is the backup plan as required.:yahoo:

·
Registered
12,034 Posts
I thought about getting a military surplus general purpose tent, but couldn't find one for cheap enough.

They're also really dark inside, and too heavy to put up alone.
Never saw an Army tent yet, that didn't leak, usually right over my bunk.:laugh:

Reactions: Jim Timber

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
In AIT we had temporary buildings while the barracks were remodeled. Rather than having normal A/C, these had giant wall mounted units and I got stuck on the top bunk right under one of them. Never thought I'd need a wool blanket in Virginia in the summer, but there's no way I'd have gotten to sleep without one in there. :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts