Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent customer had inquired about the dimensions of the 1-series seat springs, it was obvious by his questioning that it was not for a tractor but he bought them after I replied with the details he had requested. Today he sent me this email:

Received the springs, Kenny. Thank you.

I have a roughly 45 year old lounge chair with a spring tilt mechanism. The original spring is pretty much crushed:

It’s a conical compression spring and measures 3” at the big side and about 1” at the small side. I looked everywhere, EVERYWHERE! For a replacement. The problem wasn’t just matching the dimensions (which was trouble enough) but that I didn’t know the spring-related essential details which are necessary, say, when you’re looking to have a spring made. Compression forces and free length and all sorts of parameters.
I threw together a custom job using hardware store springs and a pair of circular metal discs (like a spring sandwich) and it actually worked ok but creaked a lot and didn’t look very clean. I tried a motorcycle solo saddle spring, kind of a grenade shaped thing. It worked ok but didn’t have enough force.
So enter your seat spring. I’m not sure how I even found your site, but, the price was right and it seemed like something which may possibly do the trick. Long story (sorry) short, it’s the best solution thus far. Since it’s larger than the motorcycle spring, I could thread a regular tube-shaped compression spring down the middle of yours to increase the force. It’s working well and I have a spare!

Later tonight I’ll sit down, tilt back, sip a beer, and enjoy my chair again.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I'm guessing your market just opened up in another direction. :good2:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
This should be in the “what’s making you smile today”

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
After 13 hrs on my 1025r My backside would appreciate a “big boy” set of springs. I weigh 250 and slam that seat down every bump I hit. They must have made those springs for leprechauns

1 - 7 of 7 Posts