Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Today i get mad -very cold outside and my seat switch stop my tractor when i switch gear from neutral I cut the 2 wires an loop them together Now works fine Wonder if i should try to fix it or leave it alone:cheers:

Registered
I prefer to have mine operating correctly. Sometimes I need a reminder when I get off the tractor with the engine running and have forgotten to put it in neutral.

Registered
leave it. that switch is a pain in the arse on hills, and will burn up your solenoid.:banghead:

Premium Member

Old Pa-pa
I would jumper it out to get going again, but would fix it as soon as possible ( new switch, wiring or what ever).
I look at it as a good backup if I pull a mental dumbass.

Premium Member
Safety features like the seat switch exist because at some point there was a gruesome accident it could have prevented. Safety systems that are not redundant (like your brain alone) will have a much more significant chance of a failure than a redundant system (like your brain plus the seat switch). When it comes to serious injury or death, I think we want the best odds. Remember, you may not be the one who incurs the injury. I like to think that I will tractor forever. But someday someone will inherit my tractor, either because I must sell it or because I pass away. Will I remember to or be able to fix the defeated safety features as ownership transfers?

Registered
I'd rather it just killed the PTO vs the whole engine.

Premium Member
I'd rather it just killed the PTO vs the whole engine.
Problem is the PTO kill will not stop the implement in time. We had a man who got swept off the seat of his tractor mowing grass. the tractor had a disabled seat switch and he fell between the tractor and the bush hog with the predictable results. The tractor continued across the field and thru the ditch line onto a road where it stopped up against a tree and a motorist then called in when he saw the wrecked tractor and followed the trail back.

Registered
I fixed mine, but I do carry a jumper on the tractor in case it acts up on me only. I have had a few times it acted up. I have seen/heard of too many folks getting killed/injured because of tractors and implements. I was raised on a farm and am too familiar with the hazards that you work around. One less thing you have to worry about if your wife/kids get on the seat to mow or operate the tractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts