Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got to use the blower twice in one week. Second year ownership. Worked like a charm. After ,I sat down to lunch and I was proud that my choice worked so well. Until my wonderful wife pointed out, the cost of the blower, plus the quick hitch, plus the spout actuator divided by 2 = the cost per use. Ah, this new math! I asked her what a clean drive is worth? Then told her it would pay for it self in the long run. She mumbled something about, yes, if I live for the next 400 years.:unknown:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Well finally got to use the blower twice in one week. Second year ownership. Worked like a charm. After ,I sat down to lunch and I was proud that my choice worked so well. Until my wonderful wife pointed out, the cost of the blower, plus the quick hitch, plus the spout actuator divided by 2 = the cost per use. Ah, this new math! I asked her what a clean drive is worth? Then told her it would pay for it self in the long run. She mumbled something about, yes, if I live for the next 400 years.:unknown:
lol
I always quote my favorite Al Bundy line in that situation...
"Women. Can't live with them.........the end.":laugh:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Your wife may have a point. From what I can see in your picture, you probably could have saved a pile (money) with a front snow blade. And you would not have blinding snow blowing in you face either. But this comes from a guy that had a 350 foot driveway that was 12 feet wide. I think pushing & plowing your way through two feet of fresh powder is so much more fun than blowing it. I used my 855 tractor for the job. I don't see much snow anymore. We moved from NY to SC three years ago. A single inch of powder down here is considered a catastrophic event!!!:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,797 Posts
:lol:
Hold your ground Jep, we're behind ya. :thumbup1gif: ..........:hide2:

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
But tell her thanks for taking the picture and that we all here on GTT like pictures. :good2:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Put a shovel in her hand and she if she thinks the price was worth it.:whip:

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
lol
I always quote my favorite Al Bundy line in that situation...
"Women. Can't live with them.........the end.":laugh:
:lol:
Hold your ground Jep, we're behind ya. :thumbup1gif: ..........:hide2:
But tell her thanks for taking the picture and that we all here on GTT like pictures. :good2:
Jep,
Just think, every time you use it, the cost per usage goes down. :thumbup1gif:

Kind of like women's shoes. That's if they only have one pair. :laugh:
Put a shovel in her hand and she if she thinks the price was worth it.:whip:
You guys are tough...but honest. That's why I like all of you.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Newer Math

When cornered into one of these "cost of ownership" discussions, I always remind my adversary (spouse) that the annual cost is only what the equipment depreciates each year. Then I use my first tractor as an example: Bought it for $1800, sold it for $900 after 29 years of use. Cost is $28 per year. If we're being picky, you have to include fuel, oil, filters, and any repairs in the costs. Tractors hold their value. Depreciation the first couple of years on a new one is a little steeper, but the later years are better. [Hint: Don't use your new tractor as the example.]

Another perspective: Some of my retirement savings is in my IRA's, some in my house, and some in my tractor. All will be liquidated at some point to address my changing needs in old age. The tractor's ROI might not be as high as the others in the long run, but some years it has actually outperformed the others. And the tractor is much more fun than the house or an IRA.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That's because they are not the ones out in the cold working a shovel.

Buy a hard cab with a heater and really give her something to complain about. Hay you might be able too get a soft cab out of it. LOL

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

Buy a hard cab with a heater and really give her something to complain about. Hay you might be able too get a soft cab out of it. LOL
The first year I was in my new home, my then wife would not cocent to buying a tractor blower. Then we had a good snowstorm while I was away. The walk behind was a lot harder to use than she thought. All of a sudden a revolution came over her and she thought the new tractor with a blower was the perfect idea.
Enough said!!!
You guys are tough...but honest. That's why I like all of you.
When cornered into one of these "cost of ownership" discussions, I always remind my adversary (spouse) that the annual cost is only what the equipment depreciates each year. Then I use my first tractor as an example: Bought it for $1800, sold it for $900 after 29 years of use. Cost is $28 per year. If we're being picky, you have to include fuel, oil, filters, and any repairs in the costs. Tractors hold their value. Depreciation the first couple of years on a new one is a little steeper, but the later years are better. [Hint: Don't use your new tractor as the example.]

Another perspective: Some of my retirement savings is in my IRA's, some in my house, and some in my tractor. All will be liquidated at some point to address my changing needs in old age. The tractor's ROI might not be as high as the others in the long run, but some years it has actually outperformed the others. And the tractor is much more fun than the house or an IRA.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,797 Posts

Tractors/Outside Work keep ya young.
My last TLB cost me $200 per year to own. 20 years.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I don't go along with this kind of math but if it has been brought up there is another way to look at it. You could be laid up because you do the heavy manual work and she has to take care of you and do everything that she wanted and thinks is your job to do. That math doesn't work then. 'Course she could just divorce you and find a younger man she can tell what to do. My wife used to tell me how to drive and I would ask her if she wants to drive. Answer "no". I pulled over one time and started to get out and she wanted to know what I was doing. Told her if she wants to drive she should be behind the wheel. She doesn't drive anymore sitting in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1. Consider opportunity cost - All the extra time you'd spend doing work without your tractor is quantifiable in the other things you can accomplish in that time. I tell my wife, $50/hr, minimum.

2. Reducing future medical costs by saving wear and tear on your body.

3. Buying these fun machines drives the economy and employees people, Americans especially!

4. Life is too short to not have cool toys.

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Your only going to go around this life one time, make it the best you can. Or trade up to a 2 series then see what she thinks!:mocking:

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
1. Consider opportunity cost - All the extra time you'd spend doing work without your tractor is quantifiable in the other things you can accomplish in that time. I tell my wife, $50/hr, minimum.

2. Reducing future medical costs by saving wear and tear on your body.

3. Buying these fun machines drives the economy and employees people, Americans especially!

4. Life is too short to not have cool toys.

:greentractorride:
I would like to add to your list;

5. The less time you see me in the house the less you will complain and look how much better you will feel.

6. The more time that I have seat time the less you will complain about the cost of that JD and look how much better you will feel.

7. The more yard work I do with my tractor keeps you from complaining about doing it yourself and how much better you feel.

8. Think of all the rest you get when I'm on my tractor and look how much better you feel.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts

Nope, put your foot down, a hard cab with heater it will be.... Don't settle for anything else and never settle anyway... :bigthumb: :hide:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Perhaps you should share this with your wife, and then ask her about that "cost per use" thing again.....

CBS 58 - Man Dies after Shoveling Snow
This just reminded me of last year when we got that 32" snow fall. The girlfriend and I were looking out our bedroom window. We were watching the neighbor shovel snow out from in front of his truck. Next thing we know he falls flat on his back. After a couple of minutes watching him roll around like a turtle we said I don't think he's gonna get up. We called his girlfriend that lucky for him was him at the time. She ran outside to check on him. She couldn't get him up either. About 10 minutes later the ambulance showed up to scrape him off the road. He was laid up for quite a while. At least he got out of anymore shoveling for the season. If we were not home to see this happen the outcome could have been different.
Snow can definitely hurt if not kill you.

In case you are wondering I didn't go out to help. With my back I probably would have ended up laying right next to him. However the next day (after getting my Wrangler plow from work) I helped plow out there parking spots.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Really?

Really, how can you put a price on that smile. :thumbup1gif:

Smile.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts