Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm not stating opinions. I'm stating facts.

In the amazon link you provided, the very first reviews listed on that page are all from people who analyzed the network traffic coming from the cameras. All reporting the same thing: UDP payloads going to China and other countries, not just to AWS as advertised. Did you not scroll down to the reviews before purchasing the camera because it is huge and obvious right there? Further, you can look at the reddit page for Wyze cameras and the Wyze company's own forums which all have many people reporting the same thing after analyzing network traffic. The camera will even change it's own MAC address to acquire a new unrestricted DHCP address if it needs to. This is also where where Wyze representatives officially confirm their devices are sending data to a multitude of different countries because it was less expensive than building their own secure servers. They've been saying they plan to change that for over a year and have no done so. Oh, and they also continue to record and stream this data even when you turn the camera off through the app!

This kind of thing is why it's critically important to do your homework on products like this. And it's important to not ignore information you don't like because the price is better. A well made device from a reputable manufacturer with testing and reviews indicating it isn't a gaping security hole does not cost $25. Because it's not possible to develop, produce, and operate the product and associated services for that price without sacrifice. That sacrifice is your family's personal privacy.
Customer reviews are largely a waste of time. They are almost always from people that are expressing how they FEEL about something as opposed to people expressing factual information.

If you had researched these in detail, you would understand that the activity to the "foreign networks" is for DNS and UPNP traffic which is all related to how you reach the camera from outside of your network. Is has NOTHING to do with any data being sent to those networks other than a "camera available here" sort of query for UPNP.

UPNP itself has some issues, and one needs to be careful with it. However, the cameras do have a security control on them for authentication. So, again... Cite the facts or back off since nothing you have stated is an actual fact or a link to actual facts.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
None of what I said has anything to do with UPNP. None of the reviews I referenced were people expressing feelings. None of the data and facts provided in those reviews were based on feelings. Network traffic analysis does not analyze the feelings of the user. The other sources of information I listed were not even customer reviews at all. Everything I stated has been confirmed by Wyze own representatives in Wyze own forums and reddit pages. You ignored it all because it wasn't telling you what you wanted to hear. Reject reality and substitute it with your own I guess.

Anyway, you've been warned and that's all I can do. Hopefully other uses reading this thread find these actual facts useful even if you choose not to.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
None of what I said has anything to do with UPNP. None of the reviews I referenced were people expressing feelings. None of the data and facts provided in those reviews were based on feelings. Network traffic analysis does not analyze the feelings of the user. The other sources of information I listed were not even customer reviews at all. Everything I stated has been confirmed by Wyze own representatives in Wyze own forums and reddit pages. You ignored it all because it wasn't telling you what you wanted to hear. Reject reality and substitute it with your own I guess.

Anyway, you've been warned and that's all I can do. Hopefully other uses reading this thread find these actual facts useful even if you choose not to.
You mean like ignoring the fact that Wyze DID respond to valid customer concerns such as what you are referring to and actually made changes to their setup to stop that behavior?

As YOU stated, you have to do the research. That means you have to follow it up and be CURRENT. Everything you are referring to WAS a concern and has been addressed by Wyze. I have done my OWN network analysis on the devices (30 years as a network and security engineer affords me an awful lot of understanding, knowledge, and great tools) and can verify that this has been addressed and they no longer operate in the "concerning way" that they did in the past. And data was never transmitted overseas - it was all part of the way that the cameras are made available via external connectivity (which IS where UPNP comes in).

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
They said they were going to address it. They have not done so and the issue remains. They flat out said that eliminating all that would be too cost prohibitive. Multiple people continue to report traffic flying all over the globe, all of which remains contradictory to their advertising that it only goes to their AWS. No matter how you spin this to fit your unrealistic pricing requirement, the risk remains.

Good luck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts