Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut down 4 poplar trees about 28 inches around and then made fire wood out of them. Had some phone issues so I did not get pics of the cut as expected. But here it is a touch dirty just before i hit it with the air hose and rags. BTW, it looks new again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I cut down 1 poplar trees about .28 inches around and then made fire wood out of them. Had some phone issues so I did not get pics of the cut as expected. But here it is a touch dirty just before i hit it with the air hose and rags. BTW, it looks new again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Fixed

Heck even my muffler is rusty.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
It is evident that you had your saw near where there was some wood cut. Maybe a twig or two...:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: Funny. I. Don't understand why you guys have saws that get so nasty? I ran the saw enough to have to fill the bar oil up and go through a touch more than a tank of fuel. :nunu:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you must soak your saw in water....

:laugh:

Seriously tho....you had me feeling guilty the other day. So...I cleaned up my saw. Its not very old and probably has had maybe 5 tanks of fuel run though it. And I have not abused it and sorta keep it clean. But, the light gray plastic is stained ,I guess from the bar oil,my bar is missing paint too. :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
you must soak your saw in water....

:laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Keeps it hydrated and pliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Brian have you started your saw or are you using it "manually"?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol::fire: I use the saw. I start it, cut trees and sometimes lumber when needed. When I am done, I clean it. I use wd40 to get things clean and I use my air hose to blow out the oil and wood mixture left in the bar area.

I will take a picture of a pile of wood I cut. About half of its left as we had a nice fire last night and dead poplar burns fast.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I will take a picture of a pile of wood I cut. About half of its left as we had a nice fire last night and dead poplar burns fast.
Stopped by and snapped a picture of your big wood pile Brian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
:lol: Funny. I. Don't understand why you guys have saws that get so nasty? I ran the saw enough to have to fill the bar oil up and go through a touch more than a tank of fuel. :nunu:
My Stihl 041 Farm Boss is NOT nasty. It's just almost broke-in. :yahoo:

Bought this saw on November 21, 1979 . . . about 32 years ago. Is still reliable and most often starts on the second pull. After three pulls, I coax it with a squirt of ether. Has always worked, no matter how long the saw has been sitting.

stihl saw 1.jpg

When I bought this saw back in '79, Stihl had just introduced their anti-vibration system with rubber grommets that insulated the vibration from your hands. As I recall, the AV saw was $15 higher than the standard 041 Farm Boss so I opted not to pay the additional charge.

stihl saw 2.jpg

Cut a lot of wood with this old saw. I can recall one fall/winter where we made 17 trips to High Knob in Virginia to cut firewood. When that area was cut out, I started buying an 18 wheeler load each year of timber destined for Meade Paper Co. Had it dumped in the field behind the house and went to work on it with the Farm Boss. Rented a splitter some years . . . borrowed one other years . . . we went ten consecutive years burning wood in a buck stove. Seldom had to turn on the ceiling heat. Did install a vent between the den where the stove was located and the hallway upstair to help distribute the heat.

stihl saw 3.jpg

After ten years or so, Mary Anne got tired of the added housekeeping required to keep pace with the wood stove. Between the dust and ash disposal, it was quite a job.

stihl saw 4.jpg

We finally got smart and installed a Trane heat pump. The Buck stove fireplace insert is still there, but only for emergency use and we don't even keep a woodpile around anymore.

stihl saw 5.jpg

Reliable as the old Farm Boss is, it has now been more or less demoted to handyman and/or clean up duty. We have a wooded area in a hollow behind the house that is contnually encroaching on the mowed field. The Farm Boss is often called on to keep the wooded area under control. Hopefully it will continue to do that for a few more years! :bye:

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Nice pictures Ralph!

See Brian, that's what a saw looks like after it's been used. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a MS361,MS290 FARM BOSS, and a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I am picky about my saws. I clean them up and shine them with WD-40 when done. I would love to have the chromed Stihl saw in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts