Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've spent the last few months considering the purchase of a JD Tractor and have pretty much selected a 4052R. I've been talking and Emailing two different JD Dealers and cost wise they are pretty close with their quotes. So I was wondering what criteria did you use when selecting your JD Dealer? I've never dealt with either dealer before so as far as that goes it's a wash. The only real difference is one dealer will order direct from the factory involving a waiting period (that doesn't bother me) while the other dealer has one sitting on a lot in another state that he will transfer over to his location for me.

Just wondering how you might proceed if you were in my shoes?

FredSG

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Is one dealer closer to you than the other?

If neither dealer has a publicly known word of mouth reputation (good or bad) then I would visit each and just have a look around. A lot of dealers will be willing to give you a walk-around if you are thinking of making a purchase from them.

• How friendly do they seem overall?
  • Which dealer seems to cater more to compact tractor customers opposed to large Ag customers?
  • Is one dealer larger than the other? Larger can mean more locations and better access to parts and implements.
  • Which has a nicer parts department?
  • Which has a cleaner and more fully equipped service department?
I'm sure there may be other things to consider.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fred,

I'm in a bit of reverse situation now as my dealer just gave up his franchise here in Savannah, GA. So I need to use another dealer that has about 15 other stores, Not too happy about that, but what am I to do.

Now to your situation and how I handled my purchase. I ordered it. That way I got exactly what I wanted and knew it hadn't been sitting around for a year in the sun, snow and or rain. Advantages and disadvantages to each. With the "dealer trade" you can have your tractor in a couple days or weeks. If you order it, you could wait 6-8 weeks, but you will have a brand spanking new, hardly anyone touched it, new tractor smell, tractor. You will also get "exactly" the options you want. That was important to me, as I ordered the cab as well. Plus my dealer told me that the people that do have cabbed units don't like to give them up because they like to keep them in their stock in case someone wants one.

But I guess it comes down to their service department, parts department and how they have treated you thus far. They going to be around in 10 years. How far are the away from you if you do need filters or parts?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I didn't make a choice between Deere dealers, I made a choice between Deere and everyone else. The Deere dealership is 5 miles from my house, everyone else is 50+ miles from my house. I did visit the dealerships in person, talk to sales people, observe their parts counters in action, look at their clientele based off of what they had on the yard. Deere, Kubota and New Holland all were professional, well organized, clean, plenty of stock and all were mostly focused on agriculture. Being most things were similar I chose Deere mostly because they were close.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A vs. B

Don't know where you live...but if it is a choice between Ag-Pro and somebody else, pick sombody else.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Depending upon the specific model your are seeking, we have seen 6 to 8 weeks turn into 6 to 8 months. Ask GTT member Old Cajun about this.......

Personally, I would visit the dealers and talk to them. Meet the sales people in person, check out the store, talk to the service manager, find out how your tractor's services will be met. Take a look at the stores overall, get an impression for how the business is managed. Are they both clean and organized (very likely)? Does one of the dealers handle other brands that you either want or need or perhaps already own?

If both dealers seem much the same, then it's a matter of the actual time to get the machine. If you have an immediate need, that being within the next 2 to 3 months, perhaps getting a tractor which is in inventory isn't that big of a deal to you. To some, its crucial to get a brand new off the truck tractor. To others, it could be the tractor is a month or two old. Ask the build date on the existing machine and make sure its the latest model, etc. If not, perhaps the deal they offer could make it worthwhile to you. Some customers are very concerned about this, others are not, only you know if it's important to you.

I would think that if you visited both dealers, one would be your preference for some reason, whether it's personalities or just easier to get to from your house. If you have two really good dealers from which to choose, consider yourself lucky as that's not always the case.

More and more dealers are combining into multiple store locations. The dealer I deal with went from being a small local dealer that was just a "residential dealer" for only home owner equipment and tractor's smaller than 35hp to being one of a 15 store group. Actually, the dealer now has much more inventory, significantly more staff members and overall it's been a wonderful improvement for me. So, dealers merging and changes taking place can often improve the customer experience, if the customers just give the new dealers a chance.

Visit them both and meet with them and I would be very surprised if one isn't preferred over the other for reasons which matter to you. Don't be surprised if the two stores aren't under one ownership umbrella organization in the future. That's a common trend as well. Good luck with your purchase transaction.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Since you say the wait is not a problem I would definitely go for ordering the tractor with everything you want from the factory so that nothing has to be dealer-installed. That way you can get exactly what you want, plus getting one that hasn't set out in the weather for who knows how long, and minimize the possibility of the dealer screwing something up. Every single problem I have had with mine has been due to the dealer. I don't trust them to install or work on anything anymore.

In my case the dealers here are all primarily big-AG dealers and have no one really knowledgeable about the small tractors. Also doesn't much matter about which dealer you choose here, every one within driving distance belongs to the same chain. :banghead:

Good luck with whichever you decide.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Hi,

I've spent the last few months considering the purchase of a JD Tractor and have pretty much selected a 4052R. I've been talking and Emailing two different JD Dealers and cost wise they are pretty close with their quotes. So I was wondering what criteria did you use when selecting your JD Dealer? I've never dealt with either dealer before so as far as that goes it's a wash. The only real difference is one dealer will order direct from the factory involving a waiting period (that doesn't bother me) while the other dealer has one sitting on a lot in another state that he will transfer over to his location for me.

Just wondering how you might proceed if you were in my shoes?

FredSG
Everything SulleyBear has written is true. If the tractor sitting in another state already has the options you want, go for it. I know for a fact it's better to have a loader from the factory(cheaper by a good bit)as opposed to dealer install. If all things are equal after visiting both dealers, if they are still a wash, I'd go with the bigger dealer as they have more "Suck" with the factory when they need stuff to happen.

You could also invite the owners of both dealers to lunch and right in the middle of it ask them why you should buy from them. You will learn a lot in the first 2 minutes.

Cheers & Good Luck :yahoo:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fred,

I'm in a bit of reverse situation now as my dealer just gave up his franchise here in Savannah, GA. So I need to use another dealer that has about 15 other stores, Not too happy about that, but what am I to do.

But I guess it comes down to their service department, parts department and how they have treated you thus far. They going to be around in 10 years. How far are the away from you if you do need filters or parts?

Jeff
Jeff,

I have a pretty good idea which dealer you are looking to switch to by your description (I’m guessing Blanchard). I bought my tractor from their dealership in Waynesboro and I was treated very well not only with the purchase, but on a repair as well. I had only used the tractor a few hours and a warning light came up. I called them and they said to bring it back. They checked it and found that it was a sensor that they had replaced within the past year for the previous owner and it was covered under warranty. There is no way I would have known this if they hadn’t told me and could have easily charged me. I will do all of my business with them after this. My buddy took his newly acquired used 5001 in for some TLC, and they did him right too. I can’t say enough about them. I hope this helps your decision.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My selection criteria is pretty simple. I go to the closest one first. If they treat me right and if I need service, the service guys seem good, then I stay with that dealer. I am fortunate in that my dealer is about 8 miles from the house and have not had any issues in the three years I have used them. When I lived in KY and then TX it was about 45-60 minutes to get them. My neighbor didn't have a good experience with the sales guy at the dealer I use so now he has an orange tractor because the next JD dealer was too far away. My takeaway from that is don't rely on someone else's experience to make a decision on a dealer, go find out for yourself how they are. I feel bad I recommended the dealer to him now and based on his story I can understand why he went to the new Orange dealer.

Don't ever think you are going to get a huge price break on tractors/parts from the dealer, you won't, so don't use that as a selection criteria. You may on service depending on the situation. You need to decide if their customer service is what you expect at the sales, parts, and service counters.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would look for a dealer that will pickup and return your tractor to you for repair/service.
If neither dealership offers this service that could be a bargaining chip, make sure you get that in writing.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
First world problems - wish I had choices like this....

My nearest dealer is a 3 hour round trip. Next nearest one is in the opposite direction and a 4 hour round trip.

Back when I had a local dealer he treated me like gold. There never was a question about seeking out another one.

Anyway - Service after the sale is paramount in my opinion. That includes the service and parts departments.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't know where you live...but if it is a choice between Ag-Pro and somebody else, pick sombody else.
What is so horrible about Ag-Pro?

They just took over 2 well established and generally good chain of franchises here in Ohio recently - picking up a few dozen store fronts in the process.

Not that I am a fan of dealing with chains in general - but my understanding is they are keeping all the former employees as part of the purchases. As nice as it is to deal with a single location with 2 people you have a relationship with and know your preferences and equipment, everyone is feeling the pressure to merge operations these days.

Change is part of the game - its not just Deere dealers being effected either, rather Deere encouraging change as they can see what the competition has in the works and trying to ensure they maintain the same coverage. Funny how I looked the other day and there is no longer a Massey-Ferguson dealer within 150 miles of me - 20 years ago I think there were 3. At the same time there were probably 5 tractor companies that the average buyer knew of - now feels like 15.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are out west.... Pape has great service, parts, and workshop and is a large chain... at least where I am.:coffee::hi: AND... if you don't have a trailer (I do) they will pick up and return for service. :trucker:
The nearest one to me, has me driving right by an "independent" to get there.:shift: That "independent" treated me like I should have been glad he would even talk to me. Only game in town... he was right about that... but I didn't have to do business in THAT town.:soapbox: I'd rather drive the extra 12 miles.:pickup: He lost $35k in that arrogant stupidity. Must be nice to be rich and throw business away.:gizmo:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts