Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in possibly buying one of those Tablet devices. What I want it for is so I can sit on my porch & simply surf the web from my porch or send & answer emails. I've been using my wife's laptop for this but would like something less bulky, lighter & easier to use.

I went into Best Buys but found very little in the price range I'm willing to pay. I don't want to spend more than $100. I'm thinking Walmart or Target might have something. Can someone suggest a brand & what I should be looking for. I want to keep it simple. I have Verizon Wi-Fi service here at my house that I will hook it up to. Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have had an ipad mini for a few years but that is out of your price range. I did just get my boys a pair of Fire 7 tablets so they can do their summer reading. I have not spent any time with it as far as web surfing but it is integrated into the Android/Amazon world so I have hopes it performs well for this as well as email. they were only $65 for a 16g version.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Might look into the Amazon Fire tablets.
We have a smaller one and it works fine.

Kind of depends on the size you are after too, as I believe Amazon only has the 8" (Ipad Mini size).

I personally like a bigger screen, but for the price, its impossible to beat.

Im not familiar with anything other than that tablet and the Ipad mini and standard. I prefer the size of the standard, but ether works fine for email, surfing here and there when Im otherwise not at a computer. Sure beats the heck out of trying to do it on my phone.

I cant recall the name of it right now, but there is a big website dedicated to selling used mobile devices. Might look at a used one too, and get a bit better tablet for the money you want to spend.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A 7" kindle fire would be great for you. I have a 3rd gen, so a little older, but the email and web browsing is very intuitive.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Might look into the Amazon Fire tablets.
We have a smaller one and it works fine.

Kind of depends on the size you are after too, as I believe Amazon only has the 8" (Ipad Mini size).

I personally like a bigger screen, but for the price, its impossible to beat.

Im not familiar with anything other than that tablet and the Ipad mini and standard. I prefer the size of the standard, but ether works fine for email, surfing here and there when Im otherwise not at a computer. Sure beats the heck out of trying to do it on my phone.

I cant recall the name of it right now, but there is a big website dedicated to selling used mobile devices. Might look at a used one too, and get a bit better tablet for the money you want to spend.
What other devices do you own, use, and like? Yes, the Apple iPad is going to be more than your stated budget. But, if you have an iPhone, the integration of the two is excellent and you don't have to learn a new operating system. You can also find deals on used Apple equipment and the devices reset to factory very easily. You can buy them online, but you need to know a little bit about how to buy them (what questions to ask, how to verify them). Buying them from a retailer (like Best Buy) as open box is fairly safe as well.

While I've read decent things about the Fire Tablets, I've also read a lot of stuff that seems to imply that you need to be careful what one you buy because they are not all capable of the same things.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ipad MINI is hard to beat. I have over 100 deployed in my company with my field service techs and they abuse the heck out of them. They are durable and are extremely easy to use. If all you want to do is surf the web then buy a certified refurnished one off Amazon with 16GB for $110. If you want to store pics and content on it then you can get a new 128GB gen 4 for around $350. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
That is exactly why I use my tablet (iPad 2017) way much more than my PC nowadays. I have a leather cover that also acts as a stand which sits perfectly on my lap in my recliner. Once my PC bites the dust I doubt I will replace it now.

For your budget the Amazon Fire tablets are a no brainer.

A WiFi only iPad is around $330 right now but will likely be $299 in the fall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got an older version of the Amazon Fire Tablet with an 8" screen , and it can do a lot of things including taking pictures. But the range you want to use it at is gonna depend on how far your router will let you go before you lose signal .

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
iPhone and iPad is what I use. They mirror each other so makes it nice, would be lost without it. Hardly use my laptop for the last three years+. Just got my Mom and iPad at bestbuy for $259, the air which she can use in WiFi or cellar. She winters in Arizona so now we can FaceTime, send her pictures of grandkids etc.. Finally talked her into it and she loves it. Simple to use. She had a laptop years ago and got frustrated with it and threw it in garbage:lolol:.
Anymore wife and I use iPads for everything.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Like others said. I’d seriously look into getting the iPad. You will never go back to a computer again.

How much internet do you actually use with that hotspot and what for? You may possibly be able to get an iPad with cellular through Verizon with no interest and use the iPad anywhere you go. Even if it’s a hammock in the woods. Then when you are at the house you can use the iPad as a hotspot. And stop paying for the hotspot in the house. If you take the iPad on vacation you can hotspot internet for everyone.

Just a thought

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
If you have not yet tried "typing" and actually writing on a "Pad", you should before buying one. It's much more of the "Hunt and Peck" typing method than an actual official typing style with your hands positioned like I learned a long time ago. It may not matter to you but I prefer the typing style I have used for 40 years. It's what ever you are used to.

Personally, I like NETBOOK computers, which are mini note book computers. That way, they have a keyboard and "set up" like a regular computer. Just a lot smaller lighter and less expensive. I have always had a couple of them and use them more than a regular computer by far.

Here is one for $119, right in your price range.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/11-6-Chromebook-4GB-Memory-32-Hard-Drive-Bluetooth-4-0-1-0MHD-WebCam-Blue/56123858?athcpid=56123858&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-b00e02d5-fba988bfabeafc7&athena=true

You should check those out as well as tablets. While many people like tablets, some of us hold outs still prefer the small laptops. To each their own. The price is right, for sure......

My wife has an Ipad and likes it, but she surfs on it and doesn't really type much. When she needs to type something like this message, she will go to her regular computer or use my netbook. I know lots of people use Pads, but also there are a lot who use their phones for GTT. Personally, I like the separate full keyboard and everything on one screen. It's more a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you have not yet tried "typing" and actually writing on a "Pad", you should before buying one. It's much more of the "Hunt and Peck" typing method than an actual official typing style with your hands positioned like I learned a long time ago. It may not matter to you but I prefer the typing style I have used for 40 years. It's what ever you are used to.

Personally, I like NETBOOK computers, which are mini note book computers. That way, they have a keyboard and "set up" like a regular computer. Just a lot smaller lighter and less expensive. I have always had a couple of them and use them more than a regular computer by far.

Here is one for $119, right in your price range.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/11-6-Chromebook-4GB-Memory-32-Hard-Drive-Bluetooth-4-0-1-0MHD-WebCam-Blue/56123858?athcpid=56123858&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-b00e02d5-fba988bfabeafc7&athena=true

You should check those out as well as tablets. While many people like tablets, some of us hold outs still prefer the small laptops. To each their own. The price is right, for sure......

My wife has an Ipad and likes it, but she surfs on it and doesn't really type much. When she needs to type something like this message, she will go to her regular computer or use my netbook. I know lots of people use Pads, but also there are a lot who use their phones for GTT. Personally, I like the separate full keyboard and everything on one screen. It's more a matter of personal preference.

That is a good point SB. If you don’t have a problem with a computer just look at a small one. It will be a lot cheaper.

I still prefer my iPad over the computer but that’s just personal preference.
You can always get a Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad. And even a case that makes it like a laptop. I’ve got one around here somewhere. It was given to me to review. I like it.
It will get expensive going the iPad & case route.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
As far as typing in the iPad - there is a learning curve. At one time I could type 60wpm in my younger days on a typewriter. Remember those....??

I’ve been using my iPad almost exclusively for about 3 years now and can type almost as fast on it but with quite a few mistakes. Auto correct helps there.

If I need to type something long however I will go to my PC. I have a huge ergonomic keyboard that I have become accustomed to over the years.

I can’t type on a laptop - keys are much too close together and my big swollen fingers just won’t work.

But for forums like this the iPad keypad works just fine for me.

I guess I go between 2 extremes......

71F4983C-08E1-42B5-AA29-D8F72E59985C.png

F88BEA47-F2A4-4160-95E1-0B193275B34C.jpeg

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I guess I am in the minority, but I am used to that. I had a 10 inch tablet as I thought it might be handy to have. However, I just never used it, so I sold it. I much prefer my 17.3 inch laptop or 23 inch desktop computers. I have two of the 17.3 inch laptops and 2 of the 23 inch desktop computers. Most of my time is on the 17.3 inch laptop which is what I am typing this on. I have a 6.3 inch phone, but it is only to get me by until I can get to my computer. My phone has the capability of just swiping my finger across the letters on the keyboard to make it faster to get the words on the screen or I can use voice command, but I still prefer the computer.

Some references have been made to typing speed. I was able to type nearly 60 words per minute after corrections on a manual typewriter in high school, but in my younger days, I typed at work a lot on the new at the time IBM Selectric typewriters with the little ball that did not have the individual keys to hit against each other and I found that I could type close to 200 WPM which was the limit of that typewriter. I could actually work up a sweat typing!!! Not bad for an old country bumpkin.

Dave

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
As far as typing in the iPad - there is a learning curve. At one time I could type 60wpm in my younger days on a typewriter. Remember those....??

I’ve been using my iPad almost exclusively for about 3 years now and can type almost as fast on it but with quite a few mistakes. Auto correct helps there.

If I need to type something long however I will go to my PC. I have a huge ergonomic keyboard that I have become accustomed to over the years.

I can’t type on a laptop - keys are much too close together and my big swollen fingers just won’t work.

But for forums like this the iPad keypad works just fine for me.

I guess I go between 2 extremes......

View attachment 641256

View attachment 641258
I would have to say that I don't agree with it having a learning curve, really. Touch devices simply do not accept input in forms like typing the same way that a tactile device like a keyboard device. Sure, you can get "better" with practice, but I will still type circles around you with a keyboard device of any type. I've been touch typing for twenty years, and trying to do it with a touch device simply doesn't work correctly. Touch is designed for convenience, not accuracy or speed.

I have an iPad Pro 12.9" tablet with the Apple Keyboard (which doubles as a screen-protecting device when folded as well as a stand). It's the same physical size and weight as my MacBook Air 13", but MUCH better on battery plus accept input from the Apple Pencil (you can do similar with a stylus for rough drawing). So, for me, the iPad is better in many situations than my laptop is. But the laptop still wins when it comes to other features (like supporting a mouse, which the iPad can't do).

The ideal thing to do would be to go to a box store of some sort and experiment with different devices. Try Android tablets, Apple tablets, Windows tablets, Chromebooks, etc. Give them ALL a test drive and see which one seems to be the most comfortable to use overall. For me, the devices are use are all Apple because the sync across them for things like contacts, messaging, and photos is basically seamless. Still, there are times when I will swap over from an iPhone to a Android device and break that sync. That usually frustrates me in about two months and I end up swapping back, though. lol

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I have a little Lenovo "Flex 3". Like the Chromebook that Sully linked to, this is basically a little mini-laptop. I can't type on it as quickly as I can on my regular work laptop, but it's not bad. My Lenovo also runs Windows 10 instead of some flavor of Chrome like the ChromeBook.

I'm not a big Apple guy - Sweetie has an iPhone and an iPad that I have to stumble around on to use. I use Windows all day long, so my Lenovo works well for me to sit in my recliner and read GTT in the evenings.

·
RIP Chris
148 Posts
Interesting thread. Regarding the Net Books, I see some are Android based and some are Windows. (disregard Apple)

My question is, can any of these join a peer to peer network to access drives on other machines? These would all be Windows based. Actually, they are just network attached storage (NAS) drives. I've got a farm of these things and it drives me nuts that I can't get to them from my Android devices.

When I want a stored file, I have to fire up a laptop way over there, get the file, then Bluetooth it over to the Android. Lot of work.

I've tried to come at it from the other direction and looked through the App offerings for Androids but found nothing. Maybe I've missed something? Maybe I just gave somebody a million dollar idea? Go for it.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Interesting thread. Regarding the Net Books, I see some are Android based and some are Windows. (disregard Apple)

My question is, can any of these join a peer to peer network to access drives on other machines? These would all be Windows based. Actually, they are just network attached storage (NAS) drives. I've got a farm of these things and it drives me nuts that I can't get to them from my Android devices.

When I want a stored file, I have to fire up a laptop way over there, get the file, then Bluetooth it over to the Android. Lot of work.

I've tried to come at it from the other direction and looked through the App offerings for Androids but found nothing. Maybe I've missed something? Maybe I just gave somebody a million dollar idea? Go for it.
There are SAMBA file sharing clients for various Android devices as well as other transfer mechanisms that will typically tie in with a NAS type device.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm interested in possibly buying one of those Tablet devices. What I want it for is so I can sit on my porch & simply surf the web from my porch or send & answer emails. I've been using my wife's laptop for this but would like something less bulky, lighter & easier to use.

I went into Best Buys but found very little in the price range I'm willing to pay. I don't want to spend more than $100. I'm thinking Walmart or Target might have something. Can someone suggest a brand & what I should be looking for. I want to keep it simple. I have Verizon Wi-Fi service here at my house that I will hook it up to. Thanks
Ok, I'm going back to my OP above in quotes. I just wanted something to sit on the porch with & surf the web or read my email. That's about it. I'm looking at this Amazon Fire 7 tablet & this other one branded RCA for fifty bucks. Here at the house I have Verizon for my connection & I use windows 10. So what does a DROID use? Windows 10 or what? I'm not a tech guy.

Thanks for all the great reply's, but the replies are way off from what I was asking. I don't want video streaming, movie watching, piles of typing, piles of storage, etc. Just a basic turn it on go to the web, read any mail I got. That's it. Somebody please tell me if this will work at my house. I have Verizon wireless to connect to. That's it. Operating systems-does it matter to me for something I want to sit on the porch with. I do own a desktop & a laptop.Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts