Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, this is my first time posting. I have a couple of questions, the first is easy, a fellow down the road has a 850 in good shape, 1600 hours on it(just used at his cabin up north, sold the cabin) 5' finish mower on the back, 2 wheel drive, he wants $3000 for it, is it worth that or not? The next question is somewhat more difficult, I own a 2003 4310 with a 430 loader, just bought a 3pt. log splitter, hooked it up to the loader connections(first two, yellow and green I believe) I don't want to incur the cost of a "power beyond" block, it seems to work fine, I've split ten fedral cords with it so far. The question is, will this hurt anything? Another question if I could, I have read the manual many times and cannot understand how to use the Dual selective control valve or for that matter what exactly does it do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help in advance.

Larry

·
Administrator
22,927 Posts
:wgtt:

I am on limited access, so my reply may seem brief-I can elaborate more later.

-For values, take a look at machinefinder.com or tractorhouse.com.
-Hooking the splitter up that way is fine, no worries there. There is a 3rd SCV kit available for your machine that you be be interested in as they are getting harder to find.
-The DSVC is nothing more than the valve you use to control the FEL, what the joystick is connected to. It stands for Double/Dual Selective or Service Valve.

·
Administrator
22,927 Posts
FEL=Front End Loader
DSCV=Double/Dual Selective or Service Control Valve
SCV=Selective/Service Control Valve. John Deere's fancy name for a hydraulic valve.

Your loader needs two hydraulic valves to control it, one for the lift/lower function and one for the dumb/curl function. They are connected together via the joystick rather than having two separate levers. That is your DSCV.

3rd SCV: Your tractor actually has three valves or SCV's, (remember two of then are connected to the joystick to operate the loader), but you have no way to control the third one unless you buy the 3rd SCV kit from JD. It adds a lever on the right fender to control this valve, and the hydraulic lines and QD's (quick disconnects) to the rear of the tractor to allow you to control something else-like you splitter, or the angle control on a blade, or a grapple, or a HTL (hydraulic top link) or other things. Since your tractor is getting old, the kits are getting harder to find-they sold for about $300.

Also note the if you "hover" your mouse over most of the acronyms used here on GTT that the meaning will pop up.

Clear as mud now? :laugh:

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Kennyd. It is becoming clearer and clearer by the minute. Do I need the 3rd scv? I have the dual selective control valve and still do not understand it's useages or if I need it at all? Thanks again.

Larry

·
Administrator
22,927 Posts
Do I need the 3rd scv?
Nope, not at all. I was just suggesting that you could use it for your splitter, or something else-and that is becoming harder to get as your tractor gets older.

I have the dual selective control valve and still do not understand it's useages or if I need it at all?

Since you have the FEL (front end loader), then yes you need it. Plus your using 1/2 of it to power your splitter as well.

·
Premium Member
9,963 Posts
If I had that model tractor, I would be looking for the 3rd SCV kit, since it already has the most expensive part, the valve. I can't understand why JD would install the valve, but not the control lever, lines and QCs. :unknown:

·
Administrator
22,927 Posts
Is the 3rd scv the same as the "power beyond kit"? thanks.

Larry
No. two separate things/kits.

The Power Beyond kit does not have or use a valve-the oil flows whenever the tractor is running. It's mainly used for things like logsplitters or backhoes that have a valve on them.

If you provide me with your serial number I can point out the correct kits for you.

Oh, and I am moving this thread to the hydraulics forum since that is what its all about.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.