Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stumbled across this on YouTube, interesting.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Different world

I saw that, looks neat. I guess if you can justify a self propelled mower, a self propelled baler might make sense. That's a whole level of scale in hay production that I don't understand.
It's a different world for me as well but pretty neat to see. I hate the think of the :gizmo: but like you say, if a self propelled mower conditioner is cost justified a self propelled baler probably is as well.

Until I win the lottery our Vermeer 605 C model might have to stick around. After 40 + years, it still bales but dang sure not at 8 miles an hour.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised it's taken this long, the small squares had self-propelled version years ago, I'd guess the big squares will be next. I agree with the :gizmo: these units have to cost, they surely have their market identified. Around here, many farmers are cashing in on the cellulosic ethanol (I know, I know, it's not highly regarded on this site) since the processing facility is about 15 miles away. The stalk balers run like mad right after harvest.

At about 1:16 in, the crazy front wheels are really twisting back and forth. I wonder what that would be like going 30MPH down the road and the wheels went nuts...the clinch factor could be high....

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
I'm surprised it's taken this long, the small squares had self-propelled version years ago, I'd guess the big squares will be next. I agree with the :gizmo: these units have to cost, they surely have their market identified. Around here, many farmers are cashing in on the cellulosic ethanol (I know, I know, it's not highly regarded on this site) since the processing facility is about 15 miles away. The stalk balers run like mad right after harvest.

At about 1:16 in, the crazy front wheels are really twisting back and forth. I wonder what that would be like going 30MPH down the road and the wheels went nuts...the clinch factor could be high....
Yep. I'm betting the front starts getting too light when the bale is nearing completion.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

IDK, i'd compare it to the old versatile swathers, same concept just flipped. Never really even noticed how twitchy the back wheels were on the road, as each of the fronts was driven independently.

I look at it this way. If the only reason you had a tractor was to run the baler, then this could be beneficial.
If you have the tractor anyway, and don't have a separate use for it during baling time, then :dunno:

Guess it's like the MMM vs zero turn/dedicated mower debate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts