Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Self-propelled log splitter concept/future project (maybe)?

I have a Ram Splitter 3 point log splitter hooked to the power beyond on a 3720 currently. The flow is rated at 8.6GPM. The cycle time is OK and splits just about everything I’ve put in it. It seems to me that 43HP to make 8.6GPM isn’t very efficient to run the splitter.

I’m looking at buying an X730 with a 3ph and rear PTO for a tiller (to replace a 318). I could also attach my 3 point log splitter. I was looking at adding a Prince PTO hydraulic pump that requires 18HP for 11.5GPM at 2000PSI. That way I would have a more efficient (than I have now) and self-propelled log splitter. That would free up the 3720 for skidding logs or whatever without havening the splitter in the way.

Anyone using a Prince PTO hydraulic pump?

Anyone using a 3 point log splitter?

If so, what’s your setup?

What log splitter setups are you using?

Pictures appreciated as always.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
:unknown:I have no 3-point wood splitter's. but i do have 2 other pull behind ones. homemade ones-not factory ones.

so i wanta see pics too of urs. 3-point i mean!:munch: post them pics or even better a action packed video:lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ram Splitter pics

I have some pictures of the splitter attached to the tractor somewhere. I'll try and get those pics on here. If I think of it I'll get a vid of it in operation the next time I use it.

Do the same for yours. Any pros and cons to your setup? How many HP? Cycle time acceptable? Flow rate? Cylinder size? Pump/Eng. specs?

I think my cylinder dia. is 4-1/2" with a 24" stroke. I'll have to check the diameter. I'm using all 1/2" hose.

I like my Ram Splitter but I think I would rather have the wedge attached to the ram pushing through the log to the dead stop. That way it doesn't push the split logs off the end. More than half the logs I split need to be split more than once. That requires moving to the end of the splitter, picking up the logs that dropped to the ground, picking them up, and then moving back to place the logs in the splitter again. I think I'll try and reconfigure mine that way sometime and add cradles to the sides to catch the logs. Other than wanting a faster cycle time it works good, although I have nothing to compare it to. This is the only splitter I have ever operated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
That is alot of wood!! I have a Brave 24 ton log splitter. It workes great. Its a pull behind that can be used either horizontal or vertical. I have split up to 55' diameter stumps with it in the vertical position. I had to use the 1020 to push it into the splitter. The vertical position is great to do the first split on these larger pieces.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is alot of wood!! I have a Brave 24 ton log splitter. It workes great. Its a pull behind that can be used either horizontal or vertical. I have split up to 55' diameter stumps with it in the vertical position. I had to use the 1020 to push it into the splitter. The vertical position is great to do the first split on these larger pieces.
Thanks for posting.

I just looked at the Brave 24 ton horz/vert, nice unit. That one moves the wedge instead of the log the way I want mine to work. Do you have a parts list for that splitter? How wide is the part where the log sits and the wedge slides on? The reason I ask is because I might be able to bolt that wedge right onto my machine. Then I would only need to fab up a dead stop (weld a piece of steel to the end of the splitter. I'll look around on the web to see if I can find parts. Do you have any info?

I thought about getting a 3ph splitter that would go vertical before I purchase mine. But, for big diameter log I just lower it to the ground via the 3ph and roll the logs on to it. I have a hydraulic top link to angle the splitter down also. It saves the back. The vertical looks handier though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Project Self-Propelled Log Splitter started...

I’ve started a thread called “Anybody using a PTO pump to run a log splitter?” in the Machine Shed Hydraulics section. I didn’t get any responses. I’m proceeding with my self-propelled log splitter project.

I just got this X730. I’ve started a thread called “My new 34 hour used X730” in the John Deere Tractors Lawn & Garden Tractors section. Here are some pictures of the Prince PTO pump I bought. It is a HC-PTO-2R along with the reservoir fittings etc. I still need hoses, pressure gauge, fittings, fluid, suction strainer, and misc. parts. Most of these parts are on order. Just waiting for them to arrive.

Once it stops raining and ground condition are acceptable I’ll try hooking up my log splitter to the X730 3ph. I’ll get pictures posted once I get that done.

I’ll need to fab brackets to mount the reservoir to the 3ph log splitter over the ram cylinder and move the valve forward a bit.

Still trying to decide how I want to attach the anti-rotate “device” to the pump and tractor. The “device” will be a chain, clevis turn buckle, or fabbed up bracket. I want to be able to slide the pump on and off without tools to attach the anti-rotation “device”.

I’ll post pictures and descriptions as I go. Commentary and pictures welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Will be watching. I have 3 put splitter also that runs of remotes on 4010. Was thinking same thing. A lot of tractor just to split wood. Have lots of other tractors with pto could run it, and then could use on any of them.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
:lol: boy u have a lot of goodies sitting their already. i too agree this is gonna be a really interesting thread.:munch: i will be watching and reading intently. thanks!:munch:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This has been in use for 10 years plus it is a prince It powers a front mounted snow blower I know the galvanized pipe is wrong pump is operated by using the PTO lever I have no issues with it

View attachment 338786
Thanks for posting. What GPM pump do you have? How many gallons is your reservoir? I like your anti-rotation device.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If efficiency were really an issue, you wouldn't be burning wood. You burn a lot of BTUs before the wood ever goes into the stove. Economy, maybe, efficiency, never. My dad always says "The best heat you get out of wood is the heat you make cutting & splitting it". I burn some wood in my shop, so I know how it is, I hate writing that check to the gas utility. The wood is an economical supplemental heat source, but I'd never try to heat with it exclusively. If you took the money you spent on saws, gas, oil & sharp chains for them, transporting the wood, splitting the wood, etc, you could pay the gas bill for half the winter & never have a sore back, cold fingers or toes. Having said all of that, there is something strangely gratifying about having conquered Mother Nature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts