Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do not burn wood. I also have not sold wood. From storms in 2011 and 2013 I have a lot wood to sell.

I have limbed it and cut into logs 6 to 10 foot long and piled it up. I cut it small enough to move out of my trails I wanted to reopen. I also have longer lengths the logger left and big "Y"s the logger left when cutting what he wanted.

Since most of the work is done this is not the same as cutting tops, no brush to deal with. Also all hard wood, no pines/furs. Mostly cherry, some oak, walnut, and sassafras. What would be a fair to me and cutter to sell on shares?

I really do not want to mess with cutting to size and splitting (no splitter) to sell.

Or if I were to sell out right, how do I price it? I know more work needs to be done (CUTTING TO SIZE, SPLITTING). If the going price is $150/cord, what should I charge for U-Cut fire wood? Or price per 8' pickup truck load?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Price around here is $110 per ton, tree length..................$200 per cord cut and split.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Down here, I can get cut and split wood for roughly $200/ cord. Price may vary $20-30 either way depending on when and where you buy. Don't know of anyone that buys tree length loads.

If you could figure up how many of your logs would be needed to make a full cord of 128 cf, you might get $60-80/ cord for it. Call some folks in your area selling firewood and see what they would do.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Zebra,

The guy south of me a bit near Hartford, is getting 80 bucks a Cord in Log length delivered.
Mostly Red Oak, Shag bark, Cherry and Cottonwood, with some Sassafrass.

He's clearing a lot of ground for the Pokagon and dosn't have time to process.

At that price he sells quite a bit to firewood guys that buy, and process to re-sell, as well as the Outdoor boiler guys.

I'd have to check with my Insurance guy if I was you, about letting strangers with chainsaws come out, and start cutting on the piles.

Having spent a couple days at a clear cut pile that was open to the public, I was shocked at the total lack of common sense on display.
No safety gear, chaps, eyepro. Folks wearing sneakers and T-shirts. Cutting on logs that were supporting part of the stack, and then jumping out of the way when things started to roll.
The public at large isn't too bright at times, and they tend to find a lawyer when Darwin shows up to educate them.

If you let folks cut, be carefull about keeping an eye on them.;)

I could ask around and see if anyone I know, would be interested in hauling logs that far, and get back with you if so.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Prices up here in the u.p. are around $1000 for 10 full cord 8' lengths delivered. A face cord is usually around $60, you pick it up. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I sure wish you were closer...I'd love to get a hold of some of that to resaw into lumber. You might advertize and see if a someone with a portable sawmill would want it. Cherry and walnut bring a pretty penny by the board foot (1"x12"x12" or 144 cu in)....even if its air dried .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kills me that you guys use that stuff for fire wood.. buddy up the road has a big band saw for logs.. and i have a band saw for resawing..

·
Registered
770 Posts
Kills me that you guys use that stuff for fire wood.. buddy up the road has a big band saw for logs.. and i have a band saw for resawing..
:lol:

Come on down. Bring a trailer.
This is one of a couple dozen 25-40"DBH Cherrys that got windthrown by one of last springs storms.
Thanks to the black fungus around here infecting everything that gets over 12" or so, and so much of the stuff, prices are below BTU value.
If a guy kept had his own mill and only sold good boards, and ran the scrap for heat, he could make a buck.

As it is. Cherry smells great, keeps things toasty, and adds a nice flavor to the brisket or Ribs on the grill.:fed:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Logger told me Cherry trees have smaller root balls and that's why I lost mainly Cherry trees.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have you called the logger guy and asked what he wants to come with the tri axle and hydraulic grabber/stacker and see about going that route. Maybe advertise yourself and pay him by the hour.

A lot of people just let industrious neighbors cut it up and sell it chances are you get some value back in labor help at a different time of the year.

I obviously don't know your local situation but often one can cut tops in the state forest left over from logging for real cheap. I know when working on the dirt bike trails they had us sigh the liability release for that purpose. Years ago I found a place with a processor and you could get the odd lengths left over from the logs for as much as you could pile in a pickup for $20, not split. Might also assess how much of wood transactions don't go through with the money end. I don't think wood going to a pellet making plant gets hardly any $. What about a place that makes electricity they passed rules that 3% or something like that (existing hydroelectric doesn't count) has to come from renewable. I haven't read much about that for years but some places were being built. I have wondered if that hasn't effected the firewood price.

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you called the logger guy and asked what he wants to come with the tri axle and hydraulic grabber/stacker and see about going that route. Maybe advertise yourself and pay him by the hour.

A lot of people just let industrious neighbors cut it up and sell it chances are you get some value back in labor help at a different time of the year.

I obviously don't know your local situation but often one can cut tops in the state forest left over from logging for real cheap. I know when working on the dirt bike trails they had us sigh the liability release for that purpose. Years ago I found a place with a processor and you could get the odd lengths left over from the logs for as much as you could pile in a pickup for $20, not split. Might also assess how much of wood transactions don't go through with the money end. I don't think wood going to a pellet making plant gets hardly any $. What about a place that makes electricity they passed rules that 3% or something like that (existing hydroelectric doesn't count) has to come from renewable. I haven't read much about that for years but some places were being built. I have wondered if that hasn't effected the firewood price.
The logger only wanted only logs 18" and larger, for cutting hardwood lumber. He has a commercial sawmill.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think it is harder to find a log truck to move a load of logs than a drop deck detachable to move a machine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Central Wisconsin pick up load of cut yourself left over tops $15. Cord of logs not cut $80. Face cord cut and split mixed hard wood $65

1 - 13 of 13 Posts