Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the pull types for a long time and love them.
I have a 5075e with a cat 2 quick hitch and want a 10 foot pull type, but I see several manufactures offer the semi.
Does anyone have a semi mount? pros - cons?

A ten foot 3pt isn't an option.

Another question, does the 5075e have the 540/1000rpm shaft that can be changed by swapping ends?
It doesn't look like mine does. It does have the 540e and PR trans.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I guess I am wondering why you do not want a 3pt 10ft brush hog. I have a 3pt Rhino 10ft and feel it is the best way to go. However I am a little disappointed that it will not work with my cat 1 iMatch. It is specified to be quick hitch compatible, but that must be cat 2 quick hitch as it is natively a cat 2 machine. The only difference between a 3pt and a semi-mount is that the 3pt will pick up the entire cutter, whereas with a semi-mount, it will only pick up the front, leaving it to run on the rear tires. Therefore, a semi-mount will swing with the tractor the same as a 3pt. That can be a problem in tight areas or along a fence line. A little turn of the steering wheel can throw the cutter into the fence row. The advantage of a 3pt or semi-mount is that you do not need to have a hyd cylinder to do the lifting of the cutter or to quickly change cutting heights. The pull type is definitely safer along a fence row. It probably also gives a cleaner cut during a turn, if you are doing a lot of turning. Another problem with a 3pt can be whether you have enough lift capacity to lift it. Mine is a rather light duty cutter and only weighs 1759#, however some of them can weigh considerably more. I am not sure what you were actually looking for her, but I hope this helps somewhat, if you just wanted to kick it around a little to help you make your decision.

Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3pt would be a little heavy for my tractor, I felt like. The semi I have seen have a Hyd cylinder on the rear wheels like a pull type they just swivel like a 3pt. I guess the biggest advantage to me on the pull type I can run around under trees easier and not have the limbs wearing my canopy out.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
The 3pt would be a little heavy for my tractor, I felt like. The semi I have seen have a Hyd cylinder on the rear wheels like a pull type they just swivel like a 3pt. I guess the biggest advantage to me on the pull type I can run around under trees easier and not have the limbs wearing my canopy out.

Yes you can have a hyd cylinder on a semi-mount, but it is not necessary as you can lift it from the 3pt arms, once you manually set the rear wheels to your desired cutting height. Whether a 3pt is too heavy for your tractor depends on the cutter. While I have not yet lifted my 1759# Rhino, I do not see a problem as I have no problem with my 1500# RFM. However, I suspect I will need to keep the bucket on the loader for ballast, which is not necessary when using my RFM. I believe you can get up to as much as 3000# on a 3pt really heavy duty model, so that could be a problem for you. It would be for me on my 4066R.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
Comparing to a pull type:
The Pros for a semi mount; easier backing, no worries about the angle of the PTO shaft when turning real sharp, and shorter overall package.
The Cons for semi mount; the swing on turns, not as easy to hookup.

The only advantages to a 3pt over a semi mount is you can quickly pick it up if you hit a hidden obstickle, and it can be used as rear ballast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts