Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wet sticky dough was supposed to proof over night for 12 hours. Then the baker slept in this morning.....15 hours later..
100_5104.JPG
Thought I had recovered and redeemed myself after cleaning up Mom's microwave oven.
100_5105.JPG
And then another senior moment struck and I forgot to steam bake the first loaf. No crispy hard crust there.
100_5107.JPG
In spite of all the failures even the pale looking one is good with the bacon corn chowder soup I made yesterday.
And Mom has forgotten about the mess I made in her microwave this morning.:lol:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The wet sticky dough was supposed to proof over night for 12 hours. Then the baker slept in this morning.....15 hours later..
View attachment 663974
Thought I had recovered and redeemed myself after cleaning up Mom's microwave oven.
View attachment 663976
And then another senior moment struck and I forgot to steam bake the first loaf. No crispy hard crust there.
View attachment 663978
In spite of all the failures even the pale looking one is good with the bacon corn chowder soup I made yesterday.
Wow that looks good! What time should I come over for some of that bacon corn chowder and homemade bread? :laugh:

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Opps wow that does look good:good2:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oscar, A loaf is going down to Hickory, NC tomorrow along with the soup but you'll have to be quick about it:laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
*burp* Looks pretty tasty!

I've tried making bread. No matter how many times I try, I can't seem to get it right. I always end up with a tiny solid brick of baked dough.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Bread machines

*burp* Looks pretty tasty!

I've tried making bread. No matter how many times I try, I can't seem to get it right. I always end up with a tiny solid brick of baked dough.
If you have trouble making bread, I recommend a bread machine. You can still end up with a hard brick but it's easier to figure out what went wrong. It took me a while but finally I can pretty much tell what the dough needs within about 5 minutes of kneading. Bricks are usually too dry dough, ingredients are too cold or you forgot yeast or sugar. . .

Don't laugh, I've done all of the above at least once.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had to pick one tool that made my bread baking a success it would be a digital scale.
Flour is a bi*tch to measure consistently and when you're trying to learn it can be confusing just what went wrong.Once I eliminated that variable things started becoming consistent. I weigh everything now.Not only is it more accurate, it's faster and fewer things to clean up.
Flour & water are 98% of the ingredients, a tablespoon of oil,or lard,a pinch of salt and yeast and you're on your way to some delicious home made bread.
Ya just can't take a nap when the bread is rising in mom's microwave oven. :lol:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
"Senior momentss in the kitchen"

I heard that spelling was the first thing to go. :hide: :laugh:

I had my own senior moment in the kitchen late last week. I put on a big pot of water to boil, sat down in my recliner to read GTT and forgot about the pot! :banghead: Sweetie came home and when I got up to greet her I could hear the pot boiling. I discretely went into the kitchen and turned the burner off. About half of the water had boiled off! :laugh:

The bread looks great! Making me look forward to making some cornbread next week to go with the ham and bean soup that I have planned for the leftover Christmas ham bone! :good2:

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

I happen to be the one who cleans up our microwave 99% of the time; and the includes the rest of the kitchen. We have an agreement...when I cook, I clean up the kitchen. When she cooks, I clean up the kitchen. That doesn't keep me from being chastised when the microwave exhibits evidence that some tidbit was left uncovered or was inadequately covered such that remnants remain on the interior. Now no one is more cautious than I; and she forgets that we have three Grandsons that are known to use this appliance, and that she is not always as tidy as she would like me to think.

Got my revenge last week; we had prepared some snacks for the Lodge, including a cheese sauce which she had put in a glass container/dispenser designed for liquids. The remains were beginning to dry out a bit by the time we got the thing home, and she decided that if she put it in the microwave, she could just pour most of it out and it would be easier to clean. So....she put it in the microwave WITHOUT A COVER. The thing burped big time, covering the inside of the microwave nicely with cheese. She mumbled something unintelligible; I just smiled and tried to look superior. Yeah, I stepped in and cleaned it up, but grinning all the time. She hid in the bathroom for about 15 minutes, and hasn't mention the word "microwave" for a week or so. :laugh:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorta long the same line....

Wife has some organic weed killer...vinegar and soap. Apparently she keeps it in the pantry in a vinegar jug... unmarked. I made a cucumber and tomato salad and vinegar is one of the ingredients. Couldn't figure out why the salad had a soapy taste.... :dunno:

A few weeks later she's making cookies. Grabs some brown sugar in a big zip lock and bakes away. Cookies are really salty. Guess she didn't see the kosher salt mixed in that bag of brown sugar I use for my salmon brine when I smoke my fish. :dunno: Revenge can be oh so sweet...and salty.

:lol:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I took a big ole scoop of whipped butter and dumped in my tea cup this morning. I actually stirred it all in and was putting the lid on before I realized what I did. :knownothing:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Senior moments in the kitchen

Does it count if you turn your house upside down looking for your car keys, and finally find them in the refrigerator?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts