1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Is there an advantage over other harvesters? They have been able to drop, limb and cut to length as long as I’ve known about them.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there an advantage over other harvesters? They have been able to drop, limb and cut to length as long as I’ve known about them.
Best I could tell it has a narrower wheel base but outriggers to keep it safe plus the saw is on the top of the arm. Most of the harvesters in our area have the cutter on the bottom. It has can change out the cutter/grapple for mulcher and other attachments.

Lots of interesting concepts but since it's a new machine only time will tell whether it makes sense or not.

Treefarmer

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
The machine may be new but the company has been around for quite a while. Excavators like that are very common in Europe.

If you look at the photo for 2013 in their history.

That photo was take at Gäubodenvolksfest in Straubing Germany. I have been to that fest many times and have seen their equipment before. Granted that was back in the 90s.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
'Tree dismantling' is a new term to me.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Best I could tell it has a narrower wheel base but outriggers to keep it safe plus the saw is on the top of the arm. Most of the harvesters in our area have the cutter on the bottom. It has can change out the cutter/grapple for mulcher and other attachments.

Lots of interesting concepts but since it's a new machine only time will tell whether it makes sense or not.

Treefarmer
Having watched the pros with the standard model I’m still not seeing and advantage. They stay upright with a standard track or wheeled base and what is cut off is scrap, too small for even the pulp mills to accept a few extra feet, and they definitely don’t waste any time that would allow for outrigger deployment.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having watched the pros with the standard model I’m still not seeing and advantage. They stay upright with a standard track or wheeled base and what is cut off is scrap, too small for even the pulp mills to accept a few extra feet, and they definitely don’t waste any time that would allow for outrigger deployment.
I think these are really designed for power line trimmers and tree services more than pure harvesters. I agree that regulars harvesters are really efficient at cutting and dropping although a friend of mine who ran a harvester basically said if you ran one long enough you would flip it sooner or later.

Treefarmer

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isn't there usually a non-conductive boom (or whatever it's called) involved for that?
Yep. I'm not sure if that one has a non conductive boom but one of the video clips shows them working around a power line.

Treefarmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts