Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having trouble locating the d-box on the 42 year old septic system at my parents house i did find the plans for it and they seem dead on i measured and can see the dark green box shape in the grass but i dug down with the loader on the 1025 and only hit the gravel (should i dig deeper) the location is pretty flat so how far down would it be. i know coaltrain had something going on with his septic. so hope i dont offend anyone with starting a new thread though mine was a different issue with septic systems :bigthumb:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,249 Posts
im having trouble locating the d-box on the 42 year old septic system at my parents house i did find the plans for it and they seem dead on i measured and can see the dark green box shape in the grass but i dug down with the loader on the 1025 and only hit the gravel (should i dig deeper) the location is pretty flat so how far down would it be. i know coaltrain had something going on with his septic. so hope i dont offend anyone with starting a new thread though mine was a different issue with septic systems :bigthumb:
You sure as heck didn't offend me. :lol: And, I wouldn't think it would offend anyone else.

Find the depth of the tank outlet. The D-box will slightly be deeper than the outlet. It may not be an actual box. It may consist of one, or more "Y" pipes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure as heck didn't offend me. :lol: And, I wouldn't think it would offend anyone else.

Find the depth of the tank outlet. The D-box will slightly be deeper than the outlet. It may not be an actual box. It may consist of one, or more "Y" pipes.
ok the drawing i got thats from the county health dept has a the septic tank and a smaller box. i hope this matches whats actually in the ground

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
From what I experienced recently - also digging with my loader - is that everything was quite a bit deeper than I thought it was. I was taking very small bites since I didn't want to damage anything with my bucket teeth.

I ended up doing what flyweight said above. I already had my tank exposed so I knew where the line exited it. I dug down next to the tank to find the pipe then followed it to where the junction was with the drain field. I didn't dig up the whole pipe - just spots along the way so I could follow where it was going.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I experienced recently - also digging with my loader - is that everything was quite a bit deeper than I thought it was. I was taking very small bites since I didn't want to damage anything with my bucket teeth.

I ended up doing what flyweight said above. I already had my tank exposed so I knew where the line exited it. I dug down next to the tank to find the pipe then followed it to where the junction was with the drain field. I didn't dig up the whole pipe - just spots along the way so I could follow where it was going.
ok thanks ill have to try that it down pouring know so it will have to wait till later

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Look where the waste line leaves the house and see if there is a clean out plug you can get to. Sending a snake down it a bit will give you the direction it goes. If it's non metal, send a snake down(carefully) and use a metal detector to trace it(in case there are bends). Be carefull about digging and busting up the box. It can get real ugly real fast.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
If it rains

If you hit a rainy spell, get a thin strong steel rod and probe for it. You can save a lot of digging. If you hit gravel you are probably over the actual iines as there is no reason for gravel around the D box.

I wish I had buried a wire in the trench with the line from the septic to the D box. It would have made it a snap to find. I did make a sketch and put in a couple of clean out ports but my line is over 125' from the septic to the D box.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
568 Posts
Look where the waste line leaves the house and see if there is a clean out plug you can get to. Sending a snake down it a bit will give you the direction it goes. If it's non metal, send a snake down(carefully) and use a metal detector to trace it(in case there are bends). Be carefull about digging and busting up the box. It can get real ugly real fast.
Years ago my BIL spent hours searching for his Mom's septic tank in the front yard of the house that his sister (my wife) and I are now renovating in southern Ohio. After many efforts of driving rods or spading in the most logical path from the house he brought in a backhoe and was able to locate the tank within a few scoops. My wife was home then and facilitated installing a concrete riser and cap. They also planted ornamental grass (aka " the boogeyman bush")just above the tank that remains to this day.

Once you locate your tank and/or cleanout, by all means mark it for future efforts to re-access it...

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
As stated, first find your septic tank. Then use a rod and a hammer as mentioned to find the D box, it should not be that deep, the system uses evaporation along with absorption, that's why they are designed at a certain depth! . You will get an idea where it is located by the exit pipe from the tank, but there could be a turn in the 4" pipe, (lightly use the rod and hammer routine and keep on track of the pipe, Those driveway fiberglass reflector rods work great for this with metal hammer point). If you dig to deep as stated you could break the D box (they are not that structural) and now try to get the pipes into that new "leveled" box,, Impossible without using fernco fittings. There Is also another method you can use; call a drain repair/unclogger company that uses a video probe, they can tell where the probe is on your property and you will find that box fast. Cost; average is between 2-300 hundred bucks, much cheaper than replacing that D box.. and they will find anything you need them to find.. Good luck. Remember a shovel is insurance to a backhoe if you think you are close...You may not even have to dig up anything after the video people are there! They have the technology at their disposal. no pun intended... Jeff

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i found it i was a foot to far over im going to have to jet the lines to get them cleaned out then put roebic k570 Leach And Drain Field Opener and wait and see the tank and the d box are in good shape i think the problem is the system is 42 years old and nobody has done maintenance other than pumping the tank out

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive jeted the lines halfway and some gump comes out the water went down on the d-box about an 1/8 inch or so so i think this might fix my problem if i keep jetting and then put some of that robic stuff in to clean the leatch bed will post pics later

·
Registered
286 Posts
I went through this a few months ago. I can't remember the cleaner I used but you want to make sure it's like 93% sulfuric acid. That's what will eat organic matter in the pipes. Just be very careful with this stuff do not get any on your skin. Not even a drop. Wear a respirator gloves and good protection

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i rented a jetter and it has a water blister on jetter line so im wondering if i put a 4" tee fitting and the a 4" pipe sticking above ground and then had the vol fire dept come with one of our pumpers and hook a fire house to the pipe sticking above ground and flush water down it to clean out the lateral lines on it if that would work might have to get a fitting for the top to screw on the fire hose (note-we can adjust the preasure so it wont blow the pipe up. i understand that)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you would do better if you found the end of the lateral pipe and flush from that end would be better. Flushing down the pipe won't get it out since it has no where to go

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think you would do better if you found the end of the lateral pipe and flush from that end would be better. Flushing down the pipe won't get it out since it has no where to go
i endded up getting the piece of sh*&& rentall to run and got the water to run clear out of the lines i also found that the lines are angled up so the water wants to go toward the tank and not away and it only has 2 lateral lines on a distribution box that has 6 ports but only 3 are used the tank and the 2 lines. so if we ever get a back hoe for the 1025r we will add more gravel and lines

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
i endded up getting the piece of sh*&& rentall to run and got the water to run clear out of the lines i also found that the lines are angled up so the water wants to go toward the tank and not away and it only has 2 lateral lines on a distribution box that has 6 ports but only 3 are used the tank and the 2 lines. so if we ever get a back hoe for the 1025r we will add more gravel and lines
After my experience with my septic system last month I really thought about a backhoe - just can't afford it. Then would also have to buy a dedicated mower.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it seems to be working time will tell. i flushed the lines till i got clear water. then put the gravel back in the hole i dug and dirt and smoothed it off then did the same fore the box and then added some septic stuff for leach beds and like i said seems to be working so far. but would still like to some time add 3 more lines to the leach system

·
Registered
286 Posts
My pipe to the leach field was plugged. I decided to just put a new one in with sch 40 pipe. When doing this I was looking for the D box but don't have one. Just goes to a T and then left and right. Don't know how big the field is but think very small. Putting in a new D box and field this weekend so will see how it goes. Hoping for 165' of 3' wide trench

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
My pipe to the leach field was plugged. I decided to just put a new one in with sch 40 pipe. When doing this I was looking for the D box but don't have one. Just goes to a T and then left and right. Don't know how big the field is but think very small. Putting in a new D box and field this weekend so will see how it goes. Hoping for 165' of 3' wide trench
I would love to see some pics - at least of the layout before you cover it up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts