Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out cleaning up after the dogs prior to mowing my lawn, and noticed that as my wife was doing the dishes, I could audibly hear the gurgle of water in the area my septic d-box should be. Is this normal? Or would it be time to grab a shovel and investigate further?

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Seems normal to me. I can hear water running through mine if it's quiet outside.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is several types of systems. Mine is 2 tanks. First tank (solids) gravity drains into a second tank (liquid). When the liquid tank fills up, a float switch pumps it out to my D box. The only time I could hear water at the D box was when the liquid tank was pumping. My D box has a small concrete lid on it for cleaning purposes. Many times they get overgrown and lost.

I do hear water draining from the house into the first tank any time the water is on.

I'm not a plumber, so I hope that helps some.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
You hear water running in a pipe 18" underground??

The pipe between my septic tank and distribution box is only about 4" to 6" under ground and the distro box has a vent riser.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The pipe between my septic tank and distribution box is only about 4" to 6" under ground and the distro box has a vent riser.
I'm dumb I guess what is a distrubution box? I thought it just goes from the tank to the drain line field?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Ohhhh. I've never seen septic plumbing that shallow. I've seen the risers at the box and the ends of the drain field trenches but most people seem to remove them since they look ridiculous.

I'm dumb I guess what is a distrubution box? I thought it just goes from the tank to the drain line field?
It's where the line coming from the tank splits to go to your multiple drain field trenches. Basically a plumbing manifold with the one line in and two or three or four or whatever out to your trenches

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas, I'll probably cut the sod away and see what I can find, but at least I don't feel like I need to tackle it first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine setup is just like @Randog's, two tanks, solid and liquid. Liquid has float and pump to pump out to distribution box and out to fields. I can hear splashing/water at times, that's normal. The only problem I had was the pump alarm/light tripped two years ago. There are actually two floats, one for pump, one higher up for alarm.

I really did not want to remove the covers to take a look/see so just cycled the value to distribution box and the valves feeding the field lines. Pump alarm goes off and it's been fine ever since. Some goober clogged a value I guess and cycling it closed and open cleared it. Cross fingers, and knock wood.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Ohhhh. I've never seen septic plumbing that shallow. I've seen the risers at the box and the ends of the drain field trenches but most people seem to remove them since they look ridiculous.

It's where the line coming from the tank splits to go to your multiple drain field trenches. Basically a plumbing manifold with the one line in and two or three or four or whatever out to your trenches
ok, thanks that makes sense. I always thought the leech lines were just plumbed into the mainline at different places

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a 3 tank with a pump chamber that pumps through a line to the D box that distributes it through 4 60’ perf pipes. If you hear water and don’t see any wet spots, you got good perk on your ground. Let it flow into wherever it wants. There should be a check valve at the outfall of the D box and one on the outgoing line of the pump chamber and the septic tank inlet in case of flooding. Hearing water means your pump chamber is hitting the float on the submersible pump and it’s transferring grey water to the d box and then gets dispersed from there. Perfectly normal. Let it do it’s thing

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Thanks fellas, I'll probably cut the sod away and see what I can find, but at least I don't feel like I need to tackle it first thing tomorrow.
I open ours every couple of years.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
Thanks. Mine just out maybe fifty yards before the first leech lines take off and maybe thats all there is. Mine was installed at the earliest in 1944 and all original
I think mine is about 20’ from the tank.

I open ours every couple of years.
When I thought I had an issue a few years ago I dug around with my loader (with tooth bar) but never found it. I was making a big mess in a hurry taking 5’ scoops...

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
We have three 1000 gallon tanks. Solids tank and liquid tank. Then there is a third tank which has a lift pump which sits on a block about in the middle of the tank. As the liquid gets to about 2/3 full it kicks in and drops the level down to about the 1/3 level. If it gets above 2/3 full it turns on a trouble light in the yard. The pump pushes it to a splitter where there are ball valves where I can direct the flow to one of two drain fields which each have their own D box. The new one or the old one.

When the pump is running I can hear a lot of noise if standing near the cover. This is because there is a hole in the pipe so the effluent can drain back clearing the pipe so it doesn't freeze up in the winter. It is only about a foot down so it would (and has) frozen up on us.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
When I thought I had an issue a few years ago I dug around with my loader (with tooth bar) but never found it. I was making a big mess in a hurry taking 5’ scoops...
One of my basic drawings ...
1596473362069.png

And then pictures...
IMG_1408.JPG

I also build up our distribution boxes using multiple covers so I can see them.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I think mine is about 20’ from the tank.

I think in my case they wanted to move further away from the well head. You could have done some serious damage with that tooth bar.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
We have three 1000 gallon tanks. Solids tank and liquid tank. Then there is a third tank which has a lift pump which sits on a block about in the middle of the tank. As the liquid gets to about 2/3 full it kicks in and drops the level down to about the 1/3 level. If it gets above 2/3 full it turns on a trouble light in the yard. The pump pushes it to a splitter where there are ball valves where I can direct the flow to one of two drain fields which each have their own D box. The new one or the old one.

When the pump is running I can hear a lot of noise if standing near the cover. This is because there is a hole in the pipe so the effluent can drain back clearing the pipe so it doesn't freeze up in the winter. It is only about a foot down so it would (and has) frozen up on us.
Wow! Three thousand gallon septic tanks that's a lotta poopin :poop:. Are you a politician?:)

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Wow! Three thousand gallon septic tanks that's a lotta poopin :poop:. Are you a politician?:)
It sure came in handy two winters ago....

As I kind of hinted our septic froze up two winters ago. We had replaced our lift pump and a check valve was installed on the output of the lift pump. A hole had not been drilled into the pipe above the check valve so when the effluent was pushed up hill to the drain field it pumped until it got below the shutoff point and then the check valve held the effluent in the pipe that was only about 1' deep in places. No problem until Jan and we hit temps of -25F or so and the frost shot well past the 1' mark and froze up the pipe going to the drain field. Keep in mind that the first two tanks are basically full all the time. It fills the first, then liquids over flow to the second, then eventually overflow to the 3rd where the lift pump is that bounces between 1/3 and 2/3 full. We knew we had an issue when the light came on and we were a little over 3/4 full on that last tank. Of course by then we got snow but it was too late. After all these years I never marked where the cement covers were. I had been marking them with driveway markers every year before then but never needed it. Well I was out with a shovel looking for them. At least it wasn't that much snow. Then trying to open them up when the cement covers were frozen to the ground. I found putting a chain on the metal handle, lifting it with the 3pt to put constant pressure on them while heating the cover with a propane weed burner worked well. Once we got in there I had the septic company out and they pumped out all 3000 gallons. I asked what we could do? He said the drain field is frozen so wait until spring and that there were a lot of calls for this issue that year. We haven't needed 3000 gallons of capacity before this time but it sure was nice. We started plugging the laundry sink and hauling that water out in totes and dumping it in the yard all winter. That was water from the furnace, water softener and laundry. I was shocked at how much water we were hauling out. 20-40 gallons a day.

We made it to April or so once the ground thawed without another pump out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts